New
Find
Notify
Tools

Only way to "really" clean a barrel
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have been shooting rifles for over 40 years.

I have used most of the solvents/techniques that have been on the market over the years.

However...

The only way to REALLY totally clean your barrel is to use a product like J&B or Rem Clean [originaly Gold Medalion for you old timers]. Ie. an "abrasive" bore cleaner.

If I [or you] have a bbl that is a bad fouler, that will get it done every time.

Recently after using J&B mixed with Prolix [to a toothpaste like thickness, a trick I learned from Aleko of Heritage Arms] on a 300 Win Mag bbl, I then used Prolix to finish the process, flushing out rhe J&B mixture. I also brushed a new 308 bbl with Prolix and left it wet over night not dry patching it out.

Both of these bbls put the next 3 rounds under one inch and the zero did not shift. After shooting 24 rounds, I "punched out" the 300 Mag bbl with a brass brush and Prolix, then used a couple of patches with Prolix, followed by 2 dry patches, the next 3 rounds, and the next several 3 round groups all hit to the POI, ie no zero shifting.

You might want to give Prolix a try.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How did you apply the JB/Prolix mix? Patch? Nylon brush?

Thanks.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Aleko just dips a bronze brush into the mixture.

I like to use a worn down bronze bursh, or the next size smaller, and wrap a square cleaning patch around the brush and then I cover it with the mixture with my finger.
I will then to 5 to 10 strokes, push a couble wet patches with prolix through the bore, change the patch on the brush and repeat until the bbl is clean.

How do you know it is clean???

When I stop a dry patch about 3/4" frpm the end of the bbl, and shone a flashlight into the muzzle and the inside of the bbl looks like a new car chromed bumper I figure she is clean.

Make sure all the mixture is out of the chamber area, pass a wet patch with Prolix down the bbl and you are done.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
one of us

Posted 25 July 2007 05:07
Well if the bore is prone to fouling excessively . Use the Foul Out 3 rod by Outers !.

If the bores are just normal ugly I use Kroil !. I fill the bore let it set over night or a couple of minutes depends on barrel SS or Steel , Chrome bore and condition of bore .

It depends on my time frame for cleaning to .

I also find using Mil-C-372B combined with Shooters choice ( Copper Out )cleans anything out of the bore quickly like with a swab and brush followed by a wet then dry patches .

Kind of like Auto's if it gets you from A to B and doesn't brake down it works for me .

I don't need to make some Yacht payment for a high dollar snake oil company .

Shoot straight know your target . ... salute

Dr.K Carbon

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
all hit to the POI, ie no zero shifting.

You might want to give Prolix a try.

Mine do the same with Sweet's then Hoppies.
But USA shooters here on AR get on my case when I mention it. Heavyweights even like MacD and RIP. Still I always say, if you buys cheap you gets cheap.

stir

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote