Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New gun break in procedure and cleaning process/tips
 Login/Join

posted
I have limited experience with guns. I have mostly used a 3030 and 308 lever action to hunt deer and 1 plains game hunt RSA. I've just bought a win model 70 CRF in 375HH. This is my first bolt action "lefty"

I want to learn the best procedures for proper cleaning i.e. non metal cleaning rod ect. any advice you want to share. I have also heard of break in procedures. Can some of you share you advice.

I have always used an aluminum rod with a brass brush with hoppy cleaner and patches. From the reading on this forum I am way off base.
Thank
George K

Posts: 20 | Location: MOnroeville PA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Break in procedures are very individualized, some people swear by them, some don't.

I guess I error on the conservative side and always follow a break in procedure.

1. At least 100 passes through a new unfired barrel with bore paste. Clean thouroughly.
2. Shoot one, clean x5 cycles
3. Shoot three, clean x5 cycles
4. During load development I'll clean after every three. If it's an older gun that I have shot quite a bit I will stretch that to 9 rounds.
5.. After that, I clean whenever I feel is necessary. I tend to clean after each shooting session, but for hunting season I sight and leave until after the season.

I will say that I think the break procedure is more beneficial to factory barrels than the premium barrels like Pac-nor, Lilja, Douglas etc.

That's my 2 cents and nothing scientific to back it up.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote