New
Find
Notify
Tools

Paste Wax on metalwork
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've seen many references to using wax as a protective agent on gunmetal. I bought some Renaissance Wax for some wood and it says it can be used on guns (wood or metal) and that it strips all old oil or grease off.

Question, if it removes all the oil from the metalwork, does it provide enough protection against rust?

Use enough gun...
Shoot 'till it's dead, especially if it bites.

Posts: 898 | Location: Southlake, Tx | Registered: 30 June 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Stick with quality oil on blued metal. Or RIG for very long term storage.

Paste Wax is good on stocks.

Case color should be wiped clean with acetone and painted with UV blocking spar varnish.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim Baiar (Half Moon Rifle Shop, Gun Goddess Rust Blue) recommends and uses Renaissance Wax as a final coat/finish after rust bluing. I use it, it works.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
I use wax only when taking a treasured double out in the elements of Alaska's hunting season. It stays on and protects well. After the hunt I wipe it off and oil well for storage.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hmmmm . . . years ago, I put Turtle Wax on my Model 70. I just slathered it on, and after it dried there were white deposits.

Seemed to work just fine. No rust after several days in wet hunting conditions, and the metal looks like it did before I applied the TW.

It's an anecdotal account . . . JFWIW.

Posts: 939 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 24 September 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use paste wax in Alaska, and in Africas humid climes as well as South Texas and in Idahos snow country...Wax is better than any oil..I learned this from Brads dad many years ago. We haven't always had stainless steel and plastic rifles, and if we never had them I'd still be happy cuz I got wax and like blue metal and pretty wood. Eeker

The new Johnsons wax is soft stuff so I don't know if it works or not..I am about out of an old can that I have had for ions, that stuff lasts forever..I would sure like to find a can of the old hard wax that Johnson made.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41865 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the replies.

Use enough gun...
Shoot 'till it's dead, especially if it bites.

Posts: 898 | Location: Southlake, Tx | Registered: 30 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Miles Massey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by spanishhombre42:
Stick with quality oil on blued metal. Or RIG for very long term storage.

Paste Wax is good on stocks.

Case color should be wiped clean with acetone and painted with UV blocking spar varnish.
Spanishhombre42 = Larry Root's latest nom de guerre. GO AWAY, YOU SORRY-ASS BASTARD, LARRY. Roll Eyes

Posts: 209 | Location: Up in yo' gree-ill... | Registered: 06 December 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've used Johnsons floor wax on my guns for over 50 years.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When living in Indiana my uncle used to put turtle wax on all his guns, stocks and all. His guns never rusted. I oiled the heck out of my guns and found a little bit of rust forming where the wood met the steel near the action of my rifle. After that I pulled the stocks and have used wax ever since. Haven't had any rust problems since. Of course I haven't lived in a humid climate since getting out of the Army.

Posts: 743 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: 23 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There have been a couple of extensive tests through the years that compared differant oils and waxes for rust resistance. Johson's paste wax always beat everything. Usually coming in for second place has been a product put out by Boeing called Boeshield.

They also found out several other paste waxes worked well as long as they contained carnuba.

Before you apply the wax, clean the metal, then warm it slightly with a propane torch. It will sweat the moisture out of the metal pores. Let it cool and apply the wax. Buff it and apply a second coat and buff. You will have the best rust protection available.

Craftsman

Posts: 1534 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is there an appropriate method for applying paste wax. Do I need to strip the oils off?

Posts: 283 | Location: SW Oregon | Registered: 12 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There is a recent lubrication and corrosion test posted on several websites I visit. The tester used Minwax and it didn't do as well at corrosion protection or lubrication as many other petroleum based products. I don't know if Minwax contains carnuba wax or not and how it compares to Johnson Paste Wax. I have some Renaissance wax but I haven't tried it yet.

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bb...pic.php?f=2&t=398836

http://forums.outdoorsdirector...e-product-evaluation

Posts: 447 | Location: North Pole, Alaska | Registered: 28 April 2001Reply With Quote