New
Find
Notify
Tools

Matetsi
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just arrived back home after a safari in Matetsi unit 2. The hunt was arranged by Theo de Marillac of De Marillac Safaris in South Africa and PH was Gwau Johnson.
I shoot a zebra with my 416 Wby and with my .577 Tyrannosaur I shot a good buffalo bull (38") and a HUGE elephant (Between 6,5 - 7 tons weight , tusks: left one:196 cm / 66 Ibs , right one: 184 cm/ 60 Ibs ). The effect of the T-Rex was nothing short of formidable - one heart shot (bullet went through both shoulders and was found under the skin and made a circular 10" hole in the heart).
The elephant only walked 3-4 meters before collapsing...
The buff was also a one shot kill.

After the elephant was down I placed 2 more shots in his chest frontally with fullpowerloads (2650 f/s). Both penetrated into the guts which means lengthwise through him. (The first heartshot was a reduced load - around 2300 f/s - to be able to shot to the same point of impact as factoryloaded softpoint ammo (A-Square ammo with Dead Tough bullets at 2200 f/s ).

A fantastic hunt in a fantastic area with fantastic trophies.

Posts: 186 | Location: 9750 Honningsvaag, Norway | Registered: 10 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a great hunt. Nice to hear about the 577 Ty in action. What solids did you use in the 577?

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Show us some pictures to drool over.

Don't forget to post a picture of the 577 Ty.

Posts: 219 | Location: Reading, PA | Registered: 15 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I loved hunting Matetsi! Know that you had a great time. [Wink]

Posts: 1357 | Location: Texas | Registered: 17 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 218 Bee
posted Hide Post
Congratulations Ulrik!

I hunted Unit 2 in '98 and had a great time. I wonder if the sleepy little border post at Pandamatenga has changed any...although I think I'd bet against it!

I'd like to see some pics as well if you can manage it; "old home week" and all that!

Again, congratulations!

Posts: 607 | Location: Coleman County, Texas | Registered: 05 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ulrik,

Congatulations on a great hunt. Fantastic luck on the elephant. I hope I can do as well next summer in Botswana.

Posts: 12876 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote