New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wrong Forum
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I know this may not be the "correct" forum to pose this question, but it is very well attended and there are obviously quite a few people on this forum that know a lot about guns, so here is the question.

I have a Winchester Model 36 shotgun. It is a single shot bolt action, that fires a rimfire 9mm metal shotshell. It was left to me by my great grandfather and was wondering if anyone knew anything about it. I would never sell it but it would be interesting to know it's value, it's intended use, when it was produced, etc.

Thanks for the help.
Brandon

Posts: 176 | Location: Tulsa, OK | Registered: 17 December 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Brandon,

I can answer one of your quesion.

We had quite a number of these guns made in Germany. And we used them to shoot birds with.

They do not have that much a of range, but came in very handy when we used to go to the raddish and tomato farms to shoot all sorts of birds. Like starlings, doves and the like. One never got worried about the shot going very far.

Posts: 66982 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 9mm Flobert Doppelschrot (there also exists a short "ball" variety of the same cartridge) is still made in Germany by RWS (nowadays part of RUAG).
Such guns were formerly called "Gartenflinten"; they were used to dispatch rodents, small critters, birds at close ranges (up to 15 metres, I would say). Shooting with the ball cartridge (either with a round ball or a conical bullet) is definitely inaccurate due to the smoothbored barrel.

Regards,
Carcano

Posts: 2452 | Location: Old Europe | Registered: 23 June 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
From The Blue Book of Gun Values, in regards to the Model 36 Winchester: "Approx, 20,000 mfg. between 1920-1927." One in 100% condition is worth $550. One in 70% condition is worth $225.

Posts: 21 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 January 2003Reply With Quote