New
Find
Notify
Tools

"When to clean?" test
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
JB will sure work on the carbon fouling, I use it once or twice a year on everything. The container I have is probably 20 years old. Just in case anyone takes shootaway seriously, some rifles will put the first shot in the group from clean barrel. Probably more of them will not. This is not something I read in a book, but from personal experience from a lot of shooting.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In response to Hot Core's 7/18:

When on safari, you are responsible for your firearms. Believe me, you would not want to trust a decent rifle to the average tracker or camp boy. The number of rounds will vary from sighters plus one, to many. My record was 38, which included several for bait.

Very few rifles will require bore cleaning on safari. That is, almost all will hold zero without cleaning to at least 50 rounds. Many will go hundreds. Exceptionally low dispersion is very seldom required in safari hunting. Crocodile is one of those exceptions.

People get all worked up about super accuracy. On safari the important rifle requirements are: reliability of feeding and extraction, reliable shot placement (solids sighting devices), etc.

Please don't say you're not likely to go to Africa. I think it was Jack O'connor who wrote about a mailman in Idaho who went to Africa every other year. In order to do so, he built and sold a house every two years. Where there is a will there's a way, and it is cheaper now than in O'Connor's day.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the insight about the Rifles on Safari. I also posted the question on the African Board and got a bunch of responses similar to what you just said.

Best of luck on your Safari!

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Brice,DISPERSION IS DISPERSION.Also,you either have an ACCURATE rifle or you don't.Your rifle should shoot to its POTENTIAL.[URL= ]IN ACTION[/URL]

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote