ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICA HUNTING REPORT FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Hunting Reports - Africa    Our Namibia Hunt with Vaughn Fulton & Airport Hunting Farm

Moderators: T.Carr
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Our Namibia Hunt with Vaughn Fulton & Airport Hunting Farm
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Jack D Bold
posted
Hello All,

I just want to share with you the most memorable trip of my life. My son Christopher and I set off on safari to Namibia on 8/10.

We started at Uwe Trumper's airport farm in Windhoek. Yes, Windhoeks Hosea Kutako airport is literally right on the farm, making the commute a breeze. Uwe offers the classic African hospitality to go with his 20k acre free range hunt. Christopher was able to harvest a springbok, a world class red hartebeest, and a black wildebeest on an adjoining ranch. Uwe is highly recommended as a jumping off/resting ranch while offering the chance to hunt 6-7 species of plainsgame.

The next Monday found us at Eros airport for the 2 hour flight to Mapacha, in route to Vaughn Fulton's Caprivi strip concessions. The first day had us meeting the other elephant hunter in camp and sighting in. The business end of our shooting equipment checked out fine. Any miscues could only be blamed on operator error.

The first day was spent covering 150k of bad road looking for tracks. Christopher wanted to high tail it after the very first set of tracks - After all we are in Africa to follow elephants, not drive the roads, right? I love the enthusiasm of my son!

We returned to a promising area on day 2, and shortly found 7 bull tracks. The bushman trackers James and Zacharias set off in the lead. It was an amazing thing to experience. They can read bent grass the way you or I read interstate billboards. There was never a doubt we would catch up to the elephant. It was just a matter of what and when.

An hour and a half into the track we bumped into the back of the elephant. My Professional Hunter Fred Bezuidenhout positioned us 21 yards away from this awe inspiring bull. This was not a bull to pass up, even on day 2. Two shots later he was on the ground, and he required a few more insurance rounds to anchor him. He went 59.7 pounds at 75.5 ".

Vaughn's camps are clean and comfortable, right on the Chobe river and the Botswana border. While zebra were abundant, there was a serious lack of other game in the area. That only became apparent after dropping Jumbo early on in the hunt. It sets in that we are sitting in the Dark Continent with nothing much to hunt. We spent a few evenings fishing. The catfish were abundant, large, and eager. Kudos to VF for running e nice camp in a truly dangerous game area.

A big thanks again to Wendell Reich for setting up this fantastic hunt. This is truly the greatest show on earth, and to share it with my son made it twice as good.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30434362@N07/2850836735/in/photostream/

A little local color.

"You only gotta do one thing well to make it in this world" - J Joplin

Posts: 1129 | Registered: 10 September 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Nice bull. You can really see which one is the "working tusk".

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12710 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Jack,

Congratulations on the bull ele and hunting with one's son is priceless...
Tell that young man great shooting..

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Wow, terrific bull! Made all the more special by sharing it with your son, I am sure. Congrats!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
Lucky kid, but that's a helluva' thing, making a lad that young shoot that big gun. Smiler Nice job all around, and thanks for sharing. That sunset/sunrise shot is gorgeous.

KG

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jack D Bold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kamo Gari:
Lucky kid, but that's a helluva' thing, making a lad that young shoot that big gun. Smiler Nice job all around, and thanks for sharing. That sunset/sunrise shot is gorgeous.

KG

KG, just to let you know I took that bull. It's great to get our children involved, but you just can't start them out at the top.

Thanks for the post!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congradulations on the great hunt you had with your son. Fred was in camp with another hunter when I was there in July, he was a grreat guy to have in camp and I imagine a great PH.

That is an awesome elephant!

Posts: 195 | Location: Bremerton, WA | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Congratulations, Jack. Great old bull.

Can you give us rifle enthusiasts some details?

What kind, caliber of double rifle did you use? What kind of ammo, bullets, etc.?

Again, congrats, and kudos too for taking the time and effort to introduce your son to African hunting.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13667 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jack D Bold
posted Hide Post
MR,

Thanks for your post. The rifle I used is a .470 Blaser SR in Exclusive grade. My friend Alex Roy at www.eurooptic.com set me up with this beautiful rifle.

John LaSalle over at Safari Arms loaded the ammo, which was 500 grains of Barnes Banded solid, 2150 fps of bad news to whatever is on the receiving end. John has supplied me with the ammo for 5 safaris, and I could not recommend him enough. All you need to do is compare prices for the .470 from John and Cabelas.

I guess I could get into reloading, but I am afraid that I am that type of personality that needs to jump in with both feet. I do not have the room at my house to build my own shot tower, so I am on the reloading sidelines for now.

I took the Blaser S2 because of my past experiences with the R93. IMO they are the finest, most versatile production rifles available. But the S2 seemed at bit front heavy for my frame. I noticed Dr. Gordon's (the other elephant hunter in camp) Krieghoff was shorter and lighter than the S2. Almost like a quail gun compared to a goose gun.

Each frame has its advantages. The longer platform is most stable, but when things get sticky and you need to come to bear (pun intended) quickly, I am thinking the Krieghoff would feel better in my hands. At some point I will either trade or own one.

On another note, Uwe likes to bow hunt, and took me to stick this grand old gentleman.

Enjoy!

One of Us
Picture of Aziz
posted Hide Post
Congratulation Jack; that is a very good Elephant, I enjoyed you photographs.

Aziz

photo 5a71b091-8ccb-440e-8358-1ba8fe6939cb_zpsga1mmy00.jpg

Posts: 591 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 04 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
A great hunt and fantastic pics. Congratulations again, to you and your son!

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Well done Jack. I am heading to the Caprivi w/ Vaughan next week, leaving Monday night. I am after buffalo & what ever I comes across the sights of my 404jeff.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
Outstanding Jack, simply grand! Congrats to you both.
Good hunting,
David

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6825 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is a wonderful elephant. Just waiting patiently for my turn in August 2009. I am taking my wife and daughter who will be starting college that fall. I think this will be memorable all around for all of us. Not only hunting elephant but buffalo also. Having them photograph the hunt with my video camera. Should be some hunting scenes. 21 yards from one of the biggest and most inteligent animals on this planet, got to be an adrenalin rush.

One of Us
Picture of Jack D Bold
posted Hide Post
driftwood

Great call on bringing your family. You will share an experiemce like mo other. A group on an ele hunt works. We had 7 on the track of jumbo and those extra bodies were no problem. You will have the time of your life!

Where are you hunting? What caliber are you bringing? The first thought I had upon seeing my bull up close was - I need a bigger gun.

Take a few minutes with you ph looking at an ele skull. Know in your mind where to place the first shot at different angles and attitudes. It will help you at showtime.

I hope your hunt is everything you wish for, and more.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will hunt in an area picked by Vaughn. At this time only know it is the Caprivi Strip. It appears there are several area's there that he hunts for elephant and buffalo. Will probably learn more when I see him in Dallas. I will be bringing my Searcy 450 NE with 480 grain soft and solid woodleighs and my 416 Remington with 400 grain Barnes banded solids and 400 grain Swift soft points.

one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
Now that is what I call a sunset!!

Congrats all round,
FB

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote