New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hoppe's Bore Snake
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
How well do these things work at removing fouling? Are they just to get the loose crud out, or do they do any noticeable cleaning?

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had a positive experience with mine (both rifle and pistol). I have heard the 'Viper' line is not worth the extra ca$h. I like the fact I am able to clean my revolvers and semi-auto/lever action rifles from the breach and not the muzzle. I use mine along with Hoppes #9 solvent.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do you apply solvent pre or post brush?

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you like the idea of repeatedly dragging abrasive fouling through your bore, then the Bore Snake is for you.

Personally I wouldn't use one unless it was brand new and I had no other alternative.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mike_elmer
posted Hide Post
drewhenrytnt,

I use the Boresnake for cleaning my M1 Garand, and for my pump shotguns. I use Hoppes solvent on a cleaning rod to get the powder fouling out, then dry patch, and then run the bore snake through. I inspect the barrel, and if it looks good, I run the cleaning rod with oil and then dry patch. If it needs more cleaning, I repeat with the solvent/dry patch/bore snake. Seems to work well enough to suit me!!

Posts: 8421 | Location: adamstown, pa | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I squirt solvent down the bore prior to using the bore snake. If you are paranoid about 'abrasive fouling' you can always clean the bore snake with dish detergent and let dry after each use.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That sorta like saying just use one patch for all your cleaning and only replace it when it gets worn out.

To each his own.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mike_elmer
posted Hide Post
Actually, I believe the bore snake was originally designed to be used as an on-site, quick clean between squads at a shoot, type product. It was not to be used as a substitute for correct cleaning.

Still, for guns where cleaning from the breach is not possible, I have found it to be the next best thing. It does pull dirt and fouling out of the barrel of shotguns and rifles, when used in tandem with bore solvents and patches. From my perspective, it doesn't eliminate cleaning from the muzzle, but it does offer a way to pull residual solvents out from the breach end, and wipe the barrel thoroughly.

Posts: 8421 | Location: adamstown, pa | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mike_elmer:
drewhenrytnt,

I use the Boresnake for cleaning my M1 Garand, and for my pump shotguns. I use Hoppes solvent on a cleaning rod to get the powder fouling out, then dry patch, and then run the bore snake through. I inspect the barrel, and if it looks good, I run the cleaning rod with oil and then dry patch. If it needs more cleaning, I repeat with the solvent/dry patch/bore snake. Seems to work well enough to suit me!!

Hoppes No 9 is not corrosive, so the next time you do this, take a wet patch and run it down the bore. Let the Hoppes soak overnight, then run another wet patch down the bore. I am willing to bet the patch does not come out the same color as it went in.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mike_elmer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
quote:
Originally posted by mike_elmer:
drewhenrytnt,

Hoppes No 9 is not corrosive, so the next time you do this, take a wet patch and run it down the bore. Let the Hoppes soak overnight, then run another wet patch down the bore. I am willing to bet the patch does not come out the same color as it went in.

Oh, I am not saying it gets it all... If I want to clean the bore to that degree, I use Oisso paste, Sweets, and Hoppe's.... That combination will strip it all.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Opus1: Um, IMHO you don't understand the difference between 'worn out' and 'cleaning'.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
And like I said, if you believe that repeatedly dragging fouling through your bore is a good idea, then a Bore Snake is for you.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Opus1: Repeat after me: dish detergent cleans the bore snake, dish detergent cleans the bore snake (repeat until memorized).

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh that helps so much. So you drag it through your bore, then off to the dish soap for cleaning followed by another drag through the bore followed by another trip to the dish soap for cleaning. And so on and so forth until your bore is clean.

Got it.

Thanks all the same, but I'll stick with a bore guide, patches, solvents and a coated cleaning rod. I would rather not make cleaning my firearms a full day project.

Roll Eyes

One of Us
Picture of mike_elmer
posted Hide Post
I take it, Opus doesn't like snakes!! LOL!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Damn Mike, and here I was trying to be subtle.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I gotta agree with Opus on this one.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mike_elmer
posted Hide Post
sofa hilbily

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Think I'll just stick with Wipe Out!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use only bore snakes, one pass is 180 patches. I have not damaged a bore since the boresnake was invented..Those that feel otherwise are only of the opinion they may damage a bore, without any real proff that I know of...What I do know is more bores are ruined with a cleaning rod than anything else.

Also, I clean my boresnakes pretty often, stick them in a sock and toss them in the washer then the dryer..

About twice a year I give my rifles a good cleaning with Wipe-Out, followed by a good coat of WD-40 and put them up..Do this after the sumer/spring varmint season and again after the big game season, only if I have shot them a lot.

On Varmints I may shoot a hundred or more rounds, sometimes way more than that..put a little whatever on the bore snake brush and make about 3 passes and accuracy comes back..

Jack Belk did some study on boresnakes and that is all he uses..He is about as knowledgable as a gunsmith can be.

I just feel like one should at least try them before condemning them because it just seems so, and keep in mind that what "stuff" you get on a bore snake from a rifle barrel boils down to "stuff collected" is softer than steel.

I do keep my bore snakes in plastic boxes, and don't let them touch the floor or whatever..I also never leave the house to hunt/shootr without my Rapid Rod, to clear a barrel, my Boresnake, a screw driver, and my pocket knife.

Just my two bits on what has been working for me for an awful long time.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use Bore Snakes for my shotguns after skeet and sporting clay sessions but I use my Otis Cleaning system to fully clean all my rifles and shotguns.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.

Posts: 383 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 24 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For me, a bore snake is a field cleaning tool.

I think they work well, will take the worst of powder fouling out, and make sure your gun is not building up undesirable crud in the bore.

But it is not a replacement for formal cleaning.

I use them on multi day hunts when traveling extensively, as they pack easily, which a one piece rod, bore guide, jags and brushes and supply of patches will not do.

I do bring a milsurp jointed rod in case I need to remove a barrel obstruction (which the snake will not do, of course) but don't like them for cleaning.

Posts: 10589 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anyone who owns a borescope would never own a bore snake. I happen to own a Hawkeye borescope.

Funny how people simply "believe" they are not doing damage to their firearm when they have no tools to inspect a bore.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry, Opus.

I do own one (Hawkeye also.)

Can't say I have noticed any damage from the intermittent use I have done with one.

Maybe if that is all you use it might, but so far, no problems- knock on wood.

Posts: 10589 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
Using a dirty boresnake to "clean" your bore is like using the same washcloth to wash your face that you just scrubbed your ass with.

Nothing goes through any of my bores more than once, and only in one direction.

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1961 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
So you guys don't think a metal rod doesn't pick up "stuff" and its mostly imbedded, particularly aluminum and graphite, keep in mind that fouling etc. from the bore is softer than barrel steel! and yes I have access to a bore scope. I'm calling bsflag on that one..

Imagined problems is the ruination of fun with guns Inc. Roll Eyes

That said to each his own, but I have yet to ruin a barrel with a bore snake, or even have any indication of damage.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote