New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cleaning Rods
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have been shooting for 30+ years and have always used coated rods with bore guides.
I like the Parker Hale best because of the coating. They became hard to get so I was forced to the Dewey rod. I do not like the coating on these rods.
I am thinking of trying the Bore Tech or Tipton can anyone help on my decision?
Thanx

"Today is the 1st Day, of the Rest of Your Life"

Posts: 160 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been using a bore tech for a couple of years and the handle/bearings are great and free turning to follow the rifling well.....I have HEARD that they shed their coating easier than the Dewey/Parker Hale? and I notice that Sinclair who was touting the boretech for a while has gone back to the Dewey with a new handle/bearing.......I use a hardened stainless steel rod for field use and use the coated rod at the bench-cleaning cradle.....and wipe it down after cleaning the guns......I like it and have had no problems but I "baby" it compared to some of my shooting buddies....hth..good luck and good shooting.

bigdaddytacp

Posts: 687 | Location: Jackson/Tenn/Madison | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I still have an old Parker Hale which has served me well. Currently I'm using a Tetra one piece rod and have not experienced any problems. Actually I have the Parker, a Kleen Bore and the Tetra. I tend to "baby" the rods in that I wipe the rod clean on the return pass (without the jag or brush attached, of course).

Posts: 161 | Location: Australia | Registered: 28 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've switched all my cleaning rods to Tipton Carbon. It's softer than steel and grit does not imbed. The handles work great. Only problem I've had is that the balance is hard to get used to.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got one Tipton Carbon Fiber rod, and will probably convert all my rods over tp Tipton's.

Posts: 273 | Location: Dakota | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
One more for the carbon fiber rods. I`ve two Tiptons now and really like them.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty Marlin
posted Hide Post
If you think carbon fiber rods are not abrasive, you've never seen what a carbon arrow does to an archery rest. They cut a very nice groove in a steel rest, and it doesn't take many arrows to do it either.

Stainless or poly-cote only for my barrel cleaning thank you.

Rusty's Action Works
Montross VA.
Action work for Cowboy Shooters &
Manufacturer of Stylized Rigby rifle sights. http://i61.photobucket.com/alb.../th_isofrontleft.jpg

Posts: 863 | Location: Northern Neck Va | Registered: 14 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One thing I found that made a big difference on the rod contacting the rifling was the type of jagged used.I have to almost identical jags but from different manufacturers.One has some rings on the base,when I use that there is very little contact between my stainless rod and the rifling.The other causes alot of friction and there are alot of marks left on the rod from the rifling.One seems to align the rod in the center down the bore so much that I can feel the difference when I am pushing the rod.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Zero Drift
posted Hide Post
Always use a bore guide to keep the rod from contacting the lands. Don’t try to clean without one...

For those of you who have switched to carbon fiber, do the carbon fiber rods flex more than a Dewey rod?

Posts: 10780 | Location: Test Tube | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mudstud:
I've got one Tipton Carbon Fiber rod, and will probably convert all my rods over tp Tipton's.

That's what I'm doing to.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Zero Drift, they seem to flex about the same to me. Rusty has a point, but I think the fact that the arrow is traveling over 200 FPS has a lot to do with carbon arrows chewing up rests.

I like the Tipton's a lot, I ain't throwing my others away, but I guess I'd give em away cause all I use anymore is the Tiptons.

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Neil Jones make teh best rod I've ever used. They all flex but his flex less than most.

Michael

The World Would Be A Happier Place If Everyone Owned At Least One Ruger #1.

Posts: 71 | Location: Behind the Orange Curtain, Kalifornia | Registered: 06 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Parker Hale cleaning rod which is available at Brownell's & Dewey's but I also have the OTIS Technology cleaning system which I use at home and take on trips.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Most popular cleaning rods seen at matches are Dewey's and definitely a bore guide cleaning from breech to muzzle only for the bolt guns.