Find
Notify
Tools

Damascus barrels
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted
Not sure if this is classified as cleaning, more like restoring but I have an old sxs 12 ga. hammer gun that I want to clean up for a wall hanger.
Unfortunately mice got into the box it was in and the urine has made parts of the barrel rust badly...whats the best way to clean them up without destroying the look of the Damascus barrels?

Roger

Posts: 1034 | Location: Was NSW, now Tas Australia | Registered: 27 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
With a little judicious rubbing, WD40 and fine steel wool removes rust on blued and silver nitride surfaces without affecting the finishes so should be fine for Damascus steel. Just use a wiping action rather than hard rubbing in one place and just use plain steel wool, not the harder stainless steel wool.

Posts: 3848 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 698 | Location: South Pacific NW | Registered: 09 January 2021Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Can you tell if the steel was originally browned or rust blued? If it was browned, scald with boiling water to neutralize the acids in the mouse urine. Then card with the metal cleaning pad. If it was rust blued, boil or steam it for 20 minutes. Then card.
quote:
Originally posted by yumastepside:
Not sure if this is classified as cleaning, more like restoring but I have an old sxs 12 ga. hammer gun that I want to clean up for a wall hanger.
Unfortunately mice got into the box it was in and the urine has made parts of the barrel rust badly...whats the best way to clean them up without destroying the look of the Damascus barrels?

Roger

Posts: 3672 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote