Ammo 375 Federal Premium, 450NE Hornady
Optics Zeiss
PH – Nixon Dzingai
Trackers- Peter and Dixon
Driver - Barney
Skinner - Makhile
Other staff, Titos, Lydia Shylet, Aluwtz, and Tagara
Primary animals hunted, Elephant, Bushbuck, Buffalo, Zebra, Kudu, and Impala
Secondary - Wart Hog and what every else we became interested in.
Animals Taken - Buffalo and Impala
Animals Seen - Elephant, Kudu, Bushbuck, Waterbuck, Zebra, Impala, Hyena, Jackel, Wildbeest, Grysuck, Duiker, Steenbuck, Baboon

This trip for my son and I began with a flight from Memphis to Atlanta and then on to Johannesburg. We only had a couple of hours to make the transfer from Delta to SSA in Johannesburg, We engaged Bianca with Safari-Concierges to facilitate the transfer of guns and luggage from one carrier to the other, IMO, this was worth the money. We arrived in Harare on time where we were met my Duncan Frost, (ZimFrosty here on AR) Duncan graciously put us up overnight. We enjoyed visiting with he and his lovely wife and daughter. The following morning we were up early and after a shower and some coffee we were feeling normal. SSG’s driver Barney arrived shortly thereafter and we began the 7 hour plus trip to Malapati. We were picked up in a four door Nisssan or Toyota SUV, for the trip to Cheredzi, where we change to a 1 truck with one seat. You should have seen the three of us squeezed into one seat. Not much fun. Oh and did I mention that the air in the 4 door suv did not work and to make the heat even worse the engine started to overheat, thus the ride was even more uncomfortable. For those of you planning to book with SSG or that already have a trip booked with him, you should know that he now has a 4 door Toyoto truck with air that works to transport clients to and from the airport and the safari area.

We arrived in camp in time to check our rifles prior to the first day of our hunt. We were pleasantly surprised to have a couple of other hunters in camp. They were from the Denver area. I think they hunted for another two or three days before they departed. They had a very successful buffalo hunt and were great company.

I am not going to bore you with day by day details. I will only mention some of the highlights. My son took a fine old buffalo and a couple of nice impala. I on the other hand was looking for elephant and a bush buck. Unfortunately I missed my shot completely on my one opportunity at a bush buck. Hart took his buffalo on day four of the hunt.

We had what we think was a very nice bull come into our camp on nights 5 and 6 We were up very early on the morning of day 7. The elephant was in camp. We got up around 12.15 A.M. thinking we might be to follow them out of camp. We sat or slept in the eating/lounging area of the camp while the elephant fed close by. When they started to depart just prior to daylight we tried to follow them but they got back into the park before we could catch up to them.

On day 8 we woke up to it pouring down rain. While we welcomed the cooling rain, this really screwed up the hunt. The rain caused new growth to sprout in the national park where the elephants were holed up. The new growth along with the rain putting water in the pans within the park gave the elephants no reason to move into the hunting area. We were really screwed from this point on. From this point on all we could do was roll the tires and look for fresh spoor.

We only spotted elephant within the hunting area twice during the 12 day hunt. Both times the elephants were at a great distance and moving away from us. Those we spotted first were too small and the second group was spotted at almost dark, much too late to try and give chase.

On November the 6th a couple of other hunters arrived in camp to begin their hunt on November 7th. They were to have been in camp a day earlier, however one of them missed their plane and was a day late in arriving.

Little E just did not seem to work his magic this trip. We let him ride up front, we let him ride up top, he ate and slept with us. Along day 10 we were considering sacrificing him. At the conclusion of the hunt I considered shooting him with my 450NE. Maybe I should return him to the Judge and he could return him to the store and get a refund as this one did not have seem to have any good MOJO.

On November 7th, Barney returned us to Harare, Hart had been feeling a bit under the weather so, rather than impose on Duncan we stayed at the Michleson Hotel. After a good night’s rest Hart was just about back to full steam. After a quick breakfast and a short walk around downtown Harare we were off to the airport. When we check in we ask about a courtesy van to take us to the airport, we were told no problem. Upon our arrival at the airport the driver tried to hit us up for $50.00. We finally told him take $25.00 or nothing, he took the $25.00.

The trip home was uneventful but long. Now I just have to get caught up with work..

People back home have asked me how I felt about going all that way and not getting an elephant. My only answer is that I regret not ever getting in close on a elephant, more so than actually pulling the trigger. Getting an elephant would have been great, however getting to spend so much time with my son and being with him when he shot his first buffalo was even better.

This was my second time to hunt with SSG and Nixon. I had no complaints about my last hunt with him in 2009, however this hunt was even better. He has a new cook and the food while perhaps not gourmet was truly outstanding and varied. The cabins have screen on all the windows. A screen door would be nice to have to help get a little air moving during the really hot weather. With Nixon adding the new truck for transporting clients to and from the hunting area he now really does run a first class operation.

I am giving serious consideration to going back in early 2013 to try again for elephant.

Posts: 555 | Location: the Mississippi Delta | Registered: 05 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Ah, the thrills and challenges of late season hunting. Sorry about the elephant... that is hunting, even in the best areas. It happened to me this year chasing lion. I am glad your son took a nice buff and hope you will post pictures of him. Better luck on your next safari!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7532 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
quote:
We only spotted elephant within the hunting area twice during the 12 day hunt. Both times the elephants were at a great distance and moving away from us. Those we spotted first were too small and the second group was spotted at almost dark, much too late to try and give chase.

Tough hunting that. Even to the point of demoralizing.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2988 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear about the difficulties with the elephant. Do not give up though, give them another run in 2013. I would have loved to get a report of how the Sabatti performed in the field. From my perspective your hunt was a success from the time you left since you had your son with you!

Mike

Posts: 21237 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
MJines,

You are so right about the trip being successful. I am sorry I was not able to bloddy the Sabatti. Guess I will have to wack a hog or two with it.

Thanks

Posts: 555 | Location: the Mississippi Delta | Registered: 05 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Who is Hartley Kittle the 3rd?is he a Zim PH?Just asking?

Pete Barnard Safaris
www.africanhunting.biz

Posts: 141 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hartley, it was a great pleasure meeting you and Hart in camp.

We enjoyed sharing the campfire with you guys as well as your Amarula!

Best,

Patrick

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry Hartley,new to this internet stuff,You the client,I see Nixon was your PH,good guy.

Pete Barnard Safaris
www.africanhunting.biz

Posts: 141 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Ph was Nixon Dzingai.

Hartley III was the primany hunter. Hartley IV is my son.

Sorry for the confusion.

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Hartley,

I am disappointed for you on the elephant but very happy for your son and for the two of you going on safari together. It was successful for all of the right reasons and I look forward to hearing about your next safari. Lil E will give you twice the luck next time.

Your friend,

Paul

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3460 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of WSR
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the report and update on SSG safaris. Pictures???

I'm considering a buffalo safari with them for 2012, which would be my second safari but first dangerous game hunt.

Thanks - Will

Posts: 21 | Location: South Carolina, USA | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
I'm glad you and Hart had a good adventure, but so sorry about the elephant. For next time, remember that Little Ernest doesn't like to be kissed! At least not by men.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4779 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hartley,

Congrats to your son. Sorry for your ele experience. As you probably know, I will be hunting Eles with Nixon in March. I had heard of Peter but he was not there when I was there in August.

How about some pics of the Buff.

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1926 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
Sorry about the ele Hartley. but I am glad for your son's buff and you guys getting to do that trip together...

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RAC
posted Hide Post
Sorry about the elephant. That is why it is called hunting. You never know the outcome and the unpredictability is what makes hunting so great.

I hunt, not to kill, but in order not to have played golf....

DRSS

Posts: 839 | Location: LA | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote