Find
Notify
Tools

KumKum Safaris in Namibia
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted
Run by Willem F. Mans, does anyone have a first hand reference on this outfit? Any reliable info would be appreciated.
Thanks
Brad

one of us
posted Hide Post
Brad, I hunted with these guys about 8 years (or so) ago. The farm sits right on the Orange river, and has quite a bit of hilly country. It is lovely country to hunt on foot (too much Cruiser hunting in Africa), but bring solid footwear if this is in your plans. The hills largely seem to consist of loose stones (about the size of a hand) and makes for treacherous walking if your footwear does not provide good support. It is well worth getting out there, though, as you can find any number of species in those hills - Gemsbock, Zebra, Kudu, you name it.

Another claim to fame for KumKum, is that they can produce very decent sized Springbock, both on the main farm and on neighboring properties. The Kudu come and go as they please - regardless of fences. There is often leopard on the farm, but I have a feeling they are hard to hunt, as they are considered a nuisance.

A specialty of Kumkum is the Klipspringer population. You find Klipspringers in much of Africa, but I have rarely encountered a place where you can actually pick and choose as you can on KumKum. This should be a good place if you are interested in this little antelope, but bring a gun or a load which will not blow the hair right off them - possibly a large caliber solid.

Accommodation and food were very satisfactory, not exactly luxurious but solid farm-style. Prices were (if memory serves) rather modest.

All in all, quite a unique corner of Namibia and well worth experiencing.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
Mike,
Check your pm's

one of us
posted Hide Post
Saw it. Responded.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hunted with them in 2004 after meeting them in Reno.I will agree about the springbok was above average and the klipspringers are all over the place but no bargain in cost.Kudu Mt zebra and gemsbuck are average.Their prices are very reasonable and Willem and his wife are good host.Their place is close to the orange river and we did do some fishing.

Posts: 370 | Location: northcentral mt | Registered: 25 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
great bewildered report

fat chicks inc.

Posts: 475 | Location: Belgien | Registered: 01 August 2009Reply With Quote