New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Mexico Antelope Hunt
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
During the second weekend of the New Mexico pronghorn season, my son and I made the trip west to see that part of the world. We killed two nice bucks. Here is the story.

Dates - September 16-17
Outfitter - Jim Wells, JFW Ranch Consulting
Area - between Vaughn and Santa Rosa in east-central New Mexico

Guns Used - Winchester Model 70's, one in .243 Win and the other a new Extreme Weather SS .270 Win.

Ammo - Federal .243 with 85gr TSX, Federal .270 Win with 130gr TSX

One of the best parts of the trip is knowing you are dealing with an honest guy in a good area. I booked this expedition a year ago after hearing about Jim. A call he made to me in July confirmed I booked with the right guy. He called to let me know the drought in that area this year was severe and that buck numbers were very low to none. He offered to send all of my money back with no strings attached rather than have me come out and not see any antelope or take a dink. I told him that I appreciate his honesty and that we could wait until the last minute if it was ok with him. He said his offer stands if we don't see any antelope.

With that, we went. Along the way you see some unusual sights -

An almost empty water tower -

A Cadillac Cemetary -

A guy down on his luck -

A passionate believer -

A free steak if you can eat a 72 oz monster slab of beer -

There is an excellent hotel and diner in Vaughn, something like what you used to see in the 1950's as you traveled old route 66 -

The antelope were not terribly plentiful but we saw 6 bucks that were 13" or better on the first day. We made a couple of relatively easy stalks to about 150 yards on each and made the shots. We used a head flag type decoy to get their attention and it worked. We walked behind the flag much like Jim Shockey does with his canoe paddles while hunting moose. The antelope did not run or flinch but actually walked closer to us to see the flag.

Here they are -

You can the lack of cover and grass in this area. We were lucky to be able to use the terrain to get close. The flag brought them closer.

The one that was next to the road that we did not hunt -

Overall a fun experience. We hunted about 6 hours before settling on the antelope we liked. Both were 13" or so and very representative for this area.

Jim is an honest guy and I would recommend his outfit to you.

Posts: 10191 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
seems this should be in another forum. no pronghorns in Africa.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13163 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice, looks like you and your son had a fine hunt. You outfitter did a great job..
Congrats, Butch

Posts: 558 | Location: texas | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
seems this should be in another forum. no pronghorns in Africa.

Waal, now there are! No problem. Besides, that grassland could quite easily be here in the Eastern Cape. Cool

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a fun trip. Do you have a photo of the flag decoy? I'd love to see one.
may not br Africa but they do look a little like springbucks.

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
The new number one African American Antelope.

New number two as well.

Nice.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2988 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post

That's Cadillac Ranch just west of Amarillo, Texas!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've eaten at that Diner a couple of times...pretty good and for sure nostalgic.

I guess you and your Son are dedicated Pronghorn hunters now! Two years in a row.

Posts: 41786 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by safari-lawyer:

New number two as well.

Nice.

Will,

Are you suggesting a new supspecies of speedgoat?

Come on inner circle...

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwana Bunduki:
quote:
Originally posted by safari-lawyer:

New number two as well.

Nice.

Will,

Are you suggesting a new supspecies of speedgoat?

Come on inner circle...

AND, can they be hunted with a single shot falling-block or such? Roll Eyes

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Will, tu2

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Does this mean one will be President someday?

Just Askin???

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote