Find
Notify
Tools

Cleaning Chambers?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of nightwalker uk
posted
Some first hand advice on best piece of kit to clean a .243 and 7-08 chamber. OK, I have a sinclair chamber clean kit but want some advice a good bit of kit for "mopping" out chamber after using chamber brush. Have heard about using a .410 chamber mop, is it any good?

I currently use a bit of cloth around a chamber brush but its not ideal

Reasons....1 - the cloth gets pushed to the back of the chamber, 2 - the "twirl" of brass at the end of the brush has the potential to damage the leade of the barrel, 3 - will a .410 mop fit or rifle /chamber rod fittings?

Cheers!

Posts: 418 | Location: Derbyshire, England | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nightwalker uk:
Some first hand advice on best piece of kit to clean a .243 and 7-08 chamber. OK, I have a sinclair chamber clean kit but want some advice a good bit of kit for "mopping" out chamber after using chamber brush. Have heard about using a .410 chamber mop, is it any good?

I currently use a bit of cloth around a chamber brush but its not ideal

Reasons....1 - the cloth gets pushed to the back of the chamber, 2 - the "twirl" of brass at the end of the brush has the potential to damage the leade of the barrel, 3 - will a .410 mop fit or rifle /chamber rod fittings?

Cheers!

Why not try a .40-.45 bore mop? The threads should fit your rifle rod (8-32 male thread).

Cheers, Don

Posts: 49226 | Registered: 21 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
Just saw you are in England, may not find what I use.
At gun shows there's some guy selling, gun parts, bore swabs, bore brushes, cleaning patches, nylon, brass stainless steel brushes, most anything needed to maintain firearms.
He usually has some brushes with a twisted wire shank that can be bent to clean the chamber of a semi auto, pump or lever action. I'll buy a dozen of the size larger then a 308 case. This size works on all my rifles and my 1911 Colts.
When they get worn I can use them a chamber brushes for the 357s or wrap a patch around them and swamp out the chamber.
Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Midway UK carries the same Tipton chamber cleaning kit I use. I use a patch on a mop approapriate for the chamber size.

http://www.midwayuk.com/apps/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?SaleItemID=109658

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A slotted tip with an oversize patch is efficient and easy.You don't need anything special.Just insert into chamber and revolve rod with fingers.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I also use a 45 cal or 20 ga mop to clean oils out of the chamber.

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote