New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cleaning Vise
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've read every post on this forum back to the beginning. Learned a lotta stuff. I notice not much seems said about what you all use to hold a long gun while you clean it. There are many store/catalog-bought cradles which I suspect, in some cases, are more a grab for your money than true utility.
So what do you use/recommend both for in home and range use? Before moving here, I had a rifle vise I hand-cobbled up of 2X6 material with carpet pieces glued on at appropriate places. As long as you didn't have to lug it around it worked fine but, alas, didn't make the move. Some of the cradles range from instant-extruded MTM products to aircraft-grade Sinclair's products. What do you think is best?

Don B

Posts: 78 | Location: Hampton, VA | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don, For rifles I use a Midway Shooters Vice. Seems to work pretty well for my needs as I'm not a smith. Shotgun barrels don't work in the Midway however, so I line my bench vice with a couple of small thick towels and DON'T over tighten.

NRA Life Endowment Member

Posts: 420 | Location: Troy, Michigan | Registered: 21 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Either the simple Tipton model for bolt guns or the fancy one for bolt and AR-type rifles. The simple one is about 50 bucks; the fancy one is a hundred. I have both, but use the fancy one more than the other. The fancy one is called the Best Gun Vise...

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewP...productNumber=110829

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Unless you're a total klutz, you can cobble up a cradle that as good purpose-wise as anything you can buy. And a lot cheaper too.

When I go to a range, I carry the cheap MTM box. It does what I want which is hold the rifle whilst I'm running a cleaning rod thru it.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have had and worked with a lot of different ones, including a really nice 'classic' style with a padded vise made from white muslim, and the body made of Mahogony!

The Tipton vises are just simply the best IMO, and like homebrewer, I have both, and use the 'Best' model more often.

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Homebrewer, I had not heard of the Tipton Vises. The simple one for bolt rifles looks like it will be my vise! I am a bolt-only kinda guy. It also helps the vise is on sale for less than $40. Thanks for the replies. This is a great forum.

Posts: 78 | Location: Hampton, VA | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by homebrewer:
Either the simple Tipton model for bolt guns or the fancy one for bolt and AR-type rifles. The simple one is about 50 bucks; the fancy one is a hundred. I have both, but use the fancy one more than the other. The fancy one is called the Best Gun Vise...

QUOTE]
+1

Posts: 4848 | Location: Clute, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
I use either a Midway Range Box (with built in cradle) or the PAST Gun Vise.

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shop built, not fancy, but functional.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Boss Hoss
posted Hide Post
I use and like very much the Tipton---adjustable for all of my rifles...

Posts: 1004 | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CaneCorso
posted Hide Post
My favorite is the CTK Precision vice - all metal, rock solid, lightweight, and made in the USA

$130 ... just a little more than the plastic vices

I like being able to use it for bore/scope-sighting and basic maintenance. It's also easy to take to the range.

CTK Precision Gun Vice

~~~

Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
1 Corinthians 16:13

Posts: 622 | Location: CA, USA | Registered: 01 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigB
posted Hide Post
I have one of the plastic made in USA MTM ones and for $40 bucks or so it works well. The CTK one that Cane Corso posted a photo of looks great. May need to get one of those - and made in USA also.

BigB

Posts: 1401 | Location: Northwest Wyoming | Registered: 13 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Craigster, when did you sneak into my shop and copy my vise?? Smiler

Sometimes we over-think things. When I was younger and poorer, I've cut V's in a stout cardboard box and used that. Throw a shop towel over each of the V's and you're good to go.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use on of these, bout 20 bucks, comes apart and doesnt take much space in my truck bed tool box along with my rifles ,cept I dont keep that much stuff in it. keep all my brushes, boreguides etc in a mil tool bag

Posts: 1845 | Registered: 01 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
JD, My eyes are the second oldest part of my body. Is that a MTM model?

Wasbeeman, Just went to my local truck rental and bought a triple-ply cardboard box. The wardrobe style with a little bar in the top for hanging clothes. Cut the V's and went high tech on the shop towel. A local car upholstery shop gave me car carpet scraps to cover the V's. I'm in business till this thread is exhausted.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
JD, My eyes are the second oldest part of my body. Is that a MTM model?

Yep MTM. Got it at walmart.

Posts: 1845 | Registered: 01 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Wilton vise with urathane jaws for everything from cleaning to mounting scopes ect.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:
Wilton vise with urathane jaws for everything from cleaning to mounting scopes ect.

A bench mounted vise is what I use pretty much also. The lighter portables do come in handy.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ted, is that some kind of special double rifle you are working on???

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
It kind of looks that way.

But no, it is a front ring jig that I made from a 1" piece of cold roll and a brass plumb bob.
It is used to align the front ring with the C/L of the barrel before the rear ring is installed.
Then I lap it all in and presto!!!

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:
It kind of looks that way.

But no, it is a front ring jig that I made from a 1" piece of cold roll and a brass plumb bob.
It is used to align the front ring with the C/L of the barrel before the rear ring is installed.
Then I lap it all in and presto!!!

That is some serious presto--but cool!