ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICA HUNTING REPORT FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Hunting Reports - Africa    Namibia Family Holiday with Shona Adventures

Moderators: T.Carr
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Namibia Family Holiday with Shona Adventures
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted
DATE OF TRIP
June 2016

OUTFITTER/HOST
Shona Hunting Adventures
Johann Veldsman
Website: http://conservation-hunting.co...a-hunting-adventures
Email: hunting@shona-adventures.com

Northwestern Namibia (Outju, Etosha) & Skeleton Coast

TRAVEL AGENT
Steve Turner: www.travelwithguns.com
Email: steve@travelwithguns.com

TRIP SUMMARY
After more than a few trips to Africa, including with my two sons, I was finally able to make this happen. Namibia is a wonderful destination for site seeing, with lots of activities and excitement to keep everybody happy. I have been plotting this for years, and per a report a few years ago called “The Honeymoon Safari”, I knew Johan Veldsman would be a great choice to help pull it all together.

While not a “hunting trip” I booked this “adventure vacation” with a hunting outfitter for multiple reasons, including my desire to give my wife and daughter the same sort of experience that I have been enjoying for all these years. It couldn’t have worked out any better, and Johann and the camp managers (Ilouwna and Joshua) were terrific hosts.

We flew Lufthansa, and our holiday started with a day’s layover in Munich to visit family. From the airport we hopped on the S8 and took the train into Marienplatz. I always marvel at the precision of the Germans, everything is so well thought out and easy to navigate. After a nice lunch and some catching up (and promises to return), we completed our voyage to Windhoek where Johann was waiting to meet us.

Rather than drive straight from Windhoek to Johann’s farm as was originally planned, we overnighted in a guest lodge (Etotongwe Lodge) along the way. This worked out good, and I would do this again, as we got a decent night’s sleep and arrived at the farm fresh and ready to go the next day. It was really great to watch the girls react to their first sightings of African game, including an oryx that was running alongside the truck and for some reason lost his footing and did an end-over-end roll (which Sophie got on her iPhone).

Johann’s farm (Tauluka), which is ~25,000 acres in size, served as home base. The accommodations are spectacular, as is the setting on the bank of a dry/seasonal river, huts nestled into granite boulders on the side of a scenic mountain. We spent the first few days “in the bush”, including game drives, safari walks, zebra tracking and enjoying the time around the lodge. There were quite a few critters, including a willing hunting companion (Savannah), a dachshund (Sophie), a tame rock rabbit, and a bird that walks around and talks which would otherwise have been the hit of the party had it not been for the other cool creatures.

The drive to Etosha is only a few hours, and leaving early in the morning we had the better part of the afternoon and evening to drive around the park. We stayed two nights at a very nice camp (Dolomite) set high on a granite mountain top. Our hut was second from the top and offered breathtaking views, including of the water hole below. Most people were just passing through staying only a night before visiting another lodge within the park. The guests were friendly, and all in good spirits.

Etosha is an amazing place with incredible amount of game...and very few visitors. We drove from water hole to water hole, spending time at each, most often being the only people there for as long as we wished to stay.

The girls loved watching the elephants, especially the babies playing in the water and with each other. The warthogs and baboons were also big hits, and we have lots of good video on the iPhones. I enjoyed watching the different species interact, especially when a herd of elephant showed up at the water, there is no doubt who is in charge, and even the babies get in on the action. Lion are also cool, as although they basically just lay around, it is fun to watch the other animals lock-up when they realize there are lion at the water hole. There was one excited and thirsty ostrich who got a bit too close, and froze in place, head swiveled around, for at least 10 minutes.

The elephant are very docile, except for one cow with a calf who put on quite a show for the girls complete with trumpeting, dust kicking, trunk waving and mock charging. It was good, and I think they can sort of understand the thrill I get out of it now.

There was also quite a few discussions during the trip and afterwards, about the roll that hunting plays in conservation. I have been preaching this for years, but I guess until you actually experience it, it cannot be fully understood or appreciated. Something else very interesting was the unsolicited comments from the girls that although Etosha was incredible, it felt like we were just visiting, whereas the time spent on foot walking and tracking zebra was far more engaging and exciting. Exactly.

From Etosha, we went back to Taluka and decided each evening what the activates would be for the following day. We took day trips to the local attractions, most of which are close enough (close being relative in Namibia!) to be combined in order to make the most out of the time available. The pictures and timeline below pretty much document what we did, and there is a ton of information available on the Internet (including TripAdvisor), just do a Google search.

Night drives were fun, albeit a bit cold on the back of the truck. We are still talking about the hilarious warthog that backed down his den, head sticking out, just a few feet from the truck. And the entertaining aardvark buzzing around in search of ants. Johann and the guys put together a few really nice bush dinners, complete with excessive amounts of food, mopane fires, calling jackals, cooling air, and the Southern Cross in all its glory. The night sky of the southern hemisphere is something else that needs to be experienced to be fully appreciated.

The two week holiday ended with a few days along the Skeleton Coast. The drive through the Namib Desert to the coast is surreal (Mad Max Fury Road like…which was filmed here), especially when approaching the coastline and going from desert sun into eerie thick fog. There is a lot to see and do, and all of it fun. Each of the three main towns has its own flair. If in Swakopmund, might I humbly suggest the calamari at the Anchors at the Jetty...it is amazing.

Quad riding is great, and the Afrikaans gentleman who took us on the tour did a wonderful job of describing the desert ecosystem, as well as spending a lot of time at "archeological finds” which is right up my alley. The shifting dunes cover and uncover ancient relics, with the most interesting being old tools and footprints. I don’t know the exact age of the site, but “2500-5000 years ago” was mentioned. The elephant footprint below was quite large. I think I followed some elephant spoor with Buzz that was this old haha!

Next time, I will spend another day shark fishing. What a bleeping blast! The power of these creatures is unreal, and I soon learned that I was not going to “muscle” them in to shore like I thought I could. There is technique involved, and some patience required. The first one was a bit of a fire drill, but the second shark I hooked, brought in, and released. As soon as he swam away, I couldn’t wait to get another bait in the water…it is that addicting!

The girls did great, and caught some nice eating fish. Something else that comes up often, per one of the pictures below, is my “battle” with what turned out to be a very small fish. It was the first one hooked, and having never fought the current before, I thought I had a whopper. They laughed until they cried when I pulled Moby out of the surf. It needs to be mentioned, however, that Moby was the bait that got us our first Spotted Gully Shark!

The flight home was long, and we found the airport in Frankfurt to pale in comparison to the one in Munich. But we made it back to Dulles, as did our luggage, without incident. The girls and I talk about this trip all the time, and I see now what a profound impact Africa has on a person, and why she keeps calling me back.

Munich, Germany

Tualuka Safari Lodge

Tracking Mountain Zebra

Travel to Etosha

Dolomite Camp, Etosha

Back to Tualuka Safari Lodge

Himba Village

Cheetah Farm

Petrified Forest (Damaraland)

Welwitschia Desert Plant

Twyfelfontein Rock Engravings

Namib Desert Gravel Plains & Mountain Outcrops

Surf Fishing Along the Skeleton Coast (Henties Bay) for Shark, Kob & Galjoen

Dune Riding & Desert Exploration (Swakopmund)

Ancient Human and Elephant Footprints

Burial Grounds

Ancient Stone Tool & Ivory Knife

Camel Ride & Touring Swakopmund

Zelia Shipwreck (Henties Bay)

CLOSING
I hope you enjoyed the pictures. If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to post them or PM/email me. It was truly a wonderful experience, and the girls and I are actively making plans for a return visit in 2018, God willing! All my best, Bill

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
Very nice, have been missing your reports!

Posts: 2637 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful Pictures for sure. Cute women too. But the Oryx With the funky head is stunning wave

Posts: 189 | Location: Near the arctic circle, Norway | Registered: 14 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Fantastic report, and lovely family!

Posts: 4849 | Location: Clute, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
It looks like a Wonderful vacation.

Posts: 2328 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
Although not a "hunting trip" by design, while I was in camp, there was a suspicious incident involving a zebra as required for table fare. Savannah looks guilty.

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fantastic pics

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Great photos! It looks like a wonderful family adventure!

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12539 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great looking trip!!

Go Duke!!

Posts: 1284 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice Bill! Super pics as usual. The last sentence of your report really sums it all up...

quote:
I see now what a profound impact Africa has on a person, and why she keeps calling be back.

Posts: 1790 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very nice! I did a very similar trip with my (now ex)wife and stepkids in 2008.

I didn't know that about the Mad Max movie but as soon as I read it I could see the similarities to the movie.

Posts: 2921 | Location: Canada | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Great photos and adventure. Thanks for sharing!

Best regards, D. Nelson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow..what an adventure that looked like! Absolutely beautiful

Posts: 931 | Location: Music City USA | Registered: 09 April 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Excellent photos. We can see that you had a great time.
Etosha looks like it may have been better than Erindi where we went. Very dry there and the elephants were taking a serious toll on the native vegetation. Trees smashed to pieces everywhere, particularly around the waterholes.
I need to get a better camera.

The hunting imperative was part of every man's soul; some denied or suppressed it, others diverted it into less blatantly violent avenues of expression, wielding clubs on the golf course or racquets on the court, substituting a little white ball for the prey of flesh and blood.
Wilbur Smith

Posts: 916 | Location: L.H. side of downunder | Registered: 07 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing your very enjoyable adventure with your family Bill. tu2 jc

Posts: 1138 | Registered: 24 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Excellent.

My next trip to africa might be more along these lines.

Really enjoyed the report.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What a wonderful trip! My wife and I did our honeymoon safari with Johann and Vera in 2012. Namibia is a great place full of adventure and the Shona team offers the opportunity for a truly great experience.

"The true test of a man's character is what he does when no one is watching". - John Wooden

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was there just after you with my boys on a 10 day hunt. It was my second hunt with Johann great people.

Member NRA, NFA,CSSA,DSC,SCI,AFGA

Posts: 266 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 10 April 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Brings back great memories of our hunt out of Tualuka in 2007 with Johann and his wonderful family. Thanks for the report.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16371 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill,

Fantastic pictures. So glad you were able to get the girls to Africa.
I know now they will understand!!!
Namibia is by far the most beautiful place to take the family

Keith

What counts is what you learn after you know it all!!!

Posts: 711 | Location: York,Pa | Registered: 27 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Outstanding report and pics! tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great trip and pics Bill!! Love the pic gun !!!!

Posts: 1128 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 22 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by A.Dahlgren:
Very nice, have been missing your reports!

+1

Nice to see you back more often Bill. Touring Namibia is so much fun. It's how we got started on the addiction known as Africa.

Cheers
Jim

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7594 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful photos of a remarkable trip. Really shows how marginal most hunting areas are for game viewing!

Posts: 1978 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ManuelM
posted Hide Post
What a fantastic trip! Enjoyed the reports and pictures, and glad you had a good time in Africa with your beautiful girls, congratulations and thanks for sharing sir!

Manuel Maldonado
MM Sonoran Desert Hunters
https://www.facebook.com/huntingMM

Posts: 530 | Location: Hermosillo, Sonora | Registered: 06 May 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Missed this. Great family trip Bill. Looked like a fantastic time was had by all!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7522 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nhoro
posted Hide Post
Great report and outstanding photos. That's the kind of trip it will take to get my wife and daughter to Africa again.

JEB Katy, TX

Already I was beginning to fall into the African way of thinking: That if
you properly respect what you are after, and shoot it cleanly and on
the animal's terrain, if you imprison in your mind all the wonder of the
day from sky to smell to breeze to flowers—then you have not merely
killed an animal. You have lent immortality to a beast you have killed
because you loved him and wanted him forever so that you could always
recapture the day - Robert Ruark

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Great expedition very interesting specially Namibia coast .

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great pictures thanks for sharing

Posts: 920 | Location: Chico California | Registered: 02 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of IH
posted Hide Post
Great pictures and well described report, thanks for sharing.
I am very fascinating to go with family too soon.
Regards
IH

Posts: 192 | Location: Pakistan | Registered: 14 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Capt. Purvis
posted Hide Post
Great family trip. Nice pictures.

Captain Clark Purvis
www.roanokeriverwaterfowl.com/

Posts: 1141 | Location: Eastern NC Outer Banks | Registered: 21 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Thierry Labat
posted Hide Post
Great Pics and looks like a great family trip. Well done!!

Posts: 644 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 10 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
excellent as usual Bill. I have got to get to the skeleton coast for some of that fishing. That just looks like too much fun!

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow!! What an awesome trip!!! I'm jealous

Posts: 225 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 08 May 2013Reply With Quote