Login/Join

one of us
Picture of BOWHUNR
posted
Thanks Ku-dude,

That's exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks Again,

BOWHUNR

Posts: 636 | Location: Omaha, NE U.S.A. | Registered: 28 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We stayed at the Victoria & Albert Hotel in the V&A harbor. It's sort of quaint and quirky - supposedly it is a remodeled warehouse. I don't remember the exact prices, but it seemed altogether reasonable. They have a rifle storage room and lots of shopping nearby. Their restaurant is nothing short of superb, and the wines of SA are as good as any I've ever tried anywhere. The harbor area really comes to life at night.

We took the trip down to the Cape and wineries, and suggest you try that also. The tour was quite interesting - lots of history in that part of the continent - and was conducted by a lady operating out of the hotel. We also did the tram up the mountain, luckily in clear weather. Great town to visit and look around ---

Posts: 33 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 22 June 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
A past post which may be of some help.

Capetown

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,

Cape Town is a wonderful place. In the past, I've stayed at the Commodore hotel at the V&A Waterfront, and it was excellent. These days, my girlfriend lives in Stellenbosch (just outside CT), so I have a bit more convenient place to stay...

If you are looking for fun activities, you might want to check out www.computicket.com and see what activities are going on. I don't lock myself inside my house at night in Cape Town, as there are many exciting shows, exhibits, restaurants, etc. to enjoy. It's truly a world-class city and is worth experiencing.

Be sure to use all of the normal security precautions that you would use when visiting LA, Dallas, Washington DC, etc, and you will be fine.

Enjoy your trip

Posts: 643 | Location: DeRidder, Louisiana USA | Registered: 12 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bowhunr- There is a restaurant in the main mall called "Bahia" . Check it out if you like seafood.We greatly enjoyed the Commodore.

Posts: 1337 | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Bowhunr,

our wine estate and guesthouse is just an hour from Cape Town. We are sure you would enjoy staying with us.

And whilst your wife is spending most of your money at the famous Waterfront in Cape Town, you could do some hunting with me, just 45 minutes from Cape Town (Eland, Cape Mountain Zebra, Oryx, Blue and Black Wildebeest, Bontebok, Red Hartebeest, Springbok).

Sunshine

www.kapstadt.de/lemberg

Posts: 640 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 12 June 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
BOWHUNR,
Been to Capetown a few times, the V&A is great but REALLY expensive. The last time there we stayed at a game ranch in Durbanville, about 20 min from Kapstad. It was beautiful, quiet and the food was superlative. I believe they have a web-site www1.capetourism.org/members/claraanafontein/. If you don't want to spend tons of money stay away from the Wharf and Century City. Great souvenirs can be had at Green Market square. There is a car park off Parade St.across from the markets there, but don't go into the markets. Walk towards Adderly St. cross and you can reach Green Market up any of the side streets. I've never had a problem there but don't dress well, keep your money in your front pocket and never pull out alot at a time. Take the cable car up Table Mountain if at all possible, depending on the weather. If you want to mall shop, go to Tigerberg Center near Durbanville. The prices are fully 30% less than the tourist malls. If the weather is bad, take a ride up Constantia Nek to Camp Bay and Hout Bay, the cape breakers are beautiful, and try Blues Restaurant. Back in Capetown, try Poplars (my personel favorite) or The Blue Peter. The prices are very resonable.
Have a great time,
Mark

Posts: 6 | Location: NW PA | Registered: 16 January 2004Reply With Quote