New
Find
Notify
Tools

A cleaning tip for you!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
You might find it helpfull, when using JB,to wipe the rod with a cloth or paper, lightly sprayed with WD-40.I find this reduces the friction of the rod on the bore,making cleaning quicker,easier and less harmfull.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anything to make the least-enjoyable part of shootin' less of a millstone around our necks...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Whenever I clean with a paste type cleaner I do wipe the rod....just to clean it. As far as oiling it to reduce the friction.....well..the rod should hardly ever come in contact with the bore....best case not at all but sometimes a bit unavoidable.

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
True. If you're using a proper bore guide and a brush or a jag and patch, the rod shouldn't (notice the word shouldn't) touch.

When I use JB, I run the bare rod thru the guide and bore and then put the patch and JB on and my first pass is to pull it thru the bore. In this way, the excess is squeezed off at the muzzle for easy clean up rather than inside at the leade.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kraky:
Whenever I clean with a paste type cleaner I do wipe the rod....just to clean it. As far as oiling it to reduce the friction.....well..the rod should hardly ever come in contact with the bore....best case not at all but sometimes a bit unavoidable.

Said another way, if there is friction between your rod and your bore, you are using the wrong size rod--by a lot!

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tc98
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stillbeeman:
True. If you're using a proper bore guide and a brush or a jag and patch, the rod shouldn't (notice the word shouldn't) touch.

When I use JB, I run the bare rod thru the guide and bore and then put the patch and JB on and my first pass is to pull it thru the bore. In this way, the excess is squeezed off at the muzzle for easy clean up rather than inside at the leade.

Great idea. I'm tired of having to clean up the mess in and on the outside of the bore guide.

Posts: 250 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 07 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nonsense.Just consider the bore guide as part of the barrel.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fish30114:
quote:

Said another way, if there is friction between your rod and your bore, you are using the wrong size rod--by a lot!

Just exactly what diameter cleaning rod and type of bore guide are you using on a .223 caliber barrel that makes you think you are not touching the bore? Or even a .244 or .277 diameter barrel?

"The right to bear arms" insures your right to freedom, free speech, religion, your choice of doctors, etc. ....etc. ....etc....
-----------------------------------one trillion seconds = 31,709 years-------------------

Posts: 1521 | Location: Just about anywhere in Texas | Registered: 26 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rae59:
quote:
Originally posted by Fish30114:
quote:

Just exactly what diameter cleaning rod and type of bore guide are you using on a .223 caliber barrel that makes you think you are not touching the bore? Or even a .244 or .277 diameter barrel?

Rae, I ain't gonna mic them, but trust me, my rods diamater ain't CLOSE to the bore diameter. My rods are NOT touching the inside of my barrel at all, except possibly when deflecting--the bore guides, maybe some, but never enough that 'friction' is a factor at all--hell I have a couple of 17's and the rods are DEFINITELY sub caliber in diameter.

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote