Find
Notify
Tools

Caliber specific rifle bore brush for 9.3
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Thomas "Ty" Beaham
posted
I have searched but been unable to locate a bore brush in a rifle configuration for my 9.3 x 62

8/32 thread would be a plus.

Any suggestions as to where I might buy one would be appreciated.

Thanks for your help.

Ty

Posts: 2927 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 07 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of The Dane
posted Hide Post
The 9,3 is .366" so go ahead and use a .375".

Posts: 1102 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 15 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the suggestion Dane.

I tried starting the .375 brush, but it was a tight squeeze.

I think I'm stuck using a 9.3 brush in a pistol configuration for the time being...

Ty

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
In my 9.3x62 I sort of swing both ways...up & down. If I really want to brush "hard" on something in the bore, I use a .375" bronze brush (NEVER a stainless steel one). After one pass down the bore, it is a less than .375" diameter brush anyway. But you don't want to be reversing the slant of the bristles each time you pull it back through, so to prevent that, I don't pull it back through. I push it through, remove the brush, take out the rod, re-attach the brush, and repeat.

Most of the time I don't really want to scour the bore with bristles anyway. If the crud is that bad, I'll use some of the modern cleaners, such as Wipe-Out.

For a milder but still very effective scrub, I use a .35 brush with a thin patch wrapped around it and soaked in whatever is appropriate for the kind of crud I'm attacking. For carbon I soak with carburetor or brake cleaner, etc.

I am NOT saying my way is the right way, just saying what I do & why.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you Sir for your suggestions and advice.

I appreciate it.

Ty

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Basically I do not use brushes much since i started using Wipeout.

I have used 375 & 35 cal. 375 bronze bristles will break up after some use. 35 cal is not big enough.

I also use the nylon brush in 375 & that works well.

Also 35 nylon with a patch works great particularly with Wipeout.

JMTBW

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11006 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
.35 Parker Hale bronze brushes feel much harder and tighter than their competition. They do a good work on my 9,3 rifles, prior to patching with solvent.

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Arminius
posted Hide Post
My Problem with 9,3 mm caliber cleaning is not brushes ( which aren´t necessary at all at typical 9,3 mm shooting amounts ) but a REAL 9,3 mm brass JAG!

For example, I got LOTS of crud out MUCH easier, when turning from ".270/7mm" type Jags to specifically "7 mm" jags. Both in my old Ferlacher and my DWM 1909!

Hermann

formerly, before software update, known as "aHunter", lost 1000 posts in a minute

Posts: 337 | Location: Middle Europe | Registered: 10 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
Using a little larger patch on a .35 jag should solve your problem.

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
If the jag is your problem, spend a little money Wink...use 2 patches at once on your jag. I do that all the time with both .338 and .35 jags; works great for me.

Just be aware the patches come in different thicknesses, so you may need two thin patches, two thick patches, or one of each.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Arminius
posted Hide Post
I found out, that Pro Shot Jags are MUCH better than Tipton´s! ( bought because the set is handy ).

And the Pro Shot come in .25 AND 6,5 mm, and .270 AND 7 mm!

And there IS a difference!

Hermann

formerly, before software update, known as "aHunter", lost 1000 posts in a minute

Posts: 337 | Location: Middle Europe | Registered: 10 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Use a 375 Nylon brush..I never use brass or steel brushes other than the small bronze brush on a bore snake...Most of my gun cleaning is with the bore snake, one pass equals 180 patches, and a bore need not and should not be squeaky clean, for one thing its condusive to rust and another is some wash keeps those minute pits filled to the surface..

Inaccuracy is not cause so much by copper in the bore persey but by the effect that too much copper is destructive to the bullet, as it passes out the bore and the pores pull copper off the bullet or so I am told by bullet makers...Taking the edge of the copper in the bore and smoothing it out illiminates that I guess. Over cleaning exposes these rough spots in the barrel and effects the bullets accuracy, but I would guess the effect may be over played..Most rifle either shoot or the don't, end of story.

Pretty tech stuff. right or wrong, but the bottom line is if your rifle shoots great groups leave it alone until quits shooting great groups then clean it "gently"..Trust me I know guys that litterly clean on their guns, because they are bored I guess, they may spend every evening cleaning them. I also have a bunch of guide and cowboy friends who keep the family rifle in a saddle scabbard in the feed room of the barn, never clean it and some of those gun shoot exceptionally well, Roll Eyes Confused

Gunny rule no. 1, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Arminius
posted Hide Post
Some time since my last posting, some shooting and hunting and gun cleaning.

Shot 3 pigs yesterday at a driven hunt :-)

Two patches, one smaller, and a larger one above ( 1 3/4 over 1 1/8" ) on a .35 jag works GREAT for the 9.3!

Tight fit, but great cleaning or deoiling action!

I use, and seldom at that, mostly for handguns ) only plastic / bristle brushes.

Brass brushes are ONLY for Lead in Barrels and Chambers, and AR´s, that have been shot much.

Only cotton flannel ( oiled for the most part ) and brass jags for my fine hunting rifles.

Hermann