New
Find
Notify
Tools

What brake?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Muzzle brake? A lot here mention using brake cleaner somewhere on rifles. I've never done it.

But if you all are meaning car (um automobile) brakes, well I've never cleaned my vehicle's brakes either. Have you all got dirty roads or what? Salt on the ice thing??? So whats the stuff supposed to remove on brakes??

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Because a muzzle brake redirects the expansion gases radially outward from the muzzle rather than forward, the inside of the brake will accumulate carbon deposits. I clean my Shrewd only when it needs it. My brake matches the contour of my barrel, and I do not want to be constantly removing it and screwing it back on. I am concerned the threads may become sloppy or I might generate a small wire edge where the brake meets the barrel. So I leave it on and only remove it when I really must to get it clean inside.

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've been off the air for a few days due to a new Notebook,Vista,Telstra,modems, etc.

I try to learn something with wit (about a half), and this is it?? Roll Eyes

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would not get brake cleaner anywhere near the finish on a rifle's stock. Brake cleaner is a powerful solvent (1-1-1 trichloroethylene) and might very well eat right through the finish. Keep the two well separated...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
OK, but what does the stuff do for it's intended application, which is I presume, vehicle brakes????????????????

One needs to know that before thinking of using it in barrels. I think it's suggested for carbon removal??????????????

One of Us
posted Hide Post
In its intended application to wit: the cleaning of vehicle brakes, brake cleaner will degrease and remove asbestos and carbon fiber dust that is accumulated on the brake fixtures. It may also remove built up road grime which may include tar and/or asphalt.

Basically it is a powerful degreaser that evaporates and leaves little or no residue.

Posts: 78 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: 10 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Works great for cleaning triggers of accumulated grease, excess oil, and dirt. Usually the trigger is better (and safer) after cleaning.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks fellers, I'm now a little wiser. Don't think I'll ad any to the Ed's red mix though. Wink