New
Find
Notify
Tools

WIPEOUT/PATCHOUT
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
WIPEOUT: Really like the stuff. Works as advertised after soaking a while. Problem is I seem to wast a ton of it when I shoot it down the barrel. Lots of foam ends up leaking out the muzzle (no the barrel is not yet full and pushing it out).

PATCHOUT: What's the story w. this stuff? As good as WIPEOUT? or really only going to ger carbon and a touch of copper?

THanks. Sean

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Have been told that WIPEOUT now comes as a liquid.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Patch-Out is Wipe-Out without the foam. When using Wipe-Out, stick a plastic drink bottle over the muzzle, then you can capture the excess, put the lid on and reuse it.

http://www.sharpshootr.com/patchout.htm

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
A lot of these foam bore cleaners have a narrow nozzle. Take a little tissue or toilet paper and roll it around the nozzle so that when you place it against or in the muzzle of your firearm, it is sealed. Prior to this, close your magazine well with tissue. This to absorb any excess. When ready, spray in one dose and do not stop until the foam comes out the receiver.Then stop!Proceed as normal, ie, your cleaning process. thumb

SUSTAINABLY HUNTING THE BLUE PLANET!
"Political language is designed to make lies sound truthful, murder respectable and to give an appearence of solidity to pure wind." Dr J A du Plessis

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It doesn't take a lot of work to apply the foam from the chamber end, I use various sizes of tubing and spouts to accomodate all of my rifles, just push the tubing in until it seals good, sometime you have to stop against the shoulder, with the bottle over the muzzle, there's no mess of loss of solvent.

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gunslick tube is easy -- love it. WIPEOUT is a PITA for me to not waste it.

I really like Gunslick but wish it was better on copper. Works great for general cleaning though. I've also found the cans last prelly well.

One of Us
Picture of Steve Latham
posted Hide Post
Wipeout, since I used this a couple years ago, have'nt looked at anything else since. Big Grin

Posts: 683 | Location: Chester UK, Home city of the Green collars. | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
Patchout is the same stuff as Wipeout. If you short stroke a patch with it in your bore the stuff foams up on the patch just like the original.
I haven`t found either to be great on carbon but they are fantastic for removing copper. I normally run a couple patches wet with Butches down my barrel to remove most of the powder fouling and patch dry. I then apply wipeout/patchout and let set. The next morning all the copper is gone and an oiled patch followed by a dry finishes up my cleaning.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The first time I used Wipeout, I had a huge mess. There was foam everywhere, in the chamber, mag. well, and out the end of the barrel.

After giving this some thought, I took a foam ear plug and melted a hole through it with a hot nail. I then shoved the plug on to the end of the plastic tube. Now the soft foam makes a good seal at the chamber end.

I give the can a good shake and push the end into the chamber until I have a good seal. Give it one shot of cleaner and just wait about 30 sec. If no foam is at the muzzle, give it a little more. The trick is to be patient and wait as the foam expands for up to 60 sec after application. When the expansion is finished, remove the tube from the chamber.

Posts: 291 | Location: Gettysburg, PA | Registered: 03 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Why can't you just close the bolt and apply from the muzzle?

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4779 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
One thing I learned about Wipe-Out

Get some tubing and apply from the chamber end.

See photos in the posts above.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4227 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use Wipeout and Patchout.

When I use the foaming Wipeout, I simply plug the chamber end of the bore with an old shotgun sized boremop on part of a segmented shotgun rod, then apply the Wipeout from the muzzle end. No mess......

Use the Accelerator!

One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
I use Wipeout and apply it to the chamber end through a bore guide. It was very messy at first and I wasted a lot. After the first can I figured it out and don't waste much at all now. Squirt it in and then I just plug the guide with my finger for a few seconds and let it sit......

