New
Find
Notify
Tools

Butch's Bore Shine vs. Shooter's Choice
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
For those of you who have used both Shooter's Choice and Butch's Bore Shine for cleaning rifles, which do you prefer and why?

"How's that whole 'hopey-changey' thing working out for ya?"

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
Wipe Out. After cleaning guns with both the product you mentioned, just for shits and giggles, I ht the barrels with wipe out.

The patches were dirty....

Bottom line: I got clean patches out of the barrels after cleaning the guns with both products you listed, then put wipe out in them, and the patches came out dirty.

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ditto with 577Nitroexpress.Wipeout followed by Hoppes 9 , then Tetra to protect the bore.
rob

"the older I get, the better I was"

Posts: 462 | Location: Coogee, Australia | Registered: 26 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Every bore cleaner I've followed with Wipe Out came out with a dirty patch. I think it's the thing for copper fouling. Follow it with something for the powder fouling. It's great stuff and smells a lot less offensive as well. Wife won't bitch as much, I used to have to clean my rifles on the deck.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
I believe I have had better results with Butch's Bore Shine than Shooter's Choice.

Because I am now trying to use up my supply of Shooter's Choice I clean with it the first time then the next night I clean again with Butch's and always get dirty patches initially.

I have reversed the proceedure cleaning with Butch's first then Shooter's the next evening. I still get a slightly dirty patch but not as dirty as when I use Shooters first.

On my rifles I believe Butch's works better. Either one eventually works however when I use up the Shooters I will only buy Butch's in the future.

I also use Wipe Out but usually only every third time I shoot.

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Can't compare as I never used Butch's. I use Foul-Out II for copper fouling of Barnes X bullets. For regular old powder fouling I use 2\3rds Shooters Choice MC#7 and 1\3rd Kano Kroil penetrating oil in a squirt bottle as recommended in Precision Reloading's catalog.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i like butch's unless its heavy copper fouling then i use sweets

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use sweets and kroil and have had very good results, even with heavy copper fouling.

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Butches Bore Shine for me. I have to admit I never tried Wipe Out since I can't find it around here. For diffult cleaning I leave the Butche's in over night with the barrel pointing down and it's usually clean by morning. If not I repeat until it is. And yes it is safe to do so. Follow with Butch's Oil or Miltec and I have never had a problem.
I also use Pro-shot copper remover if I want a faster clean but I start with Butches for powder cleaning.
Butche's and supposedly the Pro-Shot you are able to leave in the bore without damaging it. They don't have as much or any ammonia which is what is used to get rid of copper and also damages the bore.

Posts: 167 | Location: Eastern Shore of MD | Registered: 29 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i think butch's leaves a drier bore.I like shooters choice for rinsing.It does not have a bad smell like pro-shot.I use them all to make sure my bore is super clean.The most effective is JB on a brush.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use Butches, CR 10 and Wipeout. Found Butches tobe better for me than the Shooters choice and Kroil mix I used when cleaning for moly. I no longer use moly.

Mike

vmthtr@new.rr.com
920-562-4134

Posts: 224 | Location: Green Bay, WI | Registered: 08 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of obwhan
posted Hide Post
Really like the Buches boreshine an 1/3 Kroil. seems to work for everthing I need

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER: USNR (ADCS/AW/SW) I have wonderer at times what the TEN COMMAMDMENT'S would look like if Moses had run them through the US congress

Posts: 95 | Location: Whidbey Island Wa | Registered: 22 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Quarter Round
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LE270:
For those of you who have used both Shooter's Choice and Butch's Bore Shine for cleaning rifles, which do you prefer and why?

I've used both and prefer Butch's Bore Shine.

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Between BBS and Shooters Choice, there is no comparison. BBS is better. However, it will dry your bore as mentioned above. Must have good quality oil to follow up.

I use Shooters Choice/Kroil mix per one riflesmiths recommendation as he thinks BBS is too strong.

The only other cleaner that, IMO, works as well or better than Wipeout is Montana Extreme. I followed up a few bores with the wipeout after a good dose of Montana Extreme and found nothing.

I don't care about cleaning smells. They're chemicals, they're supposed to stink.

Montana Extreme in the bore of my .06 after 60+ rounds of TSX bullets made the bore look new.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
posted Hide Post
Let a real shooter like myself answer this one.SC is better because it is less acidic and therefore does not corrode the steel.It also provides the lubrication required for reducing bullet friction in the bore.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Main ingredients of MC7 (Shooters Choice) is naptha 40-50%, Butoxyethanol 5-15%, ammonium salt 5-15%, Mineral oil 5mg/m(cubed), Methyl amyl alcohol 25ppm. It is not marketed as a Copper Solvent but as a fast acting all purpose bore cleaner and conditioner that does not damage the bore like the more aggresive copper solvents. In addition, what little oil it has will not leave a gumming residue like the old Hoppes #9.

BBS Industries Butch's Bore Shine is marketed as a very fast acting bore cleaner that also handles copper. I cannot find the current MSDS but it was near identical to GM TOP engine cleaner (TEC) P/N 1052626. I think this stuff was popular in the benchrest circles as they needed stuff that works "now" w/out much wait.

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
Let a real shooter like myself answer this one.

What does it take to be a "real shooter?"

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Let a real shooter like myself answer this one.SC is better because it is less acidic and therefore does not corrode the steel.It also provides the lubrication required for reducing bullet friction in the bore.

It provides the lubrication for how many shots?

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I feel that one should not fire rounds down a bore that is really dry.Some solvents leave a dry bore and Butche's is one of them.I feel it provides adequate lubrication to last until accuracy drops and you have to clean again.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
For the question aas to Butch's versus Shooters, in my experience it's Butch's hands down.

But they certainly are not at the top of my list.

Wipeout is great stuff. I use it all the time now. But not at the range. In my experience it does not seem to work as good there as it does at home. I think rusty had a similar experience and noticed that Wipeout did not work as well in hot barrels.

At the range, I have tried many solvents. The best, however, is Montana Extreme 50 BMG solvent. It flat out, hands down, works.

I still have some old habits left over from the "old days" when barrel break in was a ceremonial necessity.

If I am trying different ammo, I clean between each type. If doing load development, I clean after each load range.

Montana Extreme until no more blue. Dry patches to make sure it's perfectly dry, and then one more round of solvent. Dry again.

Then I use a bore conditioner - Tetra - for a few swipes. Then dry wipe that out. While the barrel will be dry, the conditioner gives the barrel some slickness to it.

When I get home, it's Wipeout (with the accelerator). With new barrels, don't be surprised if the first dose doesn't get all the fouling out. In fact, it probably will not. Just keep going until no more blue.

The more you shoot, the easier it will be to clean. The bullets smooth out the bores and get rid of those microscopic ridges left over from the barrelling process.

If you continue to get significant fouling after several trips to the range, you may want to consider looking up a good break in procedure. That involves bore paste, which is no fun. You can spend an entire day at the range, go through bags of patches, and shoot less than 20 rounds. No my idea of fun, at least anymore!

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doc:
quote:
Let a real shooter like myself answer this one.

What does it take to be a "real shooter?"

He's told us before. Ya gotta be able to shoot straight without a rest while standing on one leg. IE like a ballet dancer.
But he may be right about BBS being dry, like his humour. I wondered why I couldn't get the normal sized patch down the bore to wipe the stuff out.

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote