New
Find
Notify
Tools

Russ Broom for Buffalo
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Did anyone hunt with Russ Broom for buffalo last year? How was it (camp, number and size of of animals)? Where did you hunt?

Posts: 281 | Location: southern Wisconsin | Registered: 26 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wihntr:

PM dougaboy, if I'm not mistaken he hunted with Russ Broom this past Aug/Sept for elephant and has hunted with him before. He may be able to give you some insight.

Good luck.

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
SCI

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Karl S
posted Hide Post
wihntr, here is an interesting bull we shot in Russ's Binga concession last year. The hunter is a South African that were looking for a bull with caracter.
Go ahead and book with Russ. He is one of the best guys in Zim. You are welcome to PM me for more buff shot there, or more info if you like. I will be in Russ's hunting area from Monday of the coming week.

Karl Stumpfe
Ndumo Hunting Safaris www.huntingsafaris.net
karl@huntingsafaris.net
P.O. Box 1667, Katima Mulilo, Namibia
Cell: +264 81 1285 416
Fax: +264 61 254 328
Sat. phone: +88 163 166 9264

Posts: 1333 | Location: Namibia, Caprivi | Registered: 11 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Wow, I like that bull and would have shot him in a second.... neat trophy!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7532 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
That is cool. Not something you see every day.

Thanks for posting,
FB

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Personally, I would have let him walk. I prefer the classic look.

Posts: 13782 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cool bull..........I'd HAMMER'ed him in a second.

DRSS

Posts: 122 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 15 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
I hunted with Rory Muil last May. It was VERY thick, and dispite the fact that we were into buff several times every day, I shot mine the last hour of the last day. Other than doing it later in the season, I would hunt with him again in a minute.

My buddie shot his buff the first morning, FWIW.

We stayed in Songo camp. Very nice, overlooking a pond. Lots of wildlife frequenting the pond, including a bunch of noisy elephants.

-Steve

--------

www.zonedar.com

If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning
DRSS C&H 475 NE
--------

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
wihntr,

I was in Russ' Kabuba camp for 14 days during the first half of last September. I mostly hunted the Muchesu area. There were very few buffalo and lots of people. The only buffalo that we saw were a group of 5 dugga boys on the 6th day (I shot mine out of that group).

We saw a few elephants, but in 14 days did not see one track that the PHs wanted to go after.

I would be very careful about where I hunted. I don't know about his other camps, but I would not go back to Kabuba. The locals are taking over the hunting areas.

Gunny also hunted with him last year and, I believe, is headed back this year. He should be able to give you a good idea about other areas.

Feel free to PM me or call me if you want to discuss this further.

Doug
817-296-4089

Posts: 280 | Location: Ft. Worth, TX | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dougaboy,

You have a PM.

Posts: 281 | Location: southern Wisconsin | Registered: 26 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigB
posted Hide Post
We took a 47 inch, a 38 inch and a 37 inch buffalo out of Kabuba camp in 2002. I have not been back since. Took nice buffalo out of Songo camp in 2004. Going back this year I think out of Songo for leopard.

Lot of people at Kabuba in 2002 so guess more now.

BigB

Posts: 1401 | Location: Northwest Wyoming | Registered: 13 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
BigB,

I was told that the change in game poulation over the last few years has been dramatic. It is such a shame, the area is really beautiful.

Doug

Posts: 280 | Location: Ft. Worth, TX | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
I hunted out of Kabuba camp right after BigB in '02. We took 3 buffalo in 6 days, 2 the first day. We saw some nice elephant too but not much for PG.

I was back in '04 but we hunted out of Chizirira (sp?) and Sangwa camps.

Kyler

Posts: 2504 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kyler,
What was your '04 hunt like?

one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
It was strictly designed as an elephant hunt so it was really early (April). We saw quite a few elephants but not much else. We only cut buffalo tracks and PG tracks a couple times but Rory mentioned the other game should come into the area later in the season.
Toward the end of the safari we had one leopard working a bait but the plane came before the leopard came back.

I remember walking along a ridge the first afternoon of the hunt and Rory mentioned that Terry Carr had taken his elephant in that spot. So he should have some input as well.

The camp was fine. We were specifically hunting crop fields to find big tracks so we were purposely going through villages. The number of people may have been off-putting to some but I thought it was interesting.

Out of the Sangwa camp we saw very few, if any, people and lots more plains game. I took a bushbuck and waterbuck out of that camp and saw plenty of impala and warthogs.

From what I understand that part of the escarpment has never been a great PG destination.

Hope that helps.

Kyler

Posts: 2504 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ive hunted with RBS five times for buffalo. Have killed six big bulls with the largest being 45 inches. Also killed seven elephant, a super black maned lion , leopard , and a host of plains game. The lion and the elephant bull came from Kabuba. Some of the biggest leopard in africa come out of that area. Plains game has suffered throughout the years but Russ had a client shoot a eighty pound elephant while staying in Kabuba camp in 2004. If you are hunting for plains game dont go there but if your going for buffalo, elephant or leopard its as good as any tribal area in Zimbabwe. Our first trip there was in 94 and our last trip was 06. Our next trip is 08.Last year I could have shot a decent buffalo on six or seven occasions but held out for two great ones after two tracking jobs on both. Ive seen lions on three out of the five trips with RBS but I think that was mostly luck.