Mac

Mac

Posts: 1722 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CaneCorso
posted Hide Post
Like others have mentioned, I use a clear plastic tube and snug it through the chamber side. One small squirt, wait a few seconds, another one, until just a bit comes out the muzzle. Minimal mess.

Let it set for a couple of hours or overnight, comeback and finish the cleaning.

I haven't tried the accelerator. Is that swabbed in first, then the foam?

~~~

Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
1 Corinthians 16:13

Posts: 622 | Location: CA, USA | Registered: 01 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wipe-out now has the tubing supplied when you buy it.

Posts: 1274 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada.  | Registered: 22 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How many other people have looked in the barrel using a borescope to see what this stuff actually did in the bore?

If the enemy is in range, so are you. - Infantry manual

Posts: 494 | Location: The drizzle capitol of the USA | Registered: 11 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Caution: Wipe-Out can damage some stock finishes. I use blue masking tape below the gas hole in the receiver to prevent damage.

Bore scope: I have examined my bores after using Wipe-Out, and it does a great job. Love the stuff.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ar corey:
Wipe-out now has the tubing supplied when you buy it.

The one I just got from Midway spews product even when you aren't pushing on the button. Had to revert to the Tygon tubing I was using with Gunslick. Messy stuff and I would go liquid over spray next time (for me).

2 cents

Posts: 4848 | Location: Clute, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wipeout is tricky/messy to use for the first time but once you get the hang of it (and it doesn't take long) it is easy to apply from the muzzle and does a great job!!!! If you spray foam into the muzzle it expands out through your bore guide leaving the chamber untouched. Be careful though if your gun takes a few fouling shots to shoot accurately...you may actually clean the barrel to much as I recently found outSmiler

One of Us
Picture of FOOBAR
posted Hide Post
I've used WO since it was first introduced many, many years ago. Yes, it is messy and as Craig said, you need to learn how to use it....AND...it WILL mess up some finishes so be careful.

I just use a bore guide and the black cone that used to come with it, reversed to fit into the boreguide, and/or a longer piece of hose.

I wouldn't recommend squirting it into the muzzle end, unless you take the gun out of the stock, as it mighe/will expand into the mag well, trigger, etc and cause a REAL mess.

I use PO now and the accelerator as it's the same stuff as WO and it will expand to fill the bore...ONE PASS ONLY, BORE TO MUZZLE, PULL OFF THE PATCH, THEN PULL OUT THE ROD...otherwise you will just break up the expanding foam.

PO/WO does take out carbon but Mercury outboard motor "Quick Silver" carbon remover works best...as do any other automotive carbon removers do. Those products are nastier than a psycho ex-wife and need to be used outside in a well ventilated area...WITH RUBBER GLOVES.

The question of how clean is clean and what is "too clean" will remain a very contentious subject and depends on the quality of the barrel, the way the lands/grooves are imprinted - cut, button, hammered etc., and the weapons use. Each barrel has it's own requirements and YOU have to determine that for each weapon.

I don't benchrest anymore or compete, but my varminters get special treatment during cleaning after a pre-derermined number of fired shots depending on the rifle.

All of my hunters, no matter what the caliber size produce less than 3/4" MOA but I don't clean the bores until hunting season is over...once a specific load is built and tested, I usually shoot two 3 shot groups prior to hunting season and to "season" the bore and check POI and group, do the deed, then when I am finished with that rifle, clean with PO, oil the bore and rifle and put it away.

I use 3-4 rifles...small, medium and large calibers, picked off the rack to play with for a while, "favorites", that basically get used continuously throughout the year for odds and ends, i.e., varminting, plinking, load development, futzing around...they get cleaned after 20 to 50 rounds or when the accuracy starts falling off.

WO, PO and the accelorator work very well for me and I will continue to use the products as well as several others you can find used by many benchrester, varmint and long range shooters.

Check out the Sinclair Int catalog...it has a good selection of the best of the best for cleaning products.

