Find
Notify
Tools

Rust removal on a Citori
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted
Not sure if this is the right forum but here goes.....
I have a Browning Citori White Lightning 12 ga 26" barrels
Last winter I took said shotgun on a Chukar hunt in Nevada, snow etc.
Totally my fault, but I forgot the shotgun in a hard travel case at home for some period of time.
Some rust had developed around the action, on the trigger guard and some rust spots on the rib and barrels. Not pocked but certainly some rust. I sent to browning and they gave me an estimate of around $800 to fix. The biggest portion of the cost was "lenduring" at about $500.
First, what is lenduring?

Second, is this a reasonable price? I can post some pics if it helps.

It's not the money, but the gun is a $1,500 gun and I don't know if I would rather spend $800 on my error or keep it as a beater, and spend $1,500 on a new shotgun that I would like to have (like a 12ga teknys).
I've been so obsessed with my SBE II this year that I have kind of forgotten about this gun and finally decided I needed to do something with it one way or the other. Any thoughts?

Justin

one of us
posted Hide Post
My guess is it means de-plating the receiver and removing the blue from the rest, then re-polishing. The remainder is probably for re-bluing and plating the receiver(nitride finish). I'd say $500 would be more in line, but you are dealing with the "factory". Kinda like buying car parts from Ford or GM vs NAPA. The receiver finish is proprietary and they've got control on that. It's a tough call. If the metal is not seriously pitted, I'd probably steam the rust spots for ten minutes and card with burlap, then buff lightly with a bronze brush.This will convert the rust to black oxide and prevent white spots. Then do as you say and get another one. If there is rust breaking through the white nitride finish on the receiver, don't use any severe mechanical means to remove it. That finish is only .002 deep. Heat the receiver with a hair dryer and apply a 5% solution of boric acid and water to the rust spots with an artists brush. Keep it wet for at least 20 minutes. Rinse with water. Make a thin paste of baking soda and water, dip your finger in it and rub the spots. This should remove the rust and not damage the plating. You can buy boric acid at the local home store in the form of "Roach Powder".

Posts: 3672 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well first of all I think you should be beat with a stick, horse whipped, tarred and feathered, tied up and burnt with cigarretts, restrained and subjected to electric shock, and have various body parts twisted with pliers...

However I do not think I would spend the money to get that gun restored...

Rather buy one just like it to hunt with in good weather, and show your hunting buddies at the house over cocktails...

And use the "damaged one" to hunt with in foul weather.

I would break and remove every mirror in my house, as I could not bear to look at Myself after such a travesty... Eeker CRYBABY homer

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted Hide Post
NE,
I'm right there with ya. That's what made me so mad, I had no one to blame but myself.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Please take my post with the humour that was ment, even though I realize your problem is of a serious nature...

I would seek the advise of a real professional.

Citoris are nice guns.

One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted Hide Post
NE,
I did, I can honestly say it made me laugh out loud. Big Grin

I guess I'm just looking for advice on where to send this thing to get someone who is knowledgeable to look at it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well I can say that JJ Perodeau, at Champlins is my first choice when it comes to quality gun work.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a gunsmith somehow scar up the finish on the brand new BPS that I had bought for my son's Christmas present. I made him send it to Browning to be repaired. After they were through with it (5 mos.) it looked like brand new.

I have considered sending my Superposed to them for a refinish but then I would probably be afraid to use it.

Posts: 185 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
0000 steel wool and a lil Rem. Oil. this will get the rust off all nickel surfaces. For your rib and other blued parts slightly scrub. There are many gun smiths out there that can do you a quality job for much much less.

Speak softly and carry a big stick, and you will go far. -- Teddy Roosevelt

Posts: 108 | Location: Panhandle of Texas | Registered: 20 July 2009Reply With Quote