Notify
Tools

Dande South June 2011
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Bwanna
posted
Dates: June 10, 2011 – June 23, 2011
Areas: Dande South, Zimbabwe (before and after fishing with Chifuti Safaris in the Tafika Fishing Camp)
Outfitter: Swainson's Safaris initially with Jules Merideth and HHK after transfer of the Dande South area to their control. Fishing stay at Tafika arranged with Chifuti at the Tafika Camp.
Professional Hunter: Dean Kendall
Travel Agent: Self for Vegas to Joberg and Steve Turner, Travel With Guns from Joberg to Harare
Trophies Taken: 2 Buffalo, grysbuck, African Wildcat
Rifle Used: Chapuis 470 NE, borrowed Brno .22 and borrowed Mossberg 12ga. (Custom .375 Model 70 taken but not fired other than at the range)

This hunt was initially booked with Jules Meredith from the AR hunts offered web page. It was intriguing to Use Enough Gun and I as it was offered as a two buffalo hunt - which is an unusual animal in the Zimbabwe hunting scene. After we booked it, Swainson's sold the area and the quota to HHK and we were initially concerned that our deal (including that we could shoot sable at no additional daily rate) would not be honored. Jules assured us that it would, and I can't say enough about the integrity of both the Swainson's and HHK in making sure the change was seamless. In fact, Jules stayed involved through the entire process - including meeting us both ways at the Harare Airport - to make sure all was well. Thanks so much, Jules.

I had hunted the Dande North area with Chifuti in 2008 and had a wonderful time. At the outset of that hunt, we flew in to the Tafika fishing camp and decompressed for a day before taking a boat down river about 65 km to the Masau camp and then traveling inland to the Pasa Pedza camp. I thought that was a wonderful opening to any hunt, as it allowed time for relaxing and unwinding after the grind across the pond. I highly recommend it. So for this trip, I inquired if a similar situation may be possible. Jules made the arrangements with Chifuti and we planned accordingly.

We flew through Joberg and over-nighted at Afton House before traveling on to Harare. We were met at the Harare airport by Giles Reynor who charted us into the Tafika camp. I believed in 2008 and continue to believe that the Tafika Camp is a slice of heaven on earth. For those who have not experienced it - get there now! On second thought, stay the heck away so there's more for the rest of us!

Despite the fact the water in the Zambezi was incredibly high, we were very able to catch some very nice tiger fish the following morning (we were skunked the night we arrived). I really wouldn't care if we caught fish or not, the experience of being on the river and the game viewing is worth the trip. I make no excuses for my lack-luster enthusiasm for fishing, but even for me, the time spent on the Zambezi was wonderful.

Sunset on the Zambezi

Bwanna with tiger (of the Zambezi variety)

Use Enough Gun and Bwanna with tigers

The following morning we were transported by Joseph (our Tafika fishing guide) 70 km down the Zambezi to nearly the Mozambique boarder. The water in the river was ridiculously high, and there were no sand bars at the Tafika area. Because of that, we didn't see any crocs there and very few hippo. However, on the trip downriver we saw may of both, as the river gave way to more areas for sunning and feeding. We also saw bushbuck, elephant, waterbuck, eland, kudu, warthog, baboon, impala. I would recommend this trip to any traveler into the Zambezi valley.

High Water

Young Bull

Use Enough Gun and Joseph on trip down Zambezi

Masau Camp where I stayed in 2008 hunting hippo and croc. Under water from heavy rains and outlet from Lake Kariba

We were picked up by the camp manager for the Murara camp and driven inland to begin the hunt. The drive was much longer than I expected and UEG and I ended up taking turns sitting on a cooler in back of the cruiser as opposed to the passenger seat up front. In the end the whole thing was worth it, as we saw a bunch of neat country and had another adventure.

We arrived at the Murara camp about 61/2 hours later; after a couple of stops to round up the game scouts for the hunts from the local villages. we met Lance Nesbitt and Dean Kendall. I was to hunt with Dean and Use Enough Gun was to hunt with Lance. We immediately discovered how much fun we were about to have, as both were very good company. They are childhood friends and have stayed close ever since and have many good (and incriminating) stories to tell on one another. The result was the most fun I've had around any African campfire on any hunt. I highly recommend these two PH's, both in terms of hunting ability and entertainment as well.

Murara Dinning Room

Chalet at Murara

Firepit and dining room at Murara

Murara Public Restroom

We sighted in the guns the next morning (UEG saw a leopard right out of camp - but we later learned it was "Lucy" a female leopard which had been a camp "pet" for about 7 years. Bait was hung for her in a nearby tree and she'd come in to feed while the rest of us were having a more sophisticated dinner.)

The buffalo hunting was difficult because the grass was crazy thick. Tracking in some areas was nearly impossible. We had gone for two buffalo a piece, and at the end of day 7 I had yet to pull the trigger. Several times we were either on dugga bull tracks that disappeared into the matted grass, or the tracks we were following eventually crossed the Anguwa River into either the Chewore South or Dande North areas. We concentrated for several days on two dugga bulls that were sneaky as all get out.

I was jealous one night when Vaughn and Lance returned to camp and Vaughn informed me that in frustration with the grass, they had set several brush fires. To a kid from the West like me, brush fire is most definitely not a positive term. To the African hunting community brush fire means easier tracking and more game spotted. Dean and I gladly joined in the burning the next day when one of the dugga bulls gave us the slip in the grass yet again.

Setting Fire to the Grass

Fortunately, on day 8 we were able to cut the tracks of a large herd of buffalo crossing the road into an area where the grass was not so ridiculous. The herd was large and lots of eyes made it difficult to get into position on any single shooter bull. We dogged them for several hours before finding a way to get to within 41 yards of a nice old dugga bull. I hit him through the top of the heart with the right barrel of the Chapuis .470 and a Barnes TSX. As he and the rest of the herd spun around to run, Dean said "shoot him again" and I hit him from behind with the left barrel and a Barnes Banded solid. Surprisingly, the second shot poleaxed him and he when down hard between two mopane trees. We quickly ran around and put in an insurance shot, but be never moved from that position.

First Buff

First buff with Dean Kendall
Our plan had been to get this bull and then get back on the herd after allowing some cooling off time and try to shoot another. We had only waited about 10 minutes and when the trackers and driver took off to find the cruiser, they ran into a large section of the now-fractioned herd. They came back for us, and we got on them immediately. The herd was not overly spooked by the shooting, but we were unable to get into position on another nice bull that evening. Eventually, we decided to leave the herd and complete the recovery of the dugga bull. We assumed with a GPS coordinate we'd be able to locate the herd in the morning for another go.

Unfortunately, on Day 9 the herd, as so many others had throughout the hunt, had left the area and crossed the Anguwa River into the Chewore South area. We hunted around for a pne dugga bull without success and spent the afternoon delivering 100 pounds of school supplies my 16 year old daughter had collected as a church project to the Musaka Primary School. What a wonderful experience that was! The school has 377 students and very little if any supplies.

Unloading the School Supplies

The Children danced to show their appreciation

School Building

Typical Classroom

Just before dark we returned to the Anguwa in the hopes that we would catch some buffalo crossing back into the Dande South area. While we were unsuccessful in that, after dark we could hear buffalo on the Anguwa river bank, but on the Chewore side. We hoped they would cross back into the Dande South area in the night. To our delight we were able to find tracks of them doing just that - and in nearly the same location as the prior herd. I was optimistic that we would be able to get on a bull. The wind swirled on us over and over, giving us away to at least a section of the large herd. Finally, we determed, after about 2 1/2 miles of cat and mouse with them, that we would need to get around them and onto the other side, where we hoped the wind would be more consistently in our faces. We paralleled the herd as it was walking quickly back toward the river. When we thought we were far enough ahead to cut across, we moved in front. We must have miscalculated the speed or length of the herd, because as we climbed a small hill, we heard a bellow in front of us and on the top of a small rise. We were pinned with nothing to do but hope there was a decent bull leading the herd and that we could get a shot before they saw us a spooked. 3 bulls and several cows were in the lead. we dismissed the two smaller bulls quickly at about 35 yards; but the one in the middle had all of our attention. Dean whispered, "shoot that one in the middle right in the chest." I held the front bead right on the junction of the neck and chest as he faced us and let fly with a Barnes TSX from the right barrel. There was no time for the left as they whirled and ran, as one of the smaller bulls tucked in behind him.

We nervously waited about 5 minutes with Dean saying, don't push them as he might stay with the herd if we do. We heard no distinctive bellow, and I was starting to sweat losing this nice bull. I was relieved when we walked further up and over the hill to see him standing in the bottom of a ravine alone and quartering toward us. I let him have a solid from the right and a second solid from the left. I yelled to York (the appy PH) and Dean to let him have it and both cut loose with 2 .458 rounds. The bull kept going down the wash and out of sight. When we found him again, he was still standing and I let him have two more solids and 2 more TSX's before the melee was finally over.

This bull was incredible. I've always wanted a wide-bossed bull and this one certainly fit the bill! Shockingly, according to the GPS, after all the walking and hard hunting we'd shot this second bull only 1 mile from the first.

Second buff

Second buff

This hunt was booked off the AR hunts offered web page. At the time it was offered the area was owned and managed by Swainson's. After we booked Swainson's transferred the management and quota to HHK. Jules Meredith, who initially posted the hunt is continuing to work with HHK on the Dande South area after the transfer.

When the area was transferred, we were concerned we'd be caught in the middle and the hunt we thought we'd booked would not happen. Those fears were quickly put to rest. The HHK folks completely stood by the deal we had with Jules and provided us a wonderful hunt. I would highly recommend either HHK or the Swainson's group for a safari. Being able to communicate quickly with Jules Meredith through email has made the experience very positive.

Posts: 1667 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada | Registered: 12 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very cool! Nothing like a pair of Buff with a DR!

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwanna
posted Hide Post
...and I had been trying to get a grysbuck for 3 trips. Finally got one on the last day. Turns out he's a scrumcap! So old he had no teeth and horns are rubbed down to the nubs! I think he's a very unique trophy. Certainly, won't make Roland Ward!

I think Dean was concerned initially that I'd be dissatisfied with not having shot one with inch and a half horns. In fact, he tried to work on the game scout to let me shoot a second one (for additional trophy fee). I would likely have done that, but the game scout wouldn't hear of it. In any event, I think this old cuss is a unique trophy. I couldn't have been happier.

Scrumcap!

Posts: 1667 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada | Registered: 12 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful buff. Awaiting more details.

Posts: 1978 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Beautiful boss on that 2nd (?) buff!

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12548 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwanna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Beautiful boss on that 2nd (?) buff!

Thanks. I was completely thrilled by that. Here he is after the skinning.

One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
Super nice stuff. Like that Grys-dagga-bok. Keep the pics and stories coming.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2988 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jack D Bold
posted Hide Post
Fantastic bulls - glad your patience was rewarded.

thanks for the pics!

"You only gotta do one thing well to make it in this world" - J Joplin

Posts: 1129 | Registered: 10 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you guys had a great trip all around. COngrats on some great animals...

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Ryan very nice and congratulations. I see the double worked fine.

Mike tu2

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwanna
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mike. I told Vaughn I'd need to send you some pics. You're right, there's nothing like the iron-sighted double at close range!

One of Us
Picture of Bwanna
posted Hide Post
Okay...finally the last animal I took was a house cat ... errrr African Wild Cat. I've seen one before, but thought this was possibly a very rare opportunity. I promise you cat-lovers out there, this wasn't in the Tidy Cat when I shot it.

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
A pair of dandy buff bulls! Well done on the small stuff too! I have been lucky on grysbok but have only seen one African wildcat and didn't get a shot. How are you planning to mount him?

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7532 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Anders
posted Hide Post
A couple of unique trophies! Smiler Looking forward to the rest of the story!

Anders

Hunting and fishing DVDs from Mossing & Stubberud Media: www.jaktogfiskedvd.no

..and my blog at: http://andersmossing.blogspot.com

Posts: 1959 | Location: Norway | Registered: 19 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwanna
posted Hide Post
quote:
How are you planning to mount him?

Open for suggestions. Full body of course, but should it be in a tree, on the ground - other options?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Great safari! I would suggest that you mount the cat in a sitting position with no enviroment. You can move it about the house as you see fit. Can you imagine it on the dining room table as the company comes in to eat? You'll have a ball with that guy. Seriously I have mounted two of my leopards in that fashion and I'd never do one any other way.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12873 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of matt u
posted Hide Post
Congrats on your trophies

Very nice Bulls!

Posts: 1662 | Location: Winston,Georgia | Registered: 07 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice looking buffalo!!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4884 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Omega
posted Hide Post
great trophies! Thanks for posting the pictures.

Posts: 72 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 01 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am happy to hear that you guys had a great hunt. Lance and Dean are a pair of very experienced Zambezi Valley hands.

One of Us
Picture of Bwanna
posted Hide Post
More pictures and narrative added.

One of Us
Picture of Big Game Hunter
posted Hide Post
Two very nice buffs.

Keith O'Neal
Trophy Collectors Consultants
Po Box 3908
Oxford, AL. 36203
256-310-4424
TCChunts@gmail.com

All of your desires can be found on the other side of your fears.

Posts: 490 | Location: Oxford, AL. | Registered: 24 October 2009Reply With Quote