Find
Notify
Tools

Tipton Carbon Fiber Cleaning Rods
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
FWIW,
Midway Supply has the Tipton, 1-piece Deluex Carbon Fiber Cleaning Rods on sale from $23.49 to $29.99

These work especially well in the 17's and 20's as you do not have a problem with the rod bending and deforming like a steel rod.

All I use anymore.

Best
GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Saw their flyer today and was wondering about getting one in .17 for my .17 HMR. Your posting clinched it for me. Thanks.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sir,

I reload for five different 17 cal centerfire chamberings. Started with the mach IV in the mid nineties. Steel rods suck on the smaller calibers. If you run a tight brush or patch, the small diameter steel rods bend and has a memory so to speak. The carbon fiber rods always stay straight. The rubber coated steel rods also wear. The carbon fiber does not collect particles like the rubber coated rods.
I do not think you will be disappointed.

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Oddbod
posted Hide Post
Been using these for a while now & wont go back to metal rods.

Posts: 610 | Location: Cumbria, UK | Registered: 09 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks. Been needing a new rod in .17

Posts: 10017 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wait till one shatters on you and you impale yourself.
Butch

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Butch, that is a definate possibility. Been using them for several years. Had a tip break off once, but it never shattered. I like to live dangerously, so I'll prolly keep using mine.

GWB

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
Wait till one shatters on you and you impale yourself.
Butch

... and never stand by the window while the kids are outside playing ball ...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've used the Tipton CF rods for about 6 years now and have never had a problem. Of course I don't abuse it and don't try to force it through in such a manner that I will potentially shatter it.

Posts: 129 | Location: Birmingham, AL | Registered: 04 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Been using the Tipton rods exclusively in everything from .22-.458 rifles and revolvers up to .500 for at least a dozen years. No problems and I think they're the best rod I've ever used in over 50 years of cleaning firearms.

Oh, and I NEVER run with scissors! holycow

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've never had a wreck in my car either and I've been driving 52 years.
Butch

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lord Luv ya' Butch,

Please don't drive off in a ditch or over an embankment in order to prove it can/will happen, just to prove a point to us slobs here. dancing

Best

GWB

One of Us
posted Hide Post
GWB,
I personally know of 2 guys that had a similar problem with the Tipton's.
I use stainless uncoated rods.
Butch

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Be sure to give your rifles some hugs for me! dancing

GWB

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
GWB,
Butch

I know a guy who had the same experience with the Tipton.

Butch, what brand of bore guide do you prefer with the stainless rods???

"The right to bear arms" insures your right to freedom, free speech, religion, your choice of doctors, etc. ....etc. ....etc....
-----------------------------------one trillion seconds = 31,709 years-------------------

Posts: 1521 | Location: Just about anywhere in Texas | Registered: 26 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
GWB,
Butch

Butch,

It's been a hell of a day. I've pissed off a my wife,

I've been called a shithead here on the small cal. forums cause I answered a question in the way a fellow disagreed with,

I had another fellow on another forum git pissed because I invoked "murphy's law",

So, since you're a fellow Texan and you are one of my AR "hero's", I wanted to make sure you knew that I was not making light of your advice
However, in regards to stainless vs. carbon fiber cleaning rods. It's just that I have always been an iconoclast.
Hope you understand and will make allowances in my case.

GWB

PS: I have my own pair of forceps and needle nose pliers. I have impaled myself on several occasions and have been able to use scalpel or knife, open the wound, pull out the offending piece of metal or timber, and suture the wound.
I can definitely relate to old Ben F, when he says, a stitch in time, saves nine.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
GWB,
No offense taken. I use TK Nolans Barrel Saver rod guides.
Butch