THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUN CLEANING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gun Cleaning Forum    Can I store my rifles and shotguns in silicone socks in the safe?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can I store my rifles and shotguns in silicone socks in the safe?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What is the consensus on the subject? I always have a dehumidifier of some sort running.

Posts: 1278 | Location: The Bluegrass State | Registered: 21 October 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No problem that I have found.

"Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself."
Mark Twain

Posts: 663 | Location: Texas | Registered: 04 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, but not forever.

NRA Benefactor Member
US Navy Veteran

Posts: 1056 | Location: Brownstown, Michigan | Registered: 19 April 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't know for sure but I suspect the material could collect/adsorb moisture and hold it against the firearm.

I wipe down with G-96 rag and store in gun locker with Golden Rod. Can also use a low wattage light bulb.

Hip

Posts: 1820 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Curious, why would you? Is there some benefit?

Posts: 1131 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 04 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
That is the wrong question and will get different answers from guys who live in states with no humidity, and states that have 95% humidity like I do (corn produces humidity). Worse than Florida.
Use a dehumidifier; If you don't, you will get rust, no matter what socks you store your guns in. If you live in Arizona, it won't matter either.
Now, if you have acid or salt on your guns, they will rust no matter what you do. Like from finger prints and corrosive ammo. Just not as bad in low humidity.

Posts: 17102 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So do the socks have any benefit as a moisture barrier? The dehumidifier is a no brainer in high humidity areas.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I live in Houston, humidity is akin to a rain forest. For over 50 years I have used Rusteprufe comes in a glass jar with a chamois. I have from time to time used a Golden Rod to keep moisture at bay. I use the socks as well and have done so for years. I think they do afford some protection against dings and dents. I have never had an issue with rust.

"Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself."
Mark Twain

Posts: 663 | Location: Texas | Registered: 04 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
The socks are not an impregnable barrier as they are not sealed, but the silicone that touches the steel does prevent moisture from reaching it. The only way to get a barrier is to shrink wrap your guns. I even have mold growing on some of my Mausers that are in the rack away from the dehumidifier that seems not to get enough air movement. No rust though.

Posts: 17102 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As long as there is still enough silicone in it to wick to metal, they will offer added protection…

But there will be no obvious sign that they dried out or the cotton has more water than silicone.

You won’t see light rust flecking as the gun will be covered, you will only notice what is there when you remove the sock… may be way too late.

I really don’t see an advantage to this over using a good dehumidifying system (goldenrod, chemical, whatever) in the first place. I suppose it would add protection against mild safe dings, but you would need to take them out and replace the sock (if it’s for rust protection) periodically. How often? No idea. Probably depends on the sock and how well it was treated.

The cotton will be somewhat hydroscopic so it would be worse than nothing if your humidity varies a lot at times.

I’ve seen safe stored guns with bad rust hidden by cotton socks when they have been left there for years. The rust pattern is identical to the cloth weave..

Posts: 10589 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info everyone.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
That is the wrong question and will get different answers from guys who live in states with no humidity, and states that have 95% humidity like I do (corn produces humidity). Worse than Florida.
Use a dehumidifier; If you don't, you will get rust, no matter what socks you store your guns in. If you live in Arizona, it won't matter either.
Now, if you have acid or salt on your guns, they will rust no matter what you do. Like from finger prints and corrosive ammo. Just not as bad in low humidity.

This is true. Pay attention to DPCD....

Posts: 10146 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you ever try to touch up the finish on a stock that has been stored in silicone, you will regret your decision to ever store it that way.
Phil

Posts: 352 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 09 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bpesteve
posted Hide Post
When I moved to Tucson in '79 I thought that all my rust problems were over.

My first several months there involved a lot of 12 hour shifts and I didn't look through the safe very much. By the time I did nearly all the guns were rusted to one degree or other.

That's when I discovered that many homes there have what they call "swamp coolers", which basically amount to pushing hot air through wet matting to cool the air evaporatively. It never occurred to me that the cooler was blowing wet air through the house all the time keeping the inside as humid as a jungle even though outside air was bone dry.

We moved to a house with real air conditioning soon after that.

Posts: 967 | Location: paradise with an ocean view | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I been using socks for many years. Not so much for rust prevention but to prevent the little dings that always seem to happen when moving rifles around. So far I have no found any negatives to the socks other than the cost of buying them.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6601 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phil McFall:
If you ever try to touch up the finish on a stock that has been stored in silicone, you will regret your decision to ever store it that way.
Phil

tu2

DRSS

Posts: 1905 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rockdoc:
quote:
Originally posted by Phil McFall:
Phil

tu2

Hmmm... My silicone socks must be different. Just finished putting 4 coats of boiled linseed on a Garand that's been in a sock since forever. No issues.

Posts: 106 | Location: Wet Side, WA | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I store every other rifle in silicone socks in my safe just to prevent the safe dings from moving them around.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12534 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote