Is there only one good brand???

Question:
Is Lucas the only good bore-guide???

Choices:
Lucus!!!
other OK...brand below

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36531 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Whoever voted other did not say what other was!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36531 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
I have Sinclair (and a few home made as well)

Von Gruff.

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2684 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
Lucas is the only one I know of with a rod guide.....I like that feature. I have some sinclairs and others for calibers that Mike does not make. He just sent out a 500 jeff for me the other day. I have a couple dozen lucas guides.

Mac

Mac

Posts: 1722 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
On the subject of bore guides, does anybody know how to make one using an empty case? Ive heard they work quite well?

Posts: 885 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 08 January 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've got a ton of Lucas, and several others as well. The 'universal' from Sinclair are fine, as are their rifle specific Delrin ones. The rod guide on the back of the Lucas' guide is good, but ain't the end all, and oddly enough, isn't present on all my guides from him (I have over 12).

I prefer ones that are specific to the rifle instead of the 'universal' ones, but I use them (the universal ones) quite often too.

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lal:
On the subject of bore guides, does anybody know how to make one using an empty case? Ive heard they work quite well?

Drill the primer pocket through to just oversize of your rod. You then insert the rod and screw on your jag. You need something to poke the case up into the chamber but the jag pops it out.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
I feel a better way is to make one like I did for my 404 by drilling out the case head to inside wall dia. then I turned the rim down enough to fit in a bolt dia sizeed length of aluminium tube and it workes like a standard rod guide, with the ability to be put into the action as a unit and left in situ as the rod is used and withdrawn. Just be aware that being brass there may be a false positive for copper deposits on patches. I have rod centers to fit the rear of my guides but usually dont use them as I keep the rod centered by eye and get a better feel for running it true.

Von Gruff.

Von Gruff.

Posts: 2684 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Von Gruff:
I feel a better way is to make one like I did for my 404 by drilling out the case head to inside wall dia. then I turned the rim down enough to fit in a bolt dia sizeed length of aluminium tube and it workes like a standard rod guide, with the ability to be put into the action as a unit and left in situ as the rod is used and withdrawn. Just be aware that being brass there may be a false positive for copper deposits on patches. I have rod centers to fit the rear of my guides but usually dont use them as I keep the rod centered by eye and get a better feel for running it true.

Von Gruff.

Excellent idea. I have constructed several similar guides for my rifles by using thin walled brass tubing (hobby stores and hardware)and empty cases. I cut the tubing so that it protrudes from the rear of the action by 2 inches or so with the opposite end at the chamber mouth. Then I drill out one case as outlined previously and use a tubing cutter to cut another case about 1/4 in. past the extractor groove. I drill out that case too. Next, I insert the rim of the complete case in one end and the cut off case head in the other end of the tubing. I then use the tubing cutter to crimp the tube into the extractor grooves, thus attaching it permanently to the cases. Finally, with the apparatus inserted in the chamber, I mark the location of the receiver bridge on the tube and wrap duct tape around that mark till I get a snug fit in the receiver. This centers it. Once you do one, it will only take 5 min to make another. The case head in the back is there to keep me from cutting my fingers on the sharp edge of the tubing.

Posts: 3672 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Boss Hoss
posted Hide Post
I have 3 favorites and there is not a dimes worth of difference betwen them:

Lucas

Lucas

and Lucas..

Posts: 1004 | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
quote:

That's from the muzzle -- wrong way for a bolt gun.

Posts: 4848 | Location: Clute, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Possum Hollow.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BNagel:
quote:

That's from the muzzle -- wrong way for a bolt gun.

Using a case (with extended tube) is for cleaning from the chamber.Check the pic. The top one is Sinclair, center is MTM and the lower one is the 404 case with aluminium tube.

Von Gruff.

Von Gruff.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
While i like the lucas style, it is not the easiest to use. Do you need the rod bushing? I think it is overkill. Possum Hollow has made that style guide for years, call Russ Haydon @253-857-7557 he keeps the most popular sizes on hand......Also Possum Hollow has a 100% gaurentee and gives you free "o"rings. If you think Mikes are better than mine I wonder if you have tried mine? good shooting eric sinclair

Posts: 67 | Location: Possum Hollow, IN | Registered: 09 February 2009Reply With Quote