THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUN CLEANING FORUM

Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What oil to use in barrel after cleaning?
 Login/Join

posted
Browning A-Bolt 300 wsm.
1. To clean I run a dry patch to push out any loose junk.
2. Then, I soak the brush with Nitro Solvent and brush it out for a bit.
3. I spray out the barrel with carb cleaner.
4. I run dry patches till it is dry.
At the end, what should I lube the barrel with?
How many rounds does it take to foul the barrel?
What oil makes fouling obsolete?
Please critique my cleaning.

Posts: 328 | Location: Southwest Idaho | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I did a pretty extensive barrel cleaning test a while back in conjunction with testing several [over a dozen] Sniper Rifles.

I had a Bore Scope and it was very easy to tell when a barrel was totally clean.

Whether using a good solvent like Shooters choice or a mild abrasive like J&B, or Wipeout, I always dried out the barrel and finished up with Prolix.

Then I dried out the chamber and the barrel.

Our first round out was spot on after using the Prolix.

Also durring long shooting sessions, I brush out the barrel using Prolix, then dry it out and again the first round out hits spot on.

You can get Prolix from www.heritagearms.net

I have no financial intrest in the Prolix Company or Heritage Arms.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any testing using just Wipeout? I ask because the instructions claim that there is a lube left behind after removal of the gunk.

one of us
Picture of RaySendero
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MRAMSAY10:
Browning A-Bolt 300 wsm.
1. To clean I run a dry patch to push out any loose junk.
2. Then, I soak the brush with Nitro Solvent and brush it out for a bit.
3. I spray out the barrel with carb cleaner.
4. I run dry patches till it is dry.
At the end, what should I lube the barrel with?
How many rounds does it take to foul the barrel?
What oil makes fouling obsolete?
Please critique my cleaning.

Critique:
You didn't mention details, but if your Nitro solvent dissolves copper - Don't use a copper brush in your step 2.
Also, again if it disolves copper - try after step 2. but before 3. brushing it down with the solvent and leave overnight, run a dry patch through the next day and check for evidence for greenish-blue color indicating copper is still coming out.

Lube:
I mostly do the final lube with Rem oil. But if rifle is proned to first shot flyers, I've substituted spray silicone and reduced the first shot accuracy problem.

Fouling shots:
I always check/resight-in my hunting rifles before a hunt - Takes 2 to five shots, then don't clean the barrel again until the hunts over.

________
Ray

Posts: 1786 | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
"WIPEOUT" till clean then dry patch then "BALLISTOL" then dry patch prior to use.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
Ballistol is number one, inside and outside. It seems to permeate the metal and prevents rust. thumb

SUSTAINABLY HUNTING THE BLUE PLANET!
"Political language is designed to make lies sound truthful, murder respectable and to give an appearence of solidity to pure wind." Dr J A du Plessis

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
I have been using Breakfree CLP after cleaning with Butch's Boreshine. Dry patch before shooting.

I always hunt with a fowled barrel.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11006 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Boss Hoss
posted Hide Post
Might want to read check out the story in Modern Gunsmith:

Modern Gunsmith Article

Posts: 1004 | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
After extensive research recently I've decided to try GM Top Engine cleaner for carbon removal followed by Wipe-Out foam to get the copper out and then Lock-Eze for lube/protectant.

If it works as good as they say, it won't get any easier.

My dad told me once that if you're gonna kill a rattler with a chainsaw, use the top of the bar.

Posts: 165 | Location: Seymour, Mo | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ballistol

Posts: 1274 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada.  | Registered: 22 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The purpose of the fouling shots are to burn out the oil. Even if you've run a dry patch thru the bore right before firing. This replaces the oil with a layer of carbon. Not a bad thing. I'd rather have it than shoot a dry bore, ie, cleaned with brake cleaner and then fired.

For short storage (like overnight or a week) I run a patch wet with Kroil thru the bore, followed by two dry patches. For Medium storage, I use Rem Oil in the same manner. For long storage, I use a patch wet with Rem Oil and don't patch any out. But I store the rifle in the locker muzzle down. I do like to run a little Hoppe's and some dry patches thru the bore of a rifle that's been in the locker for a while before firing.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
FIRST run should be a bronze brush with solvent. Wet the bore, dissolve the fouling. Then a WET patch.

