New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thought I'd share a cleaning tip
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I was thumbing through my catalogs the other day and came across a device for keeping the spray from your bore brush making a mess when it exits the muzzle. So I took an empty bottled water bottle and a small strip of foam 'bout an inch wide and made a gasket and placed this around the muzzle. Now when I clean all of the trash and spray ends up in the bottle and not on my loading/cleaning bench. Didn't cost a dime and works great. This will work for standard type barrels as well as heavy bull barrels. If you wrap the foam tightly it will work on the bull barrels and if you wrap it loosely it will work on the lighter barrels. When your finished, just stuff the foam in the end of the bottle and store it on your bench. Just a tip I wanted to share.

Posts: 314 | Location: SW Missouri | Registered: 08 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good tip. Do you have any problem with the Pneumatic Pressure created by a Tight Patch on a Jag pushing it around?

I use a small empty Cardboard Box which does right well, but it is not a snug fit.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So far no problems at all. One thing I'd recommend is sliding the foam back an inch or so from the end of the barrel so that way the foam doesn't soak up too much of the solvent. That way the end of the barrel is not "soaking" in the solvent. Wouldn't want to damage the blueing. Its amazing how much of a mist is created when your brush exits the muzzle. The clear bottle really highlights the amount.

Posts: 314 | Location: SW Missouri | Registered: 08 August 2007Reply With Quote