Find
Notify
Tools

Brake Cleaner???
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted
Brake Cleaner...I hear so much of its use!

Question:
Is aeresol type brake parts cleaner a good product for cleaning out an action or just general small parts cleaning of fire-arms?

Choices:
NO! Please say why below.
Yes! I will list my favorite brand below.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36531 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I am concerned with the solvents damaging the finsh on wood, plastic or metal.

Posts: 5698 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't use it. It will strip the finish right off a wooden stock. I used it on an AR, but that's an entirely different animal...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yup. I use it. I use it after I have de-coppered (if that's a word) a bore and then I give the bore a pass with a Kroil soaked patch, followed by a couple of dry ones. I also use it on chamber mops.
I never use it around a rifle when the rifle is in the stock. And I put baggies over my scope lenses and secure them with rubber bands. Actually, I seldom spray the stuff directly at the rifle but more often I will spray a patch or a wiping cloth with it and use that.
Properly used, its good stuff.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MyNameIsEarl
posted Hide Post
I do not use on rifles. I love it on pistols when I do not want to disassemble the entire thing. It works great and I have never had it take the finish off any gun I have used it on.

I usually go to the parts store and get the cheapest non-chlorine one they have. A can will do about 10 pistol cleanings. I still use gun solvent on the barrel and other fouled parts.

Posts: 749 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is brake cleaner not for cleaning brakes?

Posts: 885 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 08 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use it for degreasing new dies and cleaning the lubricant from them after a reloading sessions.

"Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

Posts: 83 | Location: Wasilla, AK | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've heard that brake parts cleaner is essentially the same stuff as Birchwood Casey's Gun Scrubber. It smells the same. It apparently works the same on pistol parts and bore brushes. You definitely want to clean your bore brushes when finished with them and this stuff does the job quite well. I have not found it to be especially good for removing carbon when it is layered in a bore or for layered copper either.

If the enemy is in range, so are you. - Infantry manual

Posts: 494 | Location: The drizzle capitol of the USA | Registered: 11 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have been using it for years. Any brand will do. Usually purchase the cheapest I can find at WalMart.

I havent noticed any harm to wood. However, I do try to limit getting it on the wood.

Posts: 44 | Location: Key Biscayne, Fl | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I only use brake cleaner to clean my bore brush. Use the Burchwood Casey SAFE Gun Scrubber on the action.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lal:
Is brake cleaner not for cleaning brakes?

What do you think this is?
What would YOU use to clean it?
Wink

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3099 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GunCat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buckeyeshooter:
I am concerned with the solvents damaging the finsh on wood, plastic or metal.

Also got to be careful with parts that have paint...white outline on rear sights, red line around some safeties, etc. It will soften or remove many of these areas.

I only use the stuff on bare metal. It will remove any trace of oil so be sure to adequately lube the parts after they are cleaned.

Steve Rose
----------
Rose Action Sports, LLC
www.roseactionsports.com

Posts: 189 | Location: Western Kentucky | Registered: 02 November 2007Reply With Quote