A rough barrel will never shoot good no matter how much you clean it but usually has a window of "good enough" accuracy that you need to figure out...and a high dollar, highly accurate barrel can be "cleaned to death" if you cleaning technique is faulty and you can work yourself into a frazzle and ruin a muzzle crown or throat jacking that cleaning rod back and forth.

Be gentle and don't go anal or postal with the cleaning.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Apparently no one......... so--here is my experience with wipe out and other wonder cleaners versus copper fouling and the borescope. (they all seem to zap the carbon fairly well)

Before we get to that I would like to say that after using wipe out on several bores, I feel that people should not be put off by others who count the foaming, expanding, action of this cleaner as waste. Remember there is a large component in that foam which is nothing but formerly compressed air; air weighs next to nothing and you have not paid for more air in wipe out than for the empty space at the top of another cleaner. That being said........

People who have told me time and again that I have no room to talk about cleaners until and unless I got a borescope and actually looked at what they were doing in the bore, used to tire me out. They acted sooooooooooo superior!!!!! Just to prove them to be jerks I got one....

They were right. Easy bore cleaning like scrubbing bubbles and get rich quick schemes are all the same--BUSH WA.
I figured that if you were a hunter and only shot 3 or 4 rounds in a hunt then took your rifle home and had time to let wipe out sit in the barrel for minutes--or hours--or days--according to the directions and how much copper fouling you had--well that was ok. I shoot mainly match rifles and clean between relays and do not have that kind of time to let chemicals sit in the barrel, so I figured the hunters might be able to get a barrel clean the easy way. Even that was wrong.

Recently, after getting the borescope, I took a Model 70 Winchester in .30-06 out of the gun safe and looked in the bore. This was a rifle that I had assumed was copper fouled and had "cleaned" with wipe out (following the directions on the can EXACTLY) until there were no traces of copper on the patches. It had only been fired 10 times in the last session, as my shoulders can no longer take the pounding they once could. To my surprise the barrel was still copper fouled. I immediately applied the wipe out again thinking that for some reason I had missed the copper traces on the patches during the last cleaning????!!!! I got a slightly blue trace after letting the foam sit in the barrel 15 minutes, but a quick look with the borescope showed copper still in the barrel. I applied Wipe out again and again followed the directions and after letting the chemical sit in the bore 24 hours the patches I ran through the bore came out as white as if washed in all temp a cheer Harold...........no copper indicated with wipe out. Looking in the barrel showed the copper still present and not just lightly present or sorta present, it was PRESENT.

A single application of Bore tech Eliminator showed heavy copper traces. I ran dry patches through until they came out white. An application of wipe out again showed white on the very first(wet) patch.

Hoppe's Elite Bore gel showed copper....again wipe out--no copper--the old standby--witches' brew (Shooter's choice and Kroil mixed 50/50) showed copper--again Wipe out did not.

A look in the bore after all that--any bets? Copper was still present.

MY CONCLUSION:
I finally went back to the other old standby that has really worked as long as I have been shooting and cleaning (over 57 years) scrubbing--elbow grease-- work-- JB bore cleaner--there is no free lunch.

I just finished repeating this experiment with the "wonder cleaners" in a different order. This time on an AR-15 and an AR-10 that were copper fouled. One was squeaky clean and shot 4 times and the other was squeaky clean and shot 10 times. You can mix up the wonder cleaners in any order you like; the results were the same. Just to be sure I took the AR10 out Friday and shot another 4 rounds--then cleaned using JB bore cleaner as per directions--no show of copper using the borescope--to be double sure I ran a wet Eliminator patch through and also got no trace.

Posts: 494 | Location: The drizzle capitol of the USA | Registered: 11 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Latham
posted Hide Post
I will carry on being fooled by wipeout thanks! Big Grin

Posts: 683 | Location: Chester UK, Home city of the Green collars. | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are not dealing with medium to heavy copper fouling, and have the time for it to sit in the barrel you are in my opinion, not being fooled.