THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUN CLEANING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gun Cleaning Forum    Is it OK for a rimfire barrel to be left uncleaned after use ?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is it OK for a rimfire barrel to be left uncleaned after use ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a 22lr which rarely gets cleaned and shoots all the better for it. When I have cleaned it there have been no signs of corrosion or carbon fouling.

Now, I clean my 17hmr after every session but then it does take quite a few shots to re-stabilise, depending on how deeply the barrel is cleaned. So, my question is: as both are rimfires and my 17hmr does not collect copper fouling, can I treat the 17hmr as a 22lr and leave it uncleaned or should I continue with my cleaning routine after every session ?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Clean that 17. The .22Rf bullets have a coating that protects the bore. I'd just wet the 17 down with Hoppies No.9 between shoots.
For storage you'll need something better against rust.

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One of my 22lr (a BRNO Model 5 made in '58) was used for decades by a deceased previous owner for benchrest so I don't know what cleaning regimen he had. The bore is still very good and I use it at the range at least once a month. I clean the barrel by pushing a brush dipped in Ed's Red through followed by a patch to mop it out before I put it away. WHY? The powder residue is CARBON and is very abrasive after it cools. I'll never wear the barrel out but it's no great effort to clean.

Posts: 336 | Location: Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: 09 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If it continues to shoot well without cleaning, there is your answer. In a humid environment, my concern would be rust prevention.

Posts: 662 | Location: NW Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sagebrush Burns:
If it continues to shoot well without cleaning, there is your answer. In a humid environment, my concern would be rust prevention.

+1 thumb 100%

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If rust is the only concern why is the 22lr immune ?

one of us
posted Hide Post
It depends on your accuracy requirements. I used to think not cleaning was the way to go as the bullet lubricant coated the inside of the barrel with wax or grease but after much testing I think cleaning every 100 rounds or so will reduce flyers. I have been dip lubing bullets in mineral oil and shooting ten or so to soften fouling and then running a patch thru the barrel to wipe it out lately and this works very well. I don't like using brushes on my barrels as they might harm the rather soft steel used in 22 rimfire barrels. This lube on factory bullets catches powder fouling and the buildup will start causing flyers. I hate flyers.

Leftists are intellectually vacant, but there is no greater pleasure than tormenting the irrational.

Posts: 2899 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pisces:
In conclusion, it is the wax coating on 22lr ammo' that provides a protective layer within the barrel which inhibits rust formation. However, uncoated 17HMR ammo' cannot provide similar protection so 17HMRs need regular cleaning. Have I got that right ?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds right to me. I've never heard of a .22RF barrel rusting (inside). I don't know how much to trust the copper coated ammo though.

Sure if the 17 continues to shoot well, rust is your only worry. And it can happen fast, and how you going to know? If it doesn't rust up you can then experiment with minimal cleaning and how it affects your first shots.

The MAIN thing is to patch out the goop before you shoot.

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Red C.
posted Hide Post
I use SK match ammo in my Savage. It shoots extremely well. Some match shooters said they never touch their barrels with a brush and only run a patch through the bore when accuracy begins to fall off. Of course this is with match ammo that is lubricated. I would assume that copper clad ammo will leave copper fouling after awhile and will have to be cleaned.

Red C.
Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.

Posts: 909 | Location: SE Oklahoma | Registered: 18 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The only time I detected copper, and it was only a very slight green/blue discoloration, was when I cleaned the 17HMR barrel for the first time after about 50 rounds. Since then I have never detected copper.

But, carbon builds up in the first inch or so of the rifling. It is this carbon ring that needs to be removed periodically to prevent bullet swaging and corrosion under the carbon layer.

posted Hide Post
I think it depends on how much you shoot. I clean mine 2 times a year and it shoots great. I should clean it more but I have NO rust and little fowling. Run a patch of Hoppies or w-d40 and I think you are o-k.

one of us
Picture of RaySendero
posted Hide Post
My 10/22 squirrel rifle also does double-duty as my silhouette rifle. It has a custom barrel with a match chamber. I only shoot lead - No copper plated bullets.

I never clean the barrel, but do clean the rest for the gun often. It likes a dirty barrel! Think the soot forms a forcing cone ahead of the riflings that helps accuracy. I'll clean the chamber with a nylon brush, but never used any solvents.

________
Ray

Posts: 1786 | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
my father recently gave me a remington model 12 that was not cleaned since the 60;s with thosands of regular ammo and bird shot its still a tack driver.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes um, are some of us forgetting the original
question? As far as I know the 17 cal Rimfires
don't have a lubricated bullet, therefore offer no protection to a bore.

I wouldn't be worried with a S.S. barrel though.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a couple of old family 22s that have never been cleaned as far as I know and they both shoot very well indeed..I clean my Rem M-12 and Win. M-63 about every couple of years and they both shoot 1 inch at 50 yards consistantly so I am going to say no you don't have to clean them and if you must then just use a Bore Snake and you won't damage your barrel..More 22s are ruined with a cleaning rod than by shooting.

I have a 5 mm Rem. and its never been cleaned and its pretty rough..I have kept it for one reason alone, it shoots 1/2 inch groups at 100 yards every time..Money can't buy it I don't think unless someone went nuts on me! I have killed a couple of deer, a few turkey, lots of javalina hogs, coyotes and varmints with it using mostly head shots. I love to hunt Rockchucks with it out my Kitchen window..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JAL:
Yes um, are some of us forgetting the original
question? As far as I know the 17 cal Rimfires
don't have a lubricated bullet, therefore offer no protection to a bore.

I wouldn't be worried with a S.S. barrel though.

I asked Anschutz the same question re' 17HMR barrel cleaning and this was the reply:

If the rifle doesn´t get wet than it´s not necessary to clean it every day, one week is no problem. But when it´s wet take it out of the stock. Also, you don´t need to clean it with a brass brush every time. If you are on tour it´s enough to use cleaning wicks.The first shot will be not more than maximum 2 cm away when the rifle is totaly clean and often it´s on the same place.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well sure. But I've read of some strange cleaning habits from Anschutz. Bear in mind they are Europeans.

So I thought we all new that it doesn't have to rain to have high humidity. And this can be worsened by the storage method and temp change.

And what's takeing it out of the stock got to do with the inside of the barrel?

Also, at what range are they talking about re 2 cm. ? 25yards, 150 yards? What if some joker leaves a smear of oil/solvent in?

Will they give you a new U.S. brand moly barrel if the owner puts it away for the week, forgets about it for a month or two and rusts it up?

Bloody forigners!!

One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
quote:
And what's takeing it out of the stock got to do with the inside of the barrel?
I am guessing they mean to clean and dry the bore and action when it gets wet.
quote:
Also, at what range are they talking about re 2 cm. ? 25yards, 150 yards?
Being that they are Bloody forigners, it is probably 50 meters, not yards…
quote:
Will they give you a new U.S. brand moly barrel if the owner puts it away for the week, forgets about it for a month or two and rusts it up?
I would bet you are on your own there…

I have an Anschutz model 1416 Sporter, a 513T Remington and a Nylon 66 that were given to me by years ago by my step-Dad. He told me he cleaned them as needed.

He shot a tremendous amount of ground squirrels in and around Bakersfield, CA in the 50’s and 60’s. He said he used to easily shoot over 500 rounds a weekend out of the old Nylon 66 when the squirrels were out and his 22’s never really showed much sign of needing to be cleaned except externally.
For the most part, I have found the same with all of my 22’s.

As for Boresnakes, I use them also. Best invention since Hoppes #9…

Ooow that smell!

JUST A TYPICAL WHITE GUY BITTERLY CLINGING TO GUNS AND RELIGION

Definition of HOPLOPHOBIA

"I'm the guy that originally wrote the 'assault weapons' ban." --- Former Vice President Joe Biden

Posts: 1700 | Location: Lurking somewhere around SpringTucky Oregon | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was at my Dad's a few weeks ago and my youngest son took out the old Rem .22 that he won in a contest at a long gone soda fountain where my mother was working in 1934. I used to go plinking and rabbit hunting with the gun when I was a youngster in the '60's. When he came back in, I noticed that the gun was a bit "dry" and I asked him if he ever cleaned it, I know I never did. He said no, he could never remember cleaning it over the last 74 years and probably 10,000 rounds. It has never jammed and still drives tacks. I'm afraid to touch it and clean it. Might mess it up.

Posts: 318 | Location: No. California | Registered: 19 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ok, we can all agree that a .22RF has lubbed bullets which will protect the bore.

The original post mentioned a .17 RF, now does anyone know of a .17 cal RF with bullet lube?

If not, why not treat it as a CF as far as barrel care goes?? Hell, I'm out of here. fishing

One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
quote:
The original post mentioned a .17 RF, now does anyone know of a .17 cal RF with bullet lube?

If not, why not treat it as a CF as far as barrel care goes?? Hell, I'm out of here. fishing
The Savage and Marlin 17HMR manuals state for the life of the rifle, the bore may never have to be cleaned.

Sure puts a kibosh to the makers of 17 caliber cleaning rods, brushes, etc.

Would I not clean one, probably if the accuracy degraded. Before that, dunno?

Posts: 1700 | Location: Lurking somewhere around SpringTucky Oregon | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info'. As you say, after just checking the Marlin site, their online Owner's Manual gives this recommendation for the cleaning of their 17HMR rifle barrels: With normal use it is not necessary to clean the bore of your rifle.
Surely, if there was a possibility of bore damage due to the lack of cleaning then it would be highly unlikely that the manufacturer would make this recommendation.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Is this advice because they are using stainless barrels, or are they stating that black barrels won't rust?

One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
.... Hoppes #9…

Ooow that smell!
Oooh yeah!
All I ever did in a hot to cold and very humid climate was run a brissle brush dipped in Hoppes down the bore after each shoot. Then before shooting, repeat the hoppes followed by wiping out with a dry patch or two. The 22lr got as run through with a fluffy brush to remove powder flakes. Never had any rust in the bore.

Regards
303Guy

Posts: 2518 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote