New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reusing tumbling media
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
How many times is reasonable to re-use corn cob or walnut media? Do you guys use it until it really doesn't do the job and 'freshen it up' or just one tumble and toss?
Thanks

Posts: 31 | Location: Connecticut | Registered: 13 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had my media in the tumbler for well over a year. I just run the thing for about two hours and the cases come out looking pretty good. Got a call from my shootin' buddy last night about some stuff he's got that supposedly rejuvenates the media. I've seen the cases that have been cleaned with this stuff. They look like little sticks of gold. Really shiny. Media is not to be thrown out after one use-- it's far too expensive to do that. I go to the pet store and buy reptile bedding, also known as crushed walnut hulls. A ten-pound bag is about eleven bucks. Your media will get dirty after you've used it for a while. Just remove the top of the tumbler, turn it on and set it outside on a windy day. The wind will blow the dust out. If it isn't windy, set up a 20-inch box fan in front of it and create your own wind. I haven't tried washing it because I don't have several large cookie sheets on which to dry it in my oven, but it's an interesting idea...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
I really like the blue liquid that Dillon sells for an additive to media. Keeps the dust down almost completely, and the brass looks great with it. I run a cap full in my media everytime I use it......

Mac

Mac

Posts: 1722 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RaySendero
posted Hide Post
I use the powdered additive with corncob. When it shows signs of not cleaning as well it throw it a second pack of additive. When it shows these signs again - I toss it!

________
Ray

Posts: 1786 | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I havn't changed mine in years....I just keep adding more car wax.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 500nitro
posted Hide Post
Ted, +1

Harris Safaris
PO Box 853
Gillitts
RSA 3603

www.southernafricansafaris.co.za
https://www.facebook.com/pages...=aymt_homepage_panel

"There is something about safari life that makes you forget all your sorrows and feel as if you had drunk half a bottle of champagne." - Karen Blixen,

Posts: 1069 | Location: Durban,KZN, South Africa | Registered: 16 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Naaahhhh, life's too short to be screwing around with media. In the spring (late winter) when I start getting the fever, I get a new batch and use it all spring, summer and fall and dump it the next spring.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you don't gunk it up with unnecessary chemicals, walnut media lasts practically forever. You have to pour it into a bucket from about 2 feet up every once in a while to get the dust out and add a bit from time to time to replace the bit that got turned to dust. This is also something you can do when returning the media to the tumbler from the bucket under your separator. All the brass needs to be is clean. If you want to shine it up a little add a couple teaspoons of scouring powder from time to time.

If the enemy is in range, so are you. - Infantry manual

Posts: 494 | Location: The drizzle capitol of the USA | Registered: 11 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wasbeeman:
Naaahhhh, life's too short to be screwing around with media. In the spring (late winter) when I start getting the fever, I get a new batch and use it all spring, summer and fall and dump it the next spring.

+1

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You should be abe to use it many many times.

But it does depend on how dirty your brass gets, baised on the powder used, firearm shot in and if it its the ground.

H&K 91's "dirty" up the brass.

So I will tumble for a couple of hours in
my "dirty" media, and then retumble in cleaner media.

Well actually I use a Dillon vibrator.
Same for some other semiauto brass.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
For very dirty brass I use Iosso liquid cleaner for 5 minuets then rinse with water, air dry,
then tumble overnight in corn cob and wax......super shinny.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
My corncob media is easily 5 years old, I put some strips of torn up paper towels in there which collects the gunk, and give it a shot of rejuvenator every once in a while.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Boss Hoss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mark:
My corncob media is easily 5 years old, I put some strips of torn up paper towels in there which collects the gunk, and give it a shot of rejuvenator every once in a while.

Just use it until it gets too dirty to work. Then pitch it----the additives to be added to dirty media have abrasives that I do not in my bores or chambers.

Posts: 1004 | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of M4Finny
posted Hide Post
Try this trick folks .... For those of you who use dryer sheets to soften your laundry, don't throw them away after your clothes are dry.

Instead, put one or two used dryer sheets in your tumbler filled with used media (with or without brass in it) and tumble like you normally would. Small particles of dirt, grime and burned powder residue cling to the dryer sheet. Over time, this will lengthen the life of your media.

Psalm 109:8 "Let his days be few; And let another take his office."

Posts: 31 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 03 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Instead, put one or two used dryer sheets in your tumbler filled with used media (with or without brass in it) and tumble like you normally would.

I did this today. The two sheets turned a dark, dusty beige in just a few minutes. Now, I'm going to start looking for used dryer sheets wherever I can find 'em...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use mine over and over until it doesn't do much after 4-6 hours of tumbling, then I throw it and pour new stuff in. over time the abrasive edges of the media grind down so it doesn't work as well. Havent tryed the rejuvinator liquid because I usually get at least 20 uses, full of cases, before I throw it out

Posts: 973 | Location: Rapid City, SD | Registered: 08 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I haven't changed the media in my tumbler for at least a year and I just tumbled a batch last nite and it came out looking as good as ever. I plan on changing it when it quits doing a good job.
Jason

Posts: 144 | Location: sw Michigan | Registered: 19 February 2009Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
lasts for years ...

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38460 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can get 50 pound bags of ground walnut shells from the feed store for less than $10. Fills my tumbler up at least 10 times. I pitch it every couple of months

Posts: 569 | Location: Escaped to Montana  | Registered: 01 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I can get 50-pound bags of ground walnut shells from the feed store for less than $10.

That's great economy! Better than $11 for a ten-pound bag of reptile bedding at the pet store...

One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:
I havn't changed mine in years....I just keep adding more car wax.

Out of curiosity--- which car wax?

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
At this time I am using liquid Nu-Finish but have used many types....even from the tub paste. They all work good.

One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
Interesting.

I have always just added a "media activator" from Midway , Graff's etc

(except , the time when I was about 10 and poured Dad's Brasso into the heap---Got two lectures-- one on ammonia's effect on weakening the brass and one on keeping my hands off other peoples things Eeker )

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M4Finny:
Try this trick folks .... For those of you who use dryer sheets to soften your laundry, don't throw them away after your clothes are dry.

Instead, put one or two used dryer sheets in your tumbler filled with used media (with or without brass in it) and tumble like you normally would. Small particles of dirt, grime and burned powder residue cling to the dryer sheet. Over time, this will lengthen the life of your media.

Tried this, after reading your advice Big Grin, and wasn't impressed, so I threw in a couple of new sheets, which did pick up a bunch of crap.
Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I threw in eight sheets I saved up. I let the thing run for maybe half an hour. The sheets came out a very dark shade of gray. I can now run my tumbler for two hours and the clear plastic top has very little dust on it. The best way I've found to get the dust out is to run the thing outside on a windy day or put a fan in front of it and let it run a while. It works...

one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
I have used the walnut hull media for several years before replacing it. It does take a little longer as the media ages, but it still works.

But lately, I discovered something even better.

I use a Thumler's tumbler, and I found that about 1.5 cups of water, and about 1.5 cups of steel BB's (about 1,500) and ONE DROP of dish soap and an hour in the tumbler and the cases look brand new.

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1961 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by homebrewer:
quote:

I threw in eight sheets I saved up. I let the thing run for maybe half an hour. The sheets came out a very dark shade of gray. I can now run my tumbler for two hours and the clear plastic top has very little dust on it. The best way I've found to get the dust out is to run the thing outside on a windy day or put a fan in front of it and let it run a while. It works...

I wash my clothes at the corner coin-op laundry. There are always lots of dryer sheets left in the dryers, in the trash and on the floor. I go home with a fistful every time. I pick up the ones that are pretty much clean and when I use them, I cut them into strips because putting them in whole does not allow them to circulate very well through the rolling media. I lay out and smooth out four or five of them, cut them in half across their width, then in half again, then cut the strip across its length into a square. I now have 32 pieces (40 pieces for five whole sheets) of approximately two inches square to flutter and flow between the granules, picking up that dust with every motion. Gotta love it, huh?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Posted 19 February 2010 08:43 Hide Post

quote:
Instead, put one or two used dryer sheets in your tumbler filled with used media (with or without brass in it) and tumble like you normally would.

I did this today. The two sheets turned a dark, dusty beige in just a few minutes. Now, I'm going to start looking for used dryer sheets wherever I can find 'em...

Does that mean we'll be seeing you lurking in the dark corners at the local laundromats?

Posts: 168 | Location: People's Republic of New Jersey | Registered: 03 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thndrchiken asks,
quote:
Does that mean we'll be seeing you lurking in the dark corners at the local laundromats?

No. I usually wash my clothes during the early to middle afternoon. I try to be there when young mothers with screaming, uncontrollable kids are not...

one of us
Picture of Mort Canard
posted Hide Post
quote:
At this time I am using liquid Nu-Finish but have used many types....even from the tub paste. They all work good.

thumb Ted's got the right idea! Nu-Finish is great stuff and the MSDS says it has no ammonia. I occasionally poor the media from one bucket to another in a nice stiff Kansas breeze. Then another batch of brass.

Mort

For every action, there is an equal and opposite malfunction.

Posts: 567 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 02 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Hey Mort,
I also feel strongly that the car wax protects the brass a bit.

one of us
Picture of Mort Canard
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hey Mort,
I also feel strongly that the car wax protects the brass a bit.

Makes sense to me! ...also makes it nice and shiny! dancing

For every action, there is an equal and opposite malfunction.

Posts: 567 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 02 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use walnut hulls and Nu Finish in my Dillon tumblers. I run them outside with the lids off. I also add a dryer sheet to each batch as the wife generates plenty of those. I just keep using it until it gets too black to stand.

Some weekends I might polish 5000 pieces or so and it does get a work out.

I payed $22.00 for the last 50 pound bag of walnut at the local feed store.

Greg

Posts: 137 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote