ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICA HUNTING REPORT FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Hunting Reports - Africa    Buffalo Hunt, Two Friends in Zimbabwe
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: T.Carr
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Buffalo Hunt, Two Friends in Zimbabwe
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted
Dates of Hunt: November 7th - November 11th
Hunters: Bill73 (Bal) and CDHOMS (Chris)
Safari Company: SSG Safaris, Simon Dzingai (PH)
Booking Agent: Duxdog (Bobby)
Travel Agent: Steve Turner
Guns: Blaser .375 H&H, Dakota .338 Lapua Magnum, Heym Safari .470 NE, Merkel .470 NE
Ammo: Hand-loaded Woodleigh Solids, Swift A-Frame, Hornady DGS
Primary Animals Hunted: Cape Buffalo

This was our first DG hunt in Africa. Originally, it was to be a seven-day hunt, but flight issues turned it into a five-day hunt; nevertheless, this was an exciting adventure and our first taste of hunting dangerous game. I will never forget this first hunt and the memories will last a lifetime. I'm very grateful to have shared camp with my friend Chris, the camaraderie and medical assistance that he provided for me was invaluable on this safari (I had an inflamed Achilles' Tendon in my right foot throughout this hunt, which he treated while in camp.)

We both ended up at The Harrison House in Harare, one day apart from each other. It is a clean and presentable place to stay overnight, with comfortable accommodations; however, for someone looking for a hotel "experience" (i.e. a bar, restaurant, etc.) I would recommend the Holiday Inn.

Arriving in camp on the 6th, we proceeded to check our guns. All firearms were working perfectly. Afterwards, we had the pleasure of meeting H. Kittle and his son in camp after a long day of hunting on their part. Below, some images of the camp and the surrounding countryside en route:

November 7th: Wake-up call was at 4:30. A quick breakfast, and we were off. An hour and a half later, we arrived at the hunting area. As soon as fresh tracks were spotted, we disembarked the Landcruiser along with the crew and the stalk was on. Late into the morning, after tracking through the brush, we closed up on a herd of buff. The brush was pretty thick, and I wondered how an accurate shot could be made without it being deflected. After waiting for a few minutes, a bull presented itself to a broadside shot. Simon (our PH) got the sticks up and Chris took position. The Merkel roared but a few moments later, and we had two perfectly placed heart-and-lung shots. The buff ran a few yards and collapsed. After two more shots, it ceased its kicking, and the kill was complete. Chris made it look so easy that I felt that I had been overly apprehensive up to that point in regards to hunting dangerous game.

After getting back to camp with the buff, we ate lunch, took a break, and headed back out later that same day. We stalked and tracked buffalo for the rest of the day, but to no avail, for no buffs presented themselves again. My right foot was on fire at this point Big Grin An ice soak for my ankle, a couple of Johnny Double-blacks, fresh buff liver and filet, and we were both enjoying our first post-hunt evening in camp.

November 8th: The crew decided on a day of rest for my foot, for which I was grateful. We would be hunting crocs today, which involved less walking. Arriving at the river's edge, we saw a group of local women washing clothes on the bank. Across the river, crocs were sunning themselves on the bank. It was all so casual, nobody batted an eye at the fact that crocs were in the vicinity. We spotted a shootable croc, drove downriver, crossed over, and disembarked. We proceeded to make our way back to the croc, and fortunately enough the terrain was very rocky, with huge boulders dotting the bank, which provided excellent cover. We started our stalk, but about 150 yards away from the croc, we heard a bit of female conversation, LOL. There were two ladies walking along the bank to the right, oblivious to both us and the crocs, with the day's laundry balanced atop their heads; after failing to catch their attention with a few strained whispers, a loud "SHUT THE F*** UP!" managed to alert them to our situation real quick, and off they scampered into the brush. The hunt was now back on, and thankfully the croc was still there. We got within 60 yards of it, Chris took up position, and the Merkel proved itself once again. Two Woodleigh Solids and the croc was kaput. Chris proved himself to be an excellent shot with open iron sights. He hit the brain with his first shot. We were all high-fiving, it was an exciting time. The people that we had passed on the other side of the bank decided to walk across the croc infested river to come say hello and congratulate us. I'm still trying to figure that one out..they walked across a river full of crocs, and they weren't fazed a bit! Big Grin

The rest of the day was spent sightseeing, with hunting taking a backseat.

November 9th: This was to be another buff hunting day, as well as my first attempt at killing one. The morning routine was the same, and by the crack of dawn we found ourselves within the hunting area. A quick tap on the cab, and I was out the door; we had seen some buff on the side of the trail. The stalk was on. By mid-morning, we closed up on them. With Simon at my side, I was presented with a Texas heart-and-lung shot on a sizable buff. With my Heym on the sticks, I centered on the target and sent a Swift A-frame on its way. The buff sank on its hind legs momentarily, and then it was off with the rest of the herd. There was a good blood trail, as well as some gore left at the scene of the shoot. We started to track it. After a while, we took a short break. The trackers advised us to give the buff some time to get sick. We commenced tracking again, and after around two hours we caught sight of the buff laying down; but before I could get a shot off, it was up and running. I did end up taking a shot, but I missed. It was getting pretty hot at this point. We tracked this buff all the way into the early afternoon, and ran out of water. It was decided that we would head back to camp to refill our supply. We returned to the field as soon as we could, and started tracking yet again. Eventually, we followed the tracks to the river that separated the hunting area from a nearby national park. I had lost my first DG animal on my very first DG hunt. We prioritized informing the park rangers of the situation.
I had mixed emotions about this day. The actual tracking and chase had been strenuous and thrilling, but I had lost the animal. I felt that I had experienced a real African hunt, but it had ended less the satisfactorily and I had left a wounded animal to die a slow death; however, to this day I have not received any notification from SSG Safaris that the animal had, in fact, died, and that the park rangers had succeeded in tracking it down.

November 10th: The crew gave me another foot-resting day, and Chris and I shot some meat animals and bloodied our bolt-actions. We did see a pack of wild dogs and variety of plainsgame. That evening, we went to a spot on the river to try to spot some elephants.

November 11th: We decided to go out for one last shot at a buff. Being extremely hot at the time, we chose to start earlier than usual, with plans to leave the bush before things heated up too badly. Arriving at the hunting area, we walked down to the river bank in the hopes of picking up fresh tracks leading away from the river. We saw elephant and lion tracks, along with buff tracks. We tracked and stalked all morning without getting any opportunities at any buff. We headed back to camp to sit the heat out, and went back out to the field in the late afternoon.
We commenced walking the bush. By 5 p.m., we still had no promising tracks to follow. There were about 8 of us walking single file, and at this point it seemed a peaceful finish to our hunting for the day.
Suddenly, the three trackers in front of me froze.
They were looking at me, as well as at something off to their right.
Everything seemed to slow down at this point. I stepped up to where they were, and looked to my right. OH. SH*T.....! I was looking face-to-face at a old and huge daggaboy. They tried to bring the sticks to me, but I waved them off. Lifting my Heym to my shoulder, I flicked off the the cover on my Docter sight while simultaneously flicking the safety off. I centered low on the bull's chest and let a solid go on its way. At my shot, the buff turned to my left and ran. I put the second barrel broadside. Simon, who was beside me, put a solid in from his .375 H&H. All hell broke loose at this point, and we were all running. In my head, I said "you are not getting away from me this time!" The buff collapsed about 20 yards away. I waved the sticks away yet again, and took two shots behind the shoulder. It rolled over at that point. We walked up to it, and put in a finisher. It was all over. The adrenaline rush was incredible.

Some random images from camp:

(Me and the chef whipping up some impala curry)

(The Heym)

(The Merkel)

(And of course, Lil' Ernest is always a welcome buddy)

In conclusion, I would recommend all the parties involved in making this hunt possible. It was a unique experience and I'm looking forward to my next African DG hunting trip!

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Bal:

You killed a great old buffalo. I love the worn bosses, the amazing drop and the blunted and dulled horn tips.

Way to go, Brother!

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7545 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chris Lozano
posted Hide Post
Bal
That is a great buffalo. Glad you had a good time.

Posts: 753 | Location: Michigan USA | Registered: 27 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
quote:
By mid-morning, we closed up on them. With Simon at my side, I was presented with a Texas heart-and-lung shot on a sizable buff.

In the arse?

With a soft?

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2988 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the old bull, Bal! tu2

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Bal we will have to talkin Dallas. congratulations on a super looking buffalo.

You made the shot. tu2

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bal,

Very Cool OLD Buff!!!

Many Thanks

HBH

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Well done Bal. Congratulations.

Mike

Posts: 21237 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of martin pieters
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on your hunt, was Nixon hunting with you on your safari?

martinpieterssafaris@gmail.com
www.martinpieterssafaris.com

" hunt as if it's your last one you'll ever be on"

Posts: 639 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by martin pieters:
Congratulations on your hunt, was Nixon hunting with you on your safari?

Safari Company: SSG Safaris, Simon Dzingai (PH)

'Simon (our PH) got the sticks up and Chris took position.'

'Simon, who was beside me, put a solid in from his .375 H&H.'

Posts: 2270 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 28 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by safari-lawyer:
quote:
By mid-morning, we closed up on them. With Simon at my side, I was presented with a Texas heart-and-lung shot on a sizable buff.

In the arse?

With a soft?

Yup in the arse with a soft,for some reason I had formulated the opinion that premium softs were ok for buff,solids were only really necessary for elephant,I think I have read that here several times on AR,NEVER THE LESS,I had a swift in the right barrel and a DGS in the left,I should have done my homework better and used solids only,I am sure there are many more lessons to be learned yet as time goes by and I participate in future hunts,
I am glad that safari-lawyer mentioned this as I intentionally put this in my report for other hunters to see and it be discussed,on any upcoming hunts I will be loading solids only for buff and up,

thanks for all the wishes guys,I hope to see you all in Dallas Smiler

DRSS

One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill73:
quote:
Originally posted by safari-lawyer:
quote:

In the arse?

With a soft?

Yup in the arse with a soft,for some reason I had formulated the opinion that premium softs were ok for buff,solids were only really necessary for elephant,I think I have read that here several times on AR,NEVER THE LESS,I had a swift in the right barrel and a DGS in the left,I should have done my homework better and used solids only,I am sure there are many more lessons to be learned yet as time goes by and I participate in future hunts,
I am glad that safari-lawyer mentioned this as I intentionally put this in my report for other hunters to see and it be discussed,on any upcoming hunts I will be loading solids only for buff and up,

thanks for all the wishes guys,I hope to see you all in Dallas Smiler

It makes for a very tough and expensive lesson. Sorry.

IMO, some of the fault lies with the guide who should be whispering, "Just wait for him to turn broadside."

Your second buff is nice. Congrats.

Will J. Parks, III

One of Us
Picture of Mississippian
posted Hide Post
Bal/Chris, Great hunt report!! I hate I couldnt make it this year, seems Bal couldve used my help carrying him through the bush with that damn nagging foot problem of his! Overall it appears you both had a great experience and thats what matters!

Posts: 1094 | Location: Yazoo City, Mississippi | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mississippian
posted Hide Post
quote:

IMO, some of the fault lies with the guide who should be whispering, "Just wait for him to turn broadside."

Bal, likes to learn things the hard way, tends to stick in his memory for a much longer time!! haha!

I think Bal was still thinking of that wildebeest he shot end to end with another swift aframe, I know thats a much smaller animal but he just had to try!!

Bal, I wouldnt leave those softs at home, may get a broad side shot with other animals behind the target animal. Remember the book you read on our first trip to SA?

Posts: 1094 | Location: Yazoo City, Mississippi | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Bal/ Chris, was Simon the professional hunter for both of you and was Nixon in camp?

One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
Martin,
Simon and Nixon were both with us all the time,Nixon was behind the pack most times and participated taking photographs and such,he was very helpful to us newbies,I did not mention him earlier as Simon was always in front with us with Nixon advising when he needed to,hope this answers your question!

DRSS

One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mississippian:
quote:

Bal, likes to learn things the hard way, tends to stick in his memory for a much longer time!! haha!

I think Bal was still thinking of that wildebeest he shot end to end with another swift aframe, I know thats a much smaller animal but he just had to try!!

Bal, I wouldnt leave those softs at home, may get a broad side shot with other animals behind the target animal. Remember the book you read on our first trip to SA?

Good advice from a good friend,and yes I stil like the A-Frames,I had complete confidence in using them on this hunt,although Nixon frowned upon my doing so,unfortunately they did'nt quite work as they did on that wildebeest Frowner,and you are right I don't forget things learned the hard way tu2

DRSS

one of us
Picture of RAC
posted Hide Post
Beautiful old buff. The pictures bring back memories....

I hunt, not to kill, but in order not to have played golf....

DRSS

Posts: 839 | Location: LA | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you was confused as you listed Simon as your PH and he is not licensed but with Nixon there no worries

One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
Great job and hunt! My buff hunt was with my best friend since we were 11 and it was really special! I hope you rethink the solids only as softs are appropriate 90% of the time, and with a double, you have instant selection as the case requires.

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2268 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry you lost the first one.

"I centered low on the bull's chest and let a solid go on its way. At my shot, the buff turned to my left and ran. I put the second barrel broadside. Simon, who was beside me, put a solid in from his .375 H&H."

It looks like you learned your lesson and got a great trophy!
Congratulations.

Posts: 177 | Location: Eastern Slopes of the Northern Rockies | Registered: 15 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Great report and a grand old bull. I hope my first African safari is like that.

I have not hunted DG - but I would not hesitate to use a Barnes TSX and aim under the tail - shooting a bit downwards towards the lungs

EDITED

Many of you experianced peopl have convinced me that this NOT a good idea and I take that as a lesson learned on AR. Thanks guys for the advise & the PMs.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11006 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
I was surprised to see Bal in the Kitchen......especially in the day time!!!!

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ROSCOE:

Yea Big Grin,I really wanted spicy Impala for dinner,had to start the prep early at lunch break,fresh game a glass of scotch around the fire with your friends at sundown,is what I call living.

DRSS

One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nakihunter:

I have not hunted DG - but I would not hesitate to use a Barnes TSX and aim under the tail - shooting a bit downwards towards the lungs.

I had Barnes Tsx 250 grainers loaded in my 338,I am sure I could drop a buff with it,but I do not know whether it would be suitable on a Texa heart lung shot,I saw the buff getting butchered,there is a lot of mass from the tail end to the lungs,any expanding bullet would proabably bog down and not reach the heart & lungs,just my thoughts though,I wonder what others have tried and what was their experience.

DRSS

One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nakihunter:

I have not hunted DG - but I would not hesitate to use a Barnes TSX and aim under the tail - shooting a bit downwards towards the lungs.

That's a good way to (1) get charged, (2) lose a buffalo, (3) place yourself and the hunting party in danger, (4) get killed, and plenty of other things, not one of which is kill the buffalo quickly and humanely.

Shooting a buffalo in the arse with a soft hoping to hit the lungs is a bad, bad bet every time.

It clearly didn't work for Bal with a 470NE, so why would you even say that you'd not hesitate to do it? Confused

Will J. Parks, III

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
DITTO

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13163 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
Totally irresponsible

One of Us
Picture of Mississippian
posted Hide Post
quote:
It clearly didn't work for Bal with a 470NE, so why would you even say that you'd not hesitate to do it?

The Barnes x worked for Saeed up the pipe. Why did it not work for Bal??(besides being a different bullet) Who knows, perhaps the placement was slightly off? or the bull moved at the last millisecond or whatever.... Ive been around Bal enough to know he is an outstanding marksman but as we all know, shooting live game is not the same as paper! Things happen when in the field and under stress. Im certain Bal is looing back on his experience and wishing he had done something different, lord knows I have numerous times throughout the years!! beer

One of Us
Picture of nitro450exp
posted Hide Post
Bal

Congratulations on an excellent old warrior.
A true trophy.

It takes a big man to admit to loosing an animal, personally and in public.
Especially this public.
I thank you for the strength to share the details, so that others may not make the same choices, that led to the unfortunate loss of an animal.

Yours truly
Nitro

"Man is a predator or at least those of us that kill and eat our own meat are. The rest are scavengers, eating what others kill for them." Hugh Randall
DRSS, BASA
470 Krieghoff, 45-70 inserts, 12 ga paradox, 20 ga DR Simson/Schimmel, 12 ga DR O/U Famars, 12 ga DR SXS Greener

Posts: 813 | Location: USA / RSA | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ROSCOE:

rotflmo

Antlers
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not too long ago I saw a video of a wounded buffalo hit in the ass [spine,pelvis] to prevent him from getting into some thick brush .It was perfect , paralysing the whole hind end .Last year I hit a deer a glancing blow on a vertabra with a 44 mag . Again the back half of the deer instantly collapsed.But paralysing part of the animal is different than trying to hit the Heart all the way from TX !!

One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
Just to confirm that it is the actions of the professional hunter I consider irresponsible, nobody else.

One of Us
Picture of A7Dave
posted Hide Post
How did you like your Docter sight? I plan to put one on my drilling.

Dave

Posts: 919 | Location: AKexpat | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
David, "PH'..........., Simon is not licensed in Zimbabwe.

One of Us
Picture of Nevada Wapati
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear you lost the first buffalo but I love the one you did get.

Posts: 385 | Location: Carson City | Registered: 17 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by A7Dave:
How did you like your Docter sight? I plan to put one on my drilling.

The Docter sight works great for me,in my mind it adds to turning a DR into a quick and deadly weapon,with the QD mount it is easy on easy off,mine returns very close to zero each time.

DRSS

One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Hulme:
Just to confirm that it is the actions of the professional hunter I consider irresponsible, nobody else.

shame I made the shot not the PH Mr.Hulme,the crew at SSG worked very hard for us,you shoot something you should be responsible for it!

DRSS

posted Hide Post
Is it just me, but why would a PH let a client shoot such a soft boss Buffalo on the first picture? That Buff should not have been taken. Was the Croc shot for the skin and why it is a small one? Second Buff picture is a good old bull, but first one should not have been shot and is a youngster.

One of Us
Picture of Adam Clements
posted Hide Post
texlonghorn - I totally agree and think that the part time booking agent "Bobby" should refund the client the trophy fees for both the soft boss Buff and young Croc!

adam@safaritrackers.com
www.safaritrackers.com
210-698-0077

Posts: 473 | Location: San Antonio, Texas & Tanzania | Registered: 20 November 2003Reply With Quote