New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shotgun Bore
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Smoothbore, trap gun, (Browning Citori 425). It's smooth bore, shooting lead shot trap loads w/ plastic cup wads.

I get streaks in the tube. I run a patch saturated w/ Hoppe's #9 on a 1/2" rod. No "jag," no brush, no swab.

I'm getting about 99.9% of the fouling out of the bore. Besides which, it's not rifled, not like fouling is going to mess up the pattern.

I wipe down the action, polymer lube on the metal parts, wax the stock.

Seems to work for me.

Any suggestions?

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
I do 95% of my smoothbore barrel cleaning with a Boresnake. Twice a year I drag out the stainless spiral brush (can't recall the trade name) and use some Hoppe's for a spit shine. Every outing I wipe the bearing surfaces clean before I start and re-lube (Superposed). Every year, once a year, I break it down, pull the firing pins and clean them and the action, re-lube and re-assemble.

If you start to notice the firing pin (especially the under barrel) dragging when you break it, it's most likely gunk in the firing pin holes. The most overlooked cleaning chore with O/U shotguns. Needs it every 10,000 to 20,000 rounds or once year, whichever comes first or is easiest to remember.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Mort Canard
posted Hide Post
Since you shoot a modern O/U you also need to remove the choke tubes every few shooting sessions and clean the plastic buildup off the big end of the choke tubes. This stuff builds up and can change the patterning of the gun if you get to much in the tubes.

For every action, there is an equal and opposite malfunction.

Posts: 567 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 02 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How do you clean it out Mort??

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Mort Canard
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fish30114:
How do you clean it out Mort??

After most shooting sessions I run a bore brush down the barrels a few times. Every so often I pull the choke tubes out of the barrels and the choke tubes out of the carrying case in my shooting vest. If there is plastic crud in any of the tubes I take a variable speed drill motor and spin a bore brush in the choke tubes. I usually hold the choke tube with a cheap leather work glove to minimize the chance of barking my fingers with the bore brush. I have a reversible drill motor so I run the bore brush forwards and backwards. If there is a lot of plastic crud I sometimes soften it up with with a gun solvent such as Gunscrubber. I usually lightly oil the bore after cleaning with a mop that has some gun oil such as Tetra-gun.

For every action, there is an equal and opposite malfunction.

Posts: 567 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 02 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have the same exact gun, same exact use. Trap loads.

Seemed like the bore was "pretty clean" with this Hoppe's #9, I use a 1/2" dowel with a plastic tubing "jag" on the end. Run Hoppe's down the tube from the breech on a cotton patch -- T-shirt or old cotton socks. (Not rocket science.)

Then, upon the suggestion of one of the trap members, a brass solvent like "Shooter's Choice." A solvent patch. Let sit. Solvent patch. Let sit. Get that ol' bore sopped up with solvent.

Then, a tight, dry patch. What I got was a patch load of plastic wad from inside the tube.

I use a pipe cleaner and Hoppe's on the compensator holes. Pull out the choke tubes and lubricate the threads, "gun grease" -- which is probably just petroleum jelly.

Grease up the action lugs, and go forth!

I use a polymer lube on the steel/blue surfaces.

Trap guns -- like fine dogs and vintage Scotch.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thansk Mort and OXO, I've got several drills and some bore brushes, I was thinking about soaking the choke tubes in a jar of something overnight, just don't know what--but I know how to spin a brush in the drill, and I do have a couple of leather shop gloves!

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Here is what i do with my shotgun bore and it really works well

http://oldgobbler.com/TheForum...p/topic,30351.0.html

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tiggertate:
...Twice a year I drag out the stainless spiral brush (can't recall the trade name) and use some Hoppe's for a spit shine. ...
That sounds like the Hoppe's "Tornado" Brush and it is indeed excellent for non-rifled Barrels and Revolver Cylinders.

The "side" of the wire does the scrubbing instead of a wire end. I've not needed a motor to spin the Tornado Brush, just some kind of good Bore Cleaner and a regular Cleaning Rod.

Good Hunting and clean 1-shot Kills.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote