THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUN CLEANING FORUM

Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bore Guides, which one do you use and why?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Friends-

What is your favorite brand and type of bore guide and why?

I have a Stoney Point that is hard to beat. In addition, I have some that are caliber specific made from Delrin, I believe, that have a collar that fits over the cleaning rod and snaps into the back of the bore guide for a really good fit.

What do you use and why?

May the wind be in your face and the sun at your back.

P. Mark Stark

Posts: 1323 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If I were buying a new guide now, I'd get a Lucas, the 6mmBR link says why...

http://www.6mmbr.citymaker.com/catalog/item/1433308/954882.htm

Sinclair would be second on my list...

http://www.sinclairintl.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?catego...item=RG2X&type=store

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
wrongtarget-

Thanks, I have several of the Lucas boreguides and they are top notch. I purchased them from a gunsmith so I did not know their origin.

I think I will order another and some additional inserts; that way, I don't have to switch inserts between rods when I clean.

I also need some of those rubber O-rings, those things don't stand up well to bore cleaners.

May the wind be in your face and the sun at your back.

P. Mark Stark

Posts: 1323 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use a lot of the Delrin ones from Sinclair. I recently bought a few of their 'universal' guides, they are nice, and with the right collar they fit nice and snug.

You are right about the O rings.

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm just glad to know that people are using "A BORE GUIDE"!! Stoney Point, MTM Plastic ones, Delrin, homemade using a peice of brass............just use a bore guide! Thanks! GHD

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Lucas is top of the line, and well worth its cost.

One step down the ladder (both in price and functionality) are the Sinclair Delrin guides. These are also worth recommending.

"Generic" guides is for when you exhausted all other options.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think the patch guide from Bore Tech is the most practical to use. Comes in 3 sizes, .17-.25 Cal; .25cal to .30; then up to .416.

They have a big solvent port to protect your stock.

Lucas is one of the best but does not have as good a solvent port. However it is the only one that is custom made to your bore size, bolt body size & cleaning rod diameter. No wonder the benchresters use these. But not so convenient to use because of the lack of the patch holder & because of the plug in the rear of the bore guide. They are beautifully machined & Mike is a great guy to deal with.

Can't go wrong with either.

Regards
JohnT

Posts: 370 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Has anyone used the Dewey bore guide with the O-rings.

Posts: 2 | Location: Alberta, Canada. | Registered: 04 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
pacer,HAVE NO FEAR I AM HERE! For medium bores use Sinclair and for the 458WM use a black powder bore guide.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
shootaway thanks but i really would like to know if someone has used the J Dewey guide just looking at whats out there.

Thanks Alan

Posts: 2 | Location: Alberta, Canada. | Registered: 04 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
pacer97,if you tried the Sinclair you wouldn't be asking this question.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use a fired case from the rifle, drill out the primer to take a 8" section of aluminum arrow shaft run into the case to the neck or wherever it stops and glass that shaft at the primer area that I drilled out. Then hit the shaft someplace with your grinder to make a hole to put oil or cleaner on the patch..I run the patch in on the rod to the hole and put oil on it and push the patch through the case into the bore..

I have made one for each of my rifles..

Not very over engineered but works perfectly and protects the throat from rod damage as the case is fireformed to that rifle.

cost: about 25 cents per rifle.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
I only use Lucas.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
posted Hide Post
I got most of mine from MidwayUSA when they were still blue color delrin by Frankfort Arsenal. I don't see them listed as such anymore. There are lots of 'possum hollow' listed although in the gun chart they're listed as EJS. All I know is they were inexpensive and do their job. Works for me.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In over thirty-five years of shooting since age 15 I have never used one. Ever. Only a plug that goes into the rear receiver ring and which the rod passes through.

But we are very primitive here in UK. For five years plus I only ever used a cord pullthrough to clean! That is all we were issued with!

Posts: 6814 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
I have a Gunslick bore guide and I really like it

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
As far as "O" rings go try switching to sillicone instead of beutille or however you spell the word for black ruber look in McMaster Carr

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
I use Stoney Points (red + gold fit all my needs). However, I never found a bore guide to fit my Blaser R93 rifles.

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
http://benchrest.com/barrelsaver/

Try this. The very best. Costly, but the best. It's crucial that the rod be tightly supported at the rear of the action. T.K. Nolan and Mike Lucas make certain with their designs.

Dennis

Posts: 13 | Location: SW of Houston,Texas | Registered: 30 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use one of those aluminum and nicely anodized red ones from JP Enterprises in my ARs (about $35) and a Delrin one from Sinclair in my bolt gun. I used to not use a bore guide-- didn't know they existed. Since beginning to use them, I feel much better about the throat portion of my barrels.

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lucas. I have one for each caliber of rifle.

Fitch

Posts: 153 | Location: Carlisle, PA | Registered: 04 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Latham
posted Hide Post
Lucas, Stoney point!, several set up ready. Wink

Posts: 683 | Location: Chester UK, Home city of the Green collars. | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Boss Hoss
posted Hide Post
Lucas for me -- have over a dozen so far plus he is a great guy to deal with as most of mine are custom ones and he gets them right everytime!!

Posts: 1004 | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a bore guide with the 19 Badger, because it came with one.

My other rifles, I am just careful.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Lucas. Regarding the o-rings, he started using better ones some time back. I have him send extras though for new guides, and I think he'll gladly replace the originals.

Side note - Sinclair sells some small solvent proof squeeze bottles that work well if you are buying the larger jugs of solvent.

Posts: 14 | Location: NW Montana | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What do you use and why?[/QUOTE]

Would anyone mind posting a picture of a bore guide being used on the muzzle end of a semi-auto rifle. I feel dumb, but I've never seen one used.
Also, do you use a bore guide on pistols?

Posts: 62 | Location: Temple Terrace, Florida, USA | Registered: 23 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would like to put my vote to Possum Hollow/ EJS they make guides for any firearm in any chambering with or with out rear bushings, with or without solvent port and nobody can beat the prices

Posts: 67 | Location: Possum Hollow, IN | Registered: 09 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SempreElk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pacer97:
Has anyone used the Dewey bore guide with the O-rings.

I have one and yes it is an excellent bore guide and I prefer it to the other Stoney Point bore guides i own but I like the Lucas bore guide more. All in All if the Lucas were not available I would be very happy with the Dewey bore guide.

Posts: 1779 | Location: Southeast | Registered: 31 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Boss Hoss
posted Hide Post
Lucas for all of the reasons stated above. I own 14 of them..

Posts: 1004 | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've used Dewey,Stoney but got a Lucas with my last Custom and like it so much I got 3 more for other rifles.. I could have used Dewey the rest of my life but the Lucas supports the rod much better..
AK

Posts: 16798 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 21 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anyone use a ProShot bore guide?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sinclair; they seal the chamber and they sell them in all the calibers
I shoot.

If the enemy is in range, so are you. - Infantry manual

Posts: 494 | Location: The drizzle capitol of the USA | Registered: 11 January 2008Reply With Quote