New
Find
Notify
Tools

Funny ? on scope coatings
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
This may sound strange, but I am in the process of building a homebrew IR trailcam and need a cleaner that will take the IR coatings off of the camera lens. I want nothing but pure glass. I got to thinking there were some bore cleaners that are dangerous for the coatings on scope lenses so this might be just what I need...

So what cleaners are guaranteed to take the coatings right off your scope lenses? Eeker That would be a good place for me to start.

Posts: 417 | Location: TX panhandle | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CDH
posted Hide Post
Anything that will remove glass optical coatings will probably also etch glass, and eat metal, and flesh, and...

Just about the only way I can think of would be to polish it off mechanically.

Solvents that are called 'not scope safe' are probably concerned with attacking the o-ring seals, compromising watertight integrity, and penetrating past such seals oiling and fogging internal lenses, lifting the metal coatings, or corroding the aluminum. I doubt they are attacking the glass or the optical coatings.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote