Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone make their own copper cleaner?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Like sweets,

Maybe some store bought ammonia and some kind of liquid soap???

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
There are a lot of fancy cleaners out there at fancy prices, I know I've got a shelf full of them.

However for me the best bore cleaning regime in effectiveness and price is this.

I buy 10% household ammonia and scrub the barrel with it with a nylon bristle brush, leave it for up to ten minutes and then patch dry. Next I do the same with Ed's Red, scrub and patch. Repeat steps, turn and turn about until clean.

I have to admit that when I feel lazy I do use Wipe Out as its just squirt and patch when ever.

Not cheap but it does what it says on the tin and you don't need to watch it or work it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i have a friend that makes his own super stuff. i think its about 40% ammonia. if you want i can get you his receipe

Posts: 13442 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:
i have a friend that makes his own super stuff. i think its about 40% ammonia. if you want i can get you his receipe

Yep, get the receipe, curious what to mix with ammonia. "They" say sweets is ammonia and liquid soap

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
GSP7,

I've used Joy dish soap and 10% ammonia, ~50/50, and it works phenomenally well. I would mix in a bottle cap, saturate a patch and wrap around a nylon brush, wipe the (heavy) copper out in about ten seconds, flush with spray carb cleaner then spray oil. My idea was to flush the carb cleaner out with the spray oil so the metal never became dry. I thought this would prevent flash rusting.

This was done to a CZ .375 for the first 500 rounds and then the rifle quit copper fouling. An additional 1,500 rounds have been put through the rifle and only in the last 250 or so of hard, oversize cast bullets has the blueing finally been worn from the bore. IOW I can't tell that Joy/ammonia hurt the bore at all. I don't have a bore scope.

Here is something about Sweet's, post #28

http://www.benchrest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=416&page=2&highlight=hoppes

I don't know who Monsieur Octo is quoting but "they" seem to know what "they" are talking about. Anyway, it sounds good and since I have half a bottle of Sweet's, I think I'll use that in the new rifle I'm waiting for. Since it is so popular I assume it must not be harmful when used as directed, although it is slightly more time consuming and tedious that J/a. Mostly I don't like the idea of zipping a cleaning rod through the bore to whisk the Sweet's. I will be trying a slow stop-and-go method with a nylon brush in the new rifle to hopefully stir the Sweet's up without having to run the rod in and out repeatedly.

P.S. The Sweet's bottle says: DO NOT SHAKE

I can tell you from experience that, indeed, you do not want to shake Sweet's.

FFFIIIIIIIZZZZZZZZZZ and ammonia spews everywhere; just like a hot Coke.

Posts: 157 | Location: South Carolina, USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
here's some of it - 29% ammonia (get from blue print supply ) mix with hydrogen peroxide and then some copper wire, which sits in in a few days and then gets pulled out. he has the actual receipe at home & is going to lookit up. came out a precision shooting mag a couple years ago. anyway you swab the bbl with hoppes then dry then a swab with the solution and let set a short time then dry then a wet swab with the peroxide and then dry and wet with hoppes

Posts: 13442 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm going to make some up. Sounds good.

Ive been going through alot of Hoppes. I started useing marvel mystry oil to flush out sweets residue. MMO smells good too, and im sure has some carbon cleaner in it too. Seems to work good on carbon fouling along with hoppes

Nothing better than home made bore cleaners clap

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:
here's some of it - 29% ammonia (get from blue print supply ) mix with hydrogen peroxide and then some copper wire, which sits in in a few days and then gets pulled out. he has the actual receipe at home & is going to lookit up. came out a precision shooting mag a couple years ago. anyway you swab the bbl with hoppes then dry then a swab with the solution and let set a short time then dry then a wet swab with the peroxide and then dry and wet with hoppes

I've heard of a home made cleaner similar to this called "Blue Goo". The blue comes from, I think a penney (?) that's added to the mixture giving it the blue color. The mix you mentioned has a bit of copper wire added. Why is copper added to a mixture that is supposed to remove copper?

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Most pennies that you find now are zinc with just a copper wash. It would have to be an old penny!

Posts: 185 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
here the formula
3/4 qt of 28% ammonia, 2-4 tablespoons of 2$ hydrogen peroxide, 10" of #14 copper wire, 1qt bottle
cap bottle lightly gas may need to escape
agitate moderately with cap loose
after an hour or two it will be a deep blue and ready to use
after a week, remove the copper from the solution
the solution is poisonous so don't spill it in your drink

USE
clean gun and dry
soak patch with the blue goop and make several passes
re wet with BG and add a couple of drops of peroxide
make 3 or 4 more passes
cleans out the copper, but does nothing to powder fouling

one of us
posted Hide Post
Why put the copper wire in the solution???

Where can I get ammonia? Local walmart didnt have any. What about rite aid?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
don't know why the copper, but thats the receipe. friend said the only place he could find the ammonia was a blue print outfit. evidently something like a specialized office supply house that would deal in things for architects/engineers that make blueprints

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i just found out why the copper wire - it fors an iron which then in the chemical solutions combines with the copp ions in the barrel to disolve the barrel copper and hold it in solution. evitently you can also use regular ammonia, it just takes longer to react.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Plug the chamber (Sinclair sells plugs), fill the barrel with household ammonia, and let it stand for 4 hours. Rinse and repeat as needed.

Posts: 388 | Location: NW Oregon | Registered: 13 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dont think I want to leave ammonia in my barrel for 4hrs. Maybe 10 minutes. Id think it would eat the barrel.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GSP7:
Dont think I want to leave ammonia in my barrel for 4hrs. Maybe 10 minutes. Id think it would eat the barrel.

FWIW, I suberged a barrel stub in a 10% ammoina
solution and left it there for 72 hrs. It looks the same after it came out as it went in. Checked it with a buddy's borescope.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
FWIW?......... yep FWIW! popcorn