Find
Notify
Tools

Thoughts on a bore scope
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Gary Surko
posted
Sold one of my shotguns and am thinking of investing in a bore scope. I have several rifles and help take care of several more that belong to friends and reatives. I'm thinking this is a good use for found money. What do you guys think?

Political correctness offends me.

Posts: 668 | Location: Hastings, Michigan | Registered: 23 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mr. Surko,

I've pondered this question and while I don't think there is a right or wrong answer, I decided not to buy a borescope. I will maintain my rifle's barrel to the best of my ability and replace it when it won't shoot anymore. Cost of 'scope equals cost of replacing barrel.

That said, I'm grateful to guys like stuntpilot2 and the many others who post their experiences.

Posts: 157 | Location: South Carolina, USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would love to have a bore scope but every time I start to buy one I stop because of price. A friend of mine pluncked down about $750 USD on his and has become addicted to it. He uses it to look at each new rifle he plans to buy and after he cleans his rifles. It's almost an overload of information that he really can't do anything about.

Bottom line: I'd buy a best quality bore scope if I didn't have another use for the money.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Unit5A
posted Hide Post
You would most probably see all kinds of things that you wish you hadn't, and not be able to do anything about them anyway... Wink
If you want to spend some money on something interesting, bore gages(air) are cool....and expensive also unfortunately.

"Hunt smart, know your target and beyond"

Posts: 394 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 20 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.6mmbr.com/bulletin.html

scroll down to
BoreScope Video–Factory vs. Custom Barrels
and watch the video.

Posts: 104 | Location: Ohio USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had a borescope for about two years. I found one on sale at Midway. Just after I purchased it I learned that Hawkeye had a rebate program so I ended up with it costing about $450 including a hardcase and cleaning supplies. A great investment.

It took some use to learn what I was looking at. Of course, pitting is easy to spot. And copper build up is also easy to see. It took a while to figure out when the lands were not sharp. I guess I was on the verge of "information overload" but I took my time and really learned what to look for. For years I thought that I was doing a good job of cleaning. What a mistake. The borescope has changed the way that I take care of my barrels.

I have now reached the point that I use the borescope to monitor the success of my cleaning efforts. I also use it in negotiating on used guns. Sellers can't just speculate about the condition when you pull out the borescope. When you show the seller the condition, it changes the conversation.

I strongly urge that you either acquire a borescope or make the acquaintance of someone that has one. Or maybe go partners on buying one. If you are buying used guns, you will be very glad that you made the investment. I put a shoulder sling on my Hawkeye case and when I go to a gunshow, I take it along.

Posts: 188 | Location: South Dakota, USA | Registered: 10 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Unit5A
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HHI6818:
http://www.6mmbr.com/bulletin.html

scroll down to
BoreScope Video–Factory vs. Custom Barrels
and watch the video.

It looks like they (Lilja) make a very good barrel, at least visually. The comparison pictured (Rem) would be scrap metal when I made barrels for sure. It would be hard for me to believe that the Rem. barrel pictured actually meets the engineering criteria; quality.
The bore diameters (inner/outer), and consistant groove width are very important. Ideally, a slight small taper in groove width and bore diameter (within tolerance band) towards the muzzle end is even better if splitting hairs.

"Hunt smart, know your target and beyond"

Posts: 394 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 20 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gary Surko
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input guys. I'm going for it.

Posts: 668 | Location: Hastings, Michigan | Registered: 23 April 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gary, just as a follow up, I have had a Hawkeye for a few years now, and I feel like it was a good investment. You can definitely see some stuff going on you wouldn't have predicted. It has helped me understand my barrels better.

One thing that I feel, that probably runs against convention, is that a barrel can be pretty 'dirty' and shoot REALLY well. I have a couple of rifles with over 400 rounds through them, and I have only done what I call a stage one cleaning, which is just pushing a lightly fitting patch (not loose not tight) with something like Tetra gun lube down the tube to get out the flaky stuff like powder residue, and then a dry bore mop that is pretty tight in the bore for 5 or 6 passes to kind of slick things up.... I check these barrels regularly with my bore scope, and am comfortable that the barrels are doing OK, I would have never gone this long with out an agressive cleaning before....Most of my other rifles get cleaned more often and more agressively, but I is neat to have the data from looking through the borescope.

A quick note, it is really useful to sit your rifle in a gun-vise when 'scoping' it.

Good Luck with your scope--Don

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gary Surko
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the tips. I'm a hobbiest and I like all aspects of gun stuff. I like reloading almost as much as shooting,knowing what going on inside my barrel should be a real kick, not to mention fireside chats.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Right-On! Right-On! Cool

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gary Surko:
Sold one of my shotguns and am thinking of investing in a bore scope. I have several rifles and help take care of several more that belong to friends and reatives. I'm thinking this is a good use for found money. What do you guys think?

Good idea, but it could develope a case of OCD!

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gary Surko
posted Hide Post
Going by what my wife says is wrong with me thats minor.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If your own a buch of firearms and shoot and clean them regularly. Then fore go your next gun purchase or sell off some unused guns and buy a bore scope.

Until you actully look in the bore and see what their at the microscopic level afforded by a bore scope you truly don't know whats happing during the cleaning process.
You maybe wasting a lot of time cleaning a clean bore. Or stopping the cleaning process days too soon.

Any one that own fine fire arms that is not using a bore scope is not being kind to their treasured toys.

The scope is just as necessary as a quality cleaning rod, bore guide, brushes, patches chemicals.

Posts: 308 | Location: Durham Region Ont. Canada | Registered: 17 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gary Surko
posted Hide Post
Well I got the scope and I can't believe what a great addition it is to my toy stash. I need alot more experiance with it but so far it's money well spent.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Gary, I'm glad you are liking your bore scope. I found that I used a lot more at first, but it does stuff you can't do any other way in terms of monitoring what's up with your barrels. I found that is also interesting to look around in the chamber area, especially near the locking lug recesses, some weird stuff can get in there!?

Regards--Don Davis

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gary Surko
posted Hide Post
That's a good tip. Thanks!

one of us
posted Hide Post
It`s also useful to inspect the interior of loading dies, empty cartridge cases, and bolt bodies.

I know what you`re thinking,...did he fire six shots, or only five?

Posts: 116 | Location: Finger Lakes, New York, | Registered: 10 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Remember that the borescope tells you absolutely nothing about the actual bore and groove dimensions. And many of you are happy to go through life without out knowing the fit of the bullet to the barrel.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am currently conducting a study of barrel cleaning using a Hawkeye bore scope.

I will post my findings when done.

I will say this about using the bore scope...

FASCINATING.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote