Find
Notify
Tools

Who starts cleaning a warm barrel?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of CDH
posted
Lately I have been swabbing my barrel a time or two at the range as I start to pack up. I figure the warm barrel will help the loosening process...I've tried CLP and Hoppes.

I was wondering if some of the cheaper solvents, like Hoppes, might have some of the more aggressive solvents evaporated out by doing this. Any thoughts?

I think the CLP works better doing this, but Hoppes seems to work better at the bench at home...but this is VERY unscientific...

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
it's easier to clean a warm barrel.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nobody has too much of a choice at a match.

Bob

Posts: 529 | Location: Harrison, Maine - Pensacola, Fl. | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
CDH
When I'm shooting, I try to swamp out the barrel every 20 rounds. After the barrel gets hot/warm I run several brush fulls solvent down the barrel, set the rifle aside, muzzle down, while shooting another or BSing.
This especially works well with the AR10s. Really wet the bore with Montana Extreme, set it aside with the muzzle down, keeping the solvent and crud out of the action and continue shooting.
That new, least wise to me, Remington bore cleaner with abrasive in it really goes after copper fouling, combined with the Montana Extreme.
The rifles all go home clean, ready for the gun safe.
Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yea, that abrasive stuff does a barrel a lot of good.

Bob

Posts: 529 | Location: Harrison, Maine - Pensacola, Fl. | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by b beyer:
Yea, that abrasive stuff does a barrel a lot of good.

Don't know if you are agreeing or being sarcastic.
My Remington 25-60 will get coppered up after 20 or so rounds that JB or the Remington stuff are the only way to clean out the accumulation.
Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote