Find
Notify
Tools

Chemical Cleaner - Robla Solomil
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Dom
posted
Since the topic lately is cleaning, abrasive, polishing, etc., Was wondering if anyone has any comments on Robla Solomil. Not sure if you can get it in the states or not, that may be why I never see much reference to it.

Anyone use it? Would appreciate any thoughts on it, it is powerful stuff, just take the cap off and take a whiff . . . Cool I've been using it for a few years and it appears to do a good job, though I am far from being an expert on cleaning and whoops, I don't own a Bore Scope Wink Waidmannsheil, Dom.

Ballistol Robla SoloMIL

Robla Solo MIL Barrel Cleaner
Tested and unsurpassed also in the field of military use! What is good has got one enemy – that which is better. This is the reason why Robla Solo was developed further and replaced by Robla Solo MIL. On the basis of the excellent results of a series of tests performed by the German Army’s Institute of Military Research, there followed the decision to use Robla Solo MIL even with special units of the armed forces.
Robla Solo MIL consists of very special compounds including ammonia. This formula has not only the power to dissolve any residue of copper, tombac and zinc but also lead, the number one enemy to the precision of a gun. Steel, chrome and nickel are not attacked by Robla Solo MIL.

In case of heavy metal residue it is a good idea to put Robla Solo MIL into the barrel, which must be plugged on one side by means of cork or gum stopper, and then wait for a couple of hours, best overnight, until Robla Solo MIL has done its job. If there is just slight residue to be removed, it suffices to pull a tow (Sucol, Sucolin or Sucolin Extra) or a felt stopper soaked with Robla Solo MIL through the barrel several times.
Further valuable and important hints are to be found in our Guide To The Care Of Weapons or in the leaflet included in the package.

-------- There are those who only reload so they can shoot, and then there are those who only shoot so they can reload. I belong to the first group. Dom ---------

Posts: 728 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used this about fifteen years ago cleaning firearms in a gun store.
A friend brought back 15 bottles for me from Germany at a great price - free.

The only problem that I had was one time I left this stuff sit in two warm barrels on a hot night while having supper.

The Roblo Solo dried up after one hour in the barrels and could only be removed with fresh solution.

One barrel survived the .240 Weatherby - the Ruger Douglas .25-06 barrel was very badly pitted in the throat .
From 3/8 " round groups at 100 to 4" vertical groups at 200- trashed at 280 total rounds fired.

These two were my barrels-the customers guns all were fine -lots of them.

So follow the instructions and fill the barrel completely over full to avoid this problem if leaving in barrel for more than five minutes.

And because the barrel is now very clean run a patch of Marvel Mystery oil through before using or storing that barrel to avoid rust .

Glenn

Posts: 200 | Location: Calgary- Alberta- Canada | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When there is really subborn copper smear in the barrel, there are two ways to remove it reliably: 1. Robla or 2. JB's

Robla contains ammonia and is capable of pitting barrels when left in the bore too long and allowing oxygen to access this area.

So, either wipe out and flush with oil after 10 min. or fill the barrel completely, seal it air tight and leave overnight.

One of Us
Picture of Dom
posted Hide Post
Seems like it's not very popular, whether because it's hard to get, never heard or, or used incorrectly.

I have always just run patches thru, let sit a very few minutes, then a couple more patches then dry patch a few and then oil.

I've never left it in too long or used the "fill the barrel overnight" method.

I think if you use it carefully and correctly it is great stuff, just no whiffing it! It is definitely strong stuff.

-------- There are those who only reload so they can shoot, and then there are those who only shoot so they can reload. I belong to the first group. Dom ---------

one of us
posted Hide Post
Is it Ballistol with amnonia added or something completely different?

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
Is it Ballistol with amnonia added or something completely different?

Definitely not Ballistol in the sense of the Ballistol oil. It is the consistency of water, and is one of the products of the Klever Ballistol company. I'll have to look on my bottle tonight to see exactly what they list as ingredients. Klever was established in 1874 as a chemical company.