Find
Notify
Tools

Two cleaning questions???
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of TrackersNZ
posted
1/. Is there a system or common method for cleaning the breach/chamber of centerfire rifles. e.g. some sort of shaped brush. What sort of product would you use?

2/. After you have cleaned your barrel. (Overcleaned your barrel.) How many shots should you allow before before fouling restores consistant accuracy. 1,2,3,5???

...."At some point in every man's life he should own a Sako rifle and a John Deere tractor....it just doesn't get any better...."

Posts: 630 | Location: Hawera, Taranaki, New Zealand | Registered: 17 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ad1) Sinclair has a tool which holds cotton rolls. They are used in a 90 degree position to the barrel. Depending on the size of the breech youi need to shorten them a bit. It's definetely not perfect, but I haven't found anything better yet. Maybe pressurized air would be the perfect solution. But I don't have this at home. Also my girl friend would be in danger of taking it for the hair dryer ....

ad2) There really is no definetive answer to that. Some barrels may take up to 5 shots, some don't need any at all.

One of Us
Picture of Boss Hoss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by McFox:
ad1) Sinclair has a tool which holds cotton rolls. They are used in a 90 degree position to the barrel. Depending on the size of the breech youi need to shorten them a bit. It's definetely not perfect, but I haven't found anything better yet. Maybe pressurized air would be the perfect solution. But I don't have this at home. Also my girl friend would be in danger of taking it for the hair dryer ....

ad2) There really is no definetive answer to that. Some barrels may take up to 5 shots, some don't need any at all.

I love the Sinclair tool that takes the cotton rolls and gets into the Lug area!!!

Posts: 1004 | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use shotgun brushes with patches (or a suitable rag) wrapped around them.
That's what I meant to say.

It will vary with different rifles. Fire your first round at the target and then fire your second round at the first bullet hole.(you don't have to hit it but if you're shooting targets at 100 yards, it's nice) Shoot several rounds at the first bullet hole and see which one was the one where the group moved and stabilized. If you don't actually "need" any fouling shots, cherish that rifle. Smiler

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
After I get done with the barrel I use a .410 shotgun mop to get the crud from my chamber.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use the Sinclair tool to clean locking lug recesses and a shotgun swab of .410 or 28 ga. to clean the chamber.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep, I use shotgun or large mop for chamber too

Posts: 1845 | Registered: 01 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A more versatile tool than a mop for chamber cleaning is a nylon brush wrapped in toilet paper.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
http://www.deweyrods.com/cgi-b...&pg=cat&ref=bolt_lug

If the enemy is in range, so are you. - Infantry manual

Posts: 494 | Location: The drizzle capitol of the USA | Registered: 11 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RaySendero
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TrackersNZ:
1. Is there a system or common method for cleaning the breach/chamber of centerfire rifles. e.g. some sort of shaped brush. What sort of product would you use?

I use a .45 caliber brush and jag with a pistol rod.

quote:
Originally posted by TrackersNZ:
2. After you have cleaned your barrel. (Overcleaned your barrel.) How many shots should you allow before before fouling restores consistant accuracy. 1,2,3,5???

The rifle will tell ya. All of mine are good after 1 shot - One rifle doesn't need any.

________
Ray

Posts: 1786 | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TrackersNZ
posted Hide Post

NOW WE"RE TALKIN'

tu2

...."At some point in every man's life he should own a Sako rifle and a John Deere tractor....it just doesn't get any better...."

Posts: 630 | Location: Hawera, Taranaki, New Zealand | Registered: 17 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by McFox:
A more versatile tool than a mop for chamber cleaning is a nylon brush wrapped in toilet paper.

+1

Posts: 1459 | Location: north-west Italy | Registered: 16 April 2002Reply With Quote