Instructions on Hoppe's No. 9 note the bronze brush should do ten passes.

I use a bore guide, and resoak the brush at about five passes. Let the solvent work a few minutes and then wet patch, dry patch.

When I'm finished, I run a wet patch with some polymer lube -- white and the label has worn off the bottle.

Then, when shooting, I run a couple dry patches to get the lube out of the bore. Still, a "fouling shot" is required. This shot cleans out the bore, but also brings up the temp.

Both affect accuracy, and I won't shoot a group without first running a fouling shot.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
ATF.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kroil for storage between range shooting sessions. I also like ATF and Marvel Mystery Oil I like even beter plus it smells real good Cool

Posts: 1845 | Registered: 01 November 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
JD,
Are you mixing the ATF and MMO?

Posts: 328 | Location: Southwest Idaho | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doctor D:
After extensive research recently I've decided to try GM Top Engine cleaner for carbon removal followed by Wipe-Out foam to get the copper out and then Lock-Eze for lube/protectant.

If it works as good as they say, it won't get any easier.

I too have recently heard about the wonderful propety's of Lock ease, suspended graphite for the final patch down a barrel. Montdoug has been using a similar product for a number of years. He's not a man that easily takes on change. FS

Posts: 698 | Location: Edmonton Alberta | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
JD,
Are you mixing the ATF and MMO?

Nope. no need to.

Posts: 1845 | Registered: 01 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you finish cleaning your barrel with Prolix, and then dry the barrel and chamber out, your first round out will be where it should be...

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm of the opinion that most guns are overcleaned. I haven't run tests to prove it, but acceptable non-benchrest accuracy will last a helluva lot more rounds in most barrels than most people think. Don't clean unless you have to.

However, when I clean, I have quit making the effort to get EVERY LAST COPPER MOLECULE out of the barrel. I clean until I get a reasonably clean result on a patch, wipe dry, and, for short or medium term storage, run a wet patch with Hoppe's #9 through it and put it up. Usually before shooting, I run a patch through the bore. It will usually come out with some shades of green. The same thing will usually happen if you think you've got your bore squeaky clean before leaving the Hoppe's in there.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
<Andrew cempa>
posted
Gator;

I agree.

I clean my high power cometition service rifle once every ~500 rounds, whether it needs it or not. In between sessions/matches, I run a CLP wetted patch down the bore, wipe up the action/gas system w/o disassembly, then a dry patch before next session.

It shoots under 1 MOA if I do my part.

MY cleaning process:

at 500 +/- rounds ( I record every shot in a log book) I brush w/ CLP, then CLP wet patches until most gunk is gone, a dry patch or two, then foaming bore cleaner until the blue is pretty much done (maybe an hour, then wipe w/ CLP again), grease/lube required areas as specified.

In January of each year, I tear the rifle down, do 100% cleaning, part eval and skim bedding (if I have time or perceived need), then start over. I have a documented 4700 rounds through this rifle (full pressure bedded NM M1 Garand in 30/06, Krieger 1-12 heavy CM barrel). Test group at 100yds last week after annual maint resulted in a 5 shot 200 yd group measuring just over 1.5 inches tall,1 inch wide, slow prone (sling only), after 3 fouling shots. I expect another 5000 rounds or more from this rifle. Throat erosion is at 2 or 3

Making NRA Master with this rifle this year across the course (200-300 & 600 yards) is my goal, I am averaging about 93.5% or ~750 of 800 as of last season.

"Burnishing" your bore by excessive cleaning is overated and probably the cause of many accuracy problems.

Always use a good rod (I like tipton graphite -wipe it after every pass as well), clean patches, and always use a bore guide and NEVER use abrasives- a good quality barrel needs nothing more. Always pull your brushes, patches etc from the breech to the muzzle- same way the bullets go.

Best;

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I've read great things about the GM Top Engine Cleaner. I can't find any here in town. Do you think that all spray engine cleaners may be the same and will work good for carbon? I bought some AutoZone store brand, but haven't tried it yet....

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:

I've read great things about the GM Top Engine Cleaner. I can't find any here in town. Do you think that all spray engine cleaners may be the same and will work good for carbon? I bought some AutoZone store brand, but haven't tried it yet....

No, not if you are talking about the stuff made for cleaning the outside of the engine. GM top engine cleaner is made for cleaning the inside of the engine.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote