ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICA HUNTING REPORT FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Hunting Reports - Africa    Great Trip With Kei River Safaris - 2

Moderators: T.Carr
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Great Trip With Kei River Safaris - 2
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
The boy's weren't the only ones to hunt. I was after nyala, bushbuck and a big warthog if we could find one. The latter, I learned, being one of the more difficult to achieve. Andrew and I spent a few days working on the nyala and bushbuck and finally scored on both on the same day. I don't believe I have ever glassed as much as I did on this trip. These both taken with the 358 Win.

On the last afternoon of the trip PH Martin, youngest son Tony and I went after warthog walking the river bottoms. A long but very scenic hike had us in a half mile or so when we came upon a few hogs that were being yelled at by the baboons. Nothing big but plenty of holes in the soft soil where they lived. Martin suggested we continue on to another similar area another half mile or so further. There we found a small group of five, a sow and some youngsters. As we are glassing from 400 yards or so Martin whispers, "There he is, look above them". Bingo. A stalk to within 210 yards, set up the sticks and a pull of the 358's trigger.

I won't write about the walk back in the dark...

Here are some photos of the lodge and areas hunted. We really need to go back as Andrew's operation is exactly not what most think Eastern Cape hunting is. Fine fair chase hunting at its best.

Oh, and I cannot leave out the great meals Andrew's dear wife prepared (killer soups!) and the grilling done by Clint, Martin and Andrew. The night of kudu and wildebeest tenderloin cut the day before from my son's animals was more than tasty.

The only downer of the hunt was my wife meeting up with a dog that, well, she didn't like much.

Posts: 1575 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great Safari! Good to see that everyone shared in the hunting! Monster Warthog. Congratulations.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
For a dog to piss on someone's leg then present it's backside to be disciplined...brave dog!!!!

Nice hunt with a jaws hog...well done

Posts: 352 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 01 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nevada Wapati
posted Hide Post
That is a great warthog, congratulations. Sharing Africa with your family sounds great. Thanks for the report & photos.

What do you have on The Hide? My family & I will be there and Victoria Falls next week before we go on our hunt.

Randy

Posts: 386 | Location: Carson City | Registered: 17 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cazador humilde
posted Hide Post
Great reports. Congratulations to you and your boys. That's a monster of a warthog. Your wife is a real trooper letting you post that. 'Looking for a new dog - a male Jack won't be in the running.

Posts: 1278 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 31 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great report, and congrats to you, and your family.
You did great, and this is something your family will never forget...Outstanding!!!!

Posts: 559 | Location: texas | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
I love it and congrats to all.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Amazing warthog! Thanks for sharing.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11007 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I truly love dogs, but I would have tried to drop kick that little bastard over the truck.
Awesome animals & photos!

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
Love that Warthog!! Congrats...

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3106 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
Congrats on a wonderful trip with the Rentons. We just booked another trip to hunt with Andrew and the clan. Can't wait to get back over and see everyone again!

That didn't happen to be Gotcha that peed on your wife's leg was it? He promptly pissed on my gun case the morning we were getting everything rounded up to leave.

Congrats!!!

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gbax
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by graybird:
Congrats on a wonderful trip with the Rentons. We just booked another trip to hunt with Andrew and the clan. Can't wait to get back over and see everyone again!

That didn't happen to be Gotcha that peed on your wife's leg was it? He promptly pissed on my gun case the morning we were getting everything rounded up to leave.

Congrats!!!

No that wasn't Gotcha. Fortunately my wife is pretty hearty. She only knew it happened when her leg warmed up. Big Grin "F'in dog" then she walked over to the skinning rack to watch the work. Enjoy your trip. Great folks they are.

Posts: 1575 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote