New
Find
Notify
Tools

Easy Cylinder Cleaning
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Ok, here is the easiest way I have found.

Use a bronze rifle brush one or two sizes larger than the caliber. Chuck the rifle brush up in a cordless drill with a little solvent and give it a spin. It cleans up a cylinder in a jiffy, it takes no more than two passes per chamber. Over time it puts a nice polish on the inside of each chamber. Don't worry it only polishes the high spots and will not wallow out the chambers. I have been using this method for 10 years with no adverse effects.
a 375 rifle brush works great on a 357
a 45 rifle brush on a 41
a 475 rifle brush on a 44
You get the idea.
I hope this saves you a ton of time, it has for me. I use it on my Freedom, Rugers and Smiths, it really makes cleaning the revolvers easy and fast.
Joe

Posts: 208 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 25 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Has anyone tried this method? Does it work for you? Is it common knowledge? Or is it just a silly non-time saving way to clean a cylinder?
Somebody please say something. I need some feedback, good bad or otherwise.
Thanks
Joe

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Joe, When it comes to "Revolver" Chambers, I really like the Hoppe's Tornado Brushes.

I remove the Cylinder, put a bit of Bore Cleaner in each Chamber and give it a few short strokes with the Tornado Brush. Then a tight paper Patch on a Jag usually shows it is spotless "inside" the Chambers.
---

I have used the Spinning Brass Brush trick on some buddies Rifle Chambers where the (constantly rusting) Chromemoly steel actually "rusted". I spun JB Compound in them and it eliminated their Cases "hanging" in the Chambers. Didn't look at them with a Bore Scope.
---

Why do you think it, "only polishes the high spots"? Don't your Brush Bristles have any "spring" to them?

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think it just polishes the high spots since in any polishing I have ever seen it starts with the high spots first. Then as the percentage of surface area contact increases the polishing action begins to slow.

After years of cleaning with this method I have never had a single chamber wallow out, but they sure do shine.

Joe

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used the same method to clean the plastic residue out of forcing cone area and to polish choke tubes in a shotgun.

Posts: 291 | Location: Gettysburg, PA | Registered: 03 August 2005Reply With Quote