THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUN CLEANING FORUM

Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A Foaming Bore Cleaner "Trick" to help when using it.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Are you tired of the Foaming Bore Cleaners getting away from you on both ends of the firearm? homer

If you have a Trick better than this, let me know.

This will work on Foaming Bore Cleaners that have a 5/16" Hose (0.3125"). I'm sure they did not Taper the Hose End in order to hold the manufacturing cost down, but it sure is an aggravation to use the Flat Hose End on the Outer's Foaming Bore Cleaner.

You will need the following items to create the FBC Case:
1. A 223Rem Case.
2. A Small Hacksaw.
3. A Vise.
4. A Chamfer/Deburr tool.
5. A File.
6. A roll of Duct Tape.
7. A Single Hole Punch.

First you need to remove the Expander and Resize the 223Rem Case. Use any method you desire FL, P-FLR or NS. Then smoothly Chamfer/Deburr the Case Mouth, but not so much that it has a sharp edge.

Clamp the Case Head in a Vise and saw the Case off at the Pressure Ring. File flat, Chamfer and Deburr where you sawed the Case apart. Trash the Case Head. Now the 5/16" Hose on the Foaming Bore Cleaner will slide right into the end of the Case and snug up. You have just created the FBC Case.

(NOTE: If you have a 17Rem Case handy, try it and let me know how that Case works. It should work even better when used on the 22cal and 24cal bores.)

Make your normal Chamber Plug with a Wad of Paper Towels or whatever you use to Stop the Foam as it moves in that direction through the barrel. Remove the Bolt and place the Chamber Plug in the action so it will be ready to slide into place once the Foam Arrives.
-----

Example for 22cal and 24cal rifles:

Tear off a 2"-3" piece of Duct Tape. Hole Punch the Duct Tape, center the Hole over the Bore and wrap the rest around the barrel. On these two Calibers, the Duct Tape is to protect the Muzzle Crown from any wild movements with the FBC Case Mouth. Place the FBC Case Mouth over the Hole(against the Tape) and give the Foam an appropriate Shot. Quickly push-in the Chamber Plug when you see the Foam arrive at the other end and release the FBC Case from the Muzzle. Any excess Foam should dribble out the Muzzle onto a previously placed stack of newspaper below the barrel. Remove the FBC Case from the Hose and rinse it out. And remove the Duct Tape from the barrel. Follow the manufacturer's directions on the Foam as you normally do.
-----

For firearms between 24cal and 338cal, do the same as above, except you can now insert the FBC Case Mouth through the Hole in the Duct Tape and get a nice snug fit. Then repeat the above.
-----

For 338Cal and above you can omit the FBC Case in the process and just slide the Hose through the Hole in the Duct Tape - if it is the same size as the one my Hole Punch makes.

There you go. clap

Best of luck to you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm more of the K.I.S.S kinda guy, I just use different sizes of neoprene and vinyl tubing to achieve a seal in the chamber so the excess ends up in a small plastic pop bottle stuck over the muzzle. Smiler

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Wrongtarget, Looks like I "over Engineered" the problem.

Thanks for the very simple and excellent solution.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just spray mine through a Stoney Point Bore Guide after unscrewing the solvent port and hold my finger over the muzzle.

Posts: 1092 | Location: Florida | Registered: 14 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hot Core:
Hey Wrongtarget, Looks like I "over Engineered" the problem.

Thanks for the very simple and excellent solution.

You're welcome, always glad to share. Smiler

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Tradewinds, Have you tried that with different size Calibers? By that I mean with different size Bore Guides? Is it messy?

Hey Wrongtarget, After looking your Rig over, I took off to Advance Auto. Big disappointment. The only Tubing they had was in a Blister Pack. So I couldn't take it out to do any "critical" measuring. And none listed a 5/16" I.D.

On to Bumper-to-Bumper. Explained what I was doing and the guy reeled off a foot of each size Neoprene and took off. Had to track him down to get him to take any money. Nice folks there. With what I got at Bumper-to-Bumper I can duplicate your Rig.

On to Wal-Mart for some groceries. Went through Hardware just for grins, but no Tubing. Had a guy head me to the Aquarium Supplies. Found an 8' piece of Clear Tube and it fits perfectly "inside" the Tube on the Outer's Can(0.119" CORRECTION: 0.199"). Could not believe the luck.
-----

Still grinding around using a Case in the Chamber with the Aquarium Tubing running through the Case.

I can drill a Primer Pocket Hole just so the Tubing will slip through then RTV the Tube in the Case Mouth and cut it off.

That way I can slip the FBC2(or Rev. B for my old I.E. buddy PhillipBig Grin) into the Chamber, route the Aquarium Hose out the Ejection Port and slide it into the Hose on the Outer's Can. Then hold a cleaning rod against the Case Head to keep it from backing out under Pressure with my left Hand and give it a Shot with my Right Hand.

And your Bottle idea on the muzzle will catch the overflow.
-----

Cobrajet had mentioned using a Bottle to catch Bristle tossed Trash in that thread. Obviously the Bottle will work better than the Box I've been using for the Foaming Bore Cleaner.

Really do appreciate the Flick and thanks again.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I originally tried the drilled out case idea, it worked ok, but I never RTVd the tubing in which would have been better, just stuck it thru the case and squirted, eventually did away with the case and just used different size tubing. The foam really cleans the brass tho!! Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
How does this work on .17Rem and HMR cals etc.

I suppose you just purchase thinner plastic tubing to fit down the barrel?

Posts: 43 | Location: Melbourne | Registered: 13 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Holden, I had a TYPO in my last post. The older I get, the more I TYPO! Mad

Anyway, the Aquarium Hose has an O.D. of 0.199" which fits perfectly inside the Outer's Foaming Bore Cleaner Tube. Obviously that will not go through the Case Neck of a 17Rem.

But, there is nothing to keep you from either sawing a Case off as I did in the FBC Case(Rev. A), slip the Tubing in place, and fill in around the Tubing with RTV to hold it there, or just going with a similar set-up to what Wrongtarget is using.
-----

Hey Wrongtarget, I figured it would "clean the Case" right well. Big Grin That is why I'm planning to rinse the FBC2s off REALLY WELL!!! clap

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hot Core:
Hey Tradewinds, Have you tried that with different size Calibers? By that I mean with different size Bore Guides? Is it messy?

Yes, I have three different Stoney Point Bore Guides with the solvent port on the end. I clean 257-470 and they work fine. Just screw it off and put the can of wipeout over the end and spray it. If you put in too much it comes out the end of the barrel. I have to clean a gun today maybe I will take a picture.

Posts: 1092 | Location: Florida | Registered: 14 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Had good luck Drilling Primer Pockets out for the Hose to go through today.

An old MARINE buddy left some random pieces of Leather with me on his trip earlier this year. Just wrapped the Case with a piece of Leather, snugged the Vise up on the Case Head and drilled them at a relatively High Speed.

Trying to decide if I'm going to drill a hole in the "side" of some Cases to insert the RTV through. A couple of the Cases won't need to be done that way, but it might be the best way to handle some of the others - maybe. Roll Eyes clap

one of us
posted Hide Post
isn't it easier to go to an aquarium supplier and get different diameter tubes?
rob(mea maxima culpa!)z

"the older I get, the better I was"

Posts: 462 | Location: Coogee, Australia | Registered: 26 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Rob, Sounds like a fine idea. I just don't know of one relatively close to me.

The Wal-Mart where I found the 0.199" O.D. tube didn't have any other sizes.
-----

By the way, I've been wondering if the Cases will "Seal" the Chamber the way I'm hoping they will. I really don't want " ANY " of the Foaming Bore Cleaner in the Action if I can avoid it.

If not, I'm already considering another slight modification - FBC3(Rev. C Big Grin) - which would include the addition of an "O-Ring" around the Case Neck. Cool
-----

Going back to the normal Scrubbing routine is always a possibility. holycow beer

one of us
posted Hide Post
when using wipeout i do the following.
* squirt from action. i have a small bucket under the barrel to catch the overflow.
* once the stuff comes out the barrel end i wait until the flow reduces . the can with the aquarium hose is still inserted via the action at this point.
* I then withdraw the can and nozzle and plug the action end with a used earplug.(Those little orange ones that are bell shaped work best.I keep my left over one from shooting in a small ziplock bag for this purpose)
* hold a small patch over the barrel to block any more foam from escaping .this allows the foam to fully expand in the barrel.
when you are satisfied that the foam is set, leave it in a gun rest with the barrel slightly lower than the action.this will allow any excess to run out the pointy end and into the bucket.
I have a pair of tweezers handy to help remove the earplugs from the action.
no mess at all
rob

Posts: 462 | Location: Coogee, Australia | Registered: 26 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have only just got some foam bore cleaner, I think Wipeout is no longer imported, got some outers. Couldn't even figure how to get the nozzle tube off so just jammed it into the chamber and blipped the button.

Determined to get no mess, these were short blipps. Nothing seemed to be happening so I gave her a press. Got some out the muzzle then and congratulated myself on the first effort without all these tricks etc.

Sure, but the other side of my loverly rifle had this muck ozzing down the stock. Came out of the gas excape hole didn't it.

Anyway the stuff worked well overnight.

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Rob, Great Tip! We will probably need some "Fire Proof" ones. clap
-----

Hey JAL, I've been just shooting it into the Muzzle and using a Plug at the Rear, but I had a good bit of overflow with one of my rifles too. That is what got me thinking about this in the first place.

I need to try what Rob is doing.
-----

However, FBC2 is progressing right along. Got a very small Hole drilled into the "side" of each Case which I need to make larger today. That is where the RTV will be inserted.

And I found a new tube of RTV, so that is ready.
-----

When I was trying to get the "old" RTV tube out of the Calking Gun, it seemed to be fighting me. Confused

I wrestled with it and pulled on the Plunger Arm until I was Huffin and Puffin. Didn't make any sense.

Broke out the K-Bar and began cutting the "Tube" away. Once I got inside, the RTV had somehow gotten on the back side of the Plunger and made a Solid RTV Plug about 2.5" long. Never would have pulled the Plunger through it.

Soooo, for the Tip-of-the-Day: Don't be caught without your K-Bar close at hand. rotflmo

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you guys can't find the right size tubing for 30 cal, then someone send me a postal address and i will send them a length and they can sens some to whoever needs it.
i don't like blocking the muzzle before I squirt the stuff as it doesn't seem to expand as well as the obstructed bore builds up a little pressure. i found this out when I tried the earplugs first then squirted from the muzzle. The foam wouldn't go in at first, so I gave it another squirt which blew out the earplug and filled the action and magazine with foam. where possible squirt and clean in the same direction as bullet travel.this way little accidents happen away from actions and nice stocks.

one of us
posted Hide Post
hotcore,
i figured you were going to clean all the rifles. i was planning to mix the drinks and admire your work!!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Rob, I'd be glad to do that. Cool
-----

My normal luck with getting RTV into small spots is that I end up with it all over everything, including that one little spot where I wanted it. Knowing that, I had plenty of newspaper and paper towels in position.

Talk about a mess shocker, it did get all over the Cases, and the right amount finally did get inside. thumb They tend to roll around when you want them to remain in one spot.

The "excess" on the outside of the Cases peeled off easily on the Plated Cases. On the Non-Plated Cases it took a bit more effort, but it rubbed off the outside of them too.

Had to do a few minor Touch Ups last night where the Hose came out the Case Mouth. Squirting the RTV into the side of the Cases would occasionally leave a small non-RTVed spot between the Hose and Case Mouth. But just like Brylcream, a little dab`ll do ya!

Now all that is remaining is to Trim the Hose at the Case Mouth, go dirty some Bores and try out the FBC2s. Hopefully there will be no need for the Neoprene O-Rings (aka FBC3), but if they are needed, that will be done.
-----

Rob, All you have to do is "float" an ice cube in Rebel Yell for me. And if the "Ice" is in short supply down there, you can skip it all together. beer Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I tilt the rifle with bore low by 5 degrees.

I squirt the foam in the muzzle till it comes out the breech.

I put a rubber stopper in the muzzle.

http://www.widgetco.com/rubber-stoppers

http://www.mcmaster.com/

The next day when I pull out the stopper, the foam has all turned to a few drops of liquid, which runs out.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This all sounds like a lot of work. I took my bore guide (one piece of delrin) and drilled the end out a short depth with a 3/8 bit. Then I use a simple 1/4 inside x 3/8 outside piece of clear tubing on the can. Perfect seal, works great.

Eric

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use a bore guide too... for my bolt guns and ARs. The used case idea might seal better if it were not re-sized. I will probably rig one up for my model '94 where I can't use a boreguide.

Posts: 185 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I plug the chamber with a patch and wooden dowl..then use a 16 inch hose. I run it down the barrel from the crown and give the Wipe Out a quick shot, then start backing out the hose a bit at a time with short shots until the barrel is full and the hose is back out under the pressure. I sometimes use a plastic bottle with a hole in the bottom and a the hose through it to catch the overflow, or I just lay a rag over the bore.

I know, I under engineered mine.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A neighbor of mine works at a nursing home and recently gave me a bag of rubber tubing. Seems that some of the oxygen always comes with new tubing but it doesnt need replacing so it accumulates. Might be a free source if you are trying to loacte some. Oooppss make that plastic tubing.

Posts: 1289 | Location: San Angelo,Tx | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I hope some elderly person wasn't attached to the other end.
robz

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is this easier than Kroil or the GM Top End Engine cleaner? The GM stuff is awesome for cleaning out 2-stroke outboards, and is about 10% of the cost of the stuff you guys are using. Carbon don't know from diddly what caused it...

Rich
DRSS
Knowledge not shared is knowledge lost...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I think they're on about removing copper.

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of brianbo
posted Hide Post
I prefer to keep it simple.
  • I squeeze one of those yellow or red foam earplugs and insert it into a fired case leaving 3/8" or so sticking out.
  • I roll the foam end to squeeze it smaller than bore dia just before I chamber the case and close the bolt.
  • I wait a few seconds to let the foam plug expand
  • Then I squirt in the foaming bore cleaner in the muzzle end.

I've never had it leak into the chamber yet.

Regards,
    Brian

Meet "Beauty" - 66 cal., 417 grn patched roundball over 170 grns FFg = ~1950 fps of pure fun!

"Scotch Whisky is made from barley and the morning dew on angel's nipples." - Warren Ellis

NRA Life Member

•  
    Posts: 479 | Location: Western Washington State | Registered: 10 March 2005Reply With Quote
    one of us
    posted Hide Post
    By the way I use surgical tubing on my Wipe Out can..You can get that at the fishing supplies in any hardware or sportign goods store..I changed my length to 8 inches as opposed to 16 an it works a little better...

Ray Atkinson
    Atkinson Hunting Adventures
    10 Ward Lane,
    Filer, Idaho, 83328
    208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote