New
Find
Notify
Tools

combined technology bullets
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
has anyone had problems cleaning a barrel that has had alot of the nosler combined tech. bullets fired in it?

One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
No, because I can't get ANY of them to shoot. Try J-B and a lot of elbow grease.

Posts: 4848 | Location: Clute, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MuskegMan
posted Hide Post
The non-coated partition gold bullets shoot well for me. .308/150 and .338/250 specifically. I've gone thru the trouble of de-molying them as they are hard to find (discontinued) in nakid form.

Posts: 2097 | Location: S.E. Alaska | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
how did you demoly them ? thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks for the info. i did use JB and got the rifle shooting better than it was but don't know if i got it all out. if it is moly someone probably makes a solvent for it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's not moly. It's called lubalox. My 7mags shoot the 150 BST's very well.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
so if it is lubalox is J B the only way to remove it? i just ordered a bore scope from Larry Willis so i can tell what i'm doing. i had read this stuff was moly but have had doubts that it was. thanks JG.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No problem Phil. I would expect JB would do the trick. My barrels are not prone to fouling much, and they don't with this ballistic silver tip either.

One thing you may try, once you scrub your barrel good and clean with JB's and remove copper, is to apply dyna bore coat as per instructions on the bottle. I apply this to all my rifles. It probably won't help accuracy any, but it will only require 5-6 patches to get the barrel squeaky clean afterwards.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://faq.nosler.com/index.ph...at=4&id=5&artlang=en

quote:

What is the difference between the Ballistic Tip® and the Combined Technology® Ballistic Silvertip® (CTBST)?

Structurally, they are the same bullet. The only difference between the two is that the CTBST has a silver colored tip and a black, Winchester® Lubalox® coating on the exterior of the bullet. Lubalox® is an oxide based coating which reduces fouling and allows for more firings between barrel cleanings. It does not reduce friction to the point where loads may be increased, nor does it build up in the barrel as Moly coatings do. Lubalox® does not leave residue nor create a coating on the bore. Normal cleaning procedures should be used with CTBSTs.

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks JG i will give the dyna bore coat a try. this particuler rifle is a 700 adl with a plastic stock. a friend bought it at a pawn shop for $400 its a 270. it seemed to prefer the combined tech 130's and he could get it to shoot 3/8s inch groups if he took his time& didn't get hot. accuracy fell off and it appeared to have alot of black built up in the corners of the lands. i took the rifle and did some heavy cleaning and it is back to shooting good. i just want to get it totally clean.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used them quite a lot and also the new Nosler silver tips and the GS customs..

I have never had any problems with any of these coatings and they don't seem to interfere with using non coated bullets after the using them The same with monolithics, I shoot monolithics and cup and core together and see no change in accuracy or POI.?? Confused

I am pretty well convienced that a good barrel has no problems and that problems occur with mediocre and bad barrels.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote