ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICA HUNTING REPORT FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Hunting Reports - Africa    Pelandaba Safari Elephant and Buffalo

Moderators: T.Carr
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pelandaba Safari Elephant and Buffalo
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Operator: Pelandaba Safaris Aubrey Kent

PH: Ishumael Tshabalala and Paul Phelan

Dates: July 11th-22nd

Logistics: All coordinated by Aubrey including all ground transportation, airport pickup and SAPS Gun clearance

Rifles: Chapuis 470 Double and Mauser M03 458 Lott both with Trijicon Accupoint Scopes

Ammo: 500Gr Woodleigh Solids and Softs for both rifles

Binoculars: Leica 8X32 Ultravid

OVERVIEW: This was my third safari to Africa and my first dangerous game hunt. I hooked up with Aubrey on the outfitter hunt forum and immediately developed a great relationship. The camp was very organized and well run. I wanted for nothing the food was great and there were 4 bottles of Jack Daniels waiting for me. The entire camp staff were polite and professional and made me feel very welcome I made it clear to Aubrey that I am an overweight 53 year old and he assured me he could accommodate me .

AREA: Camp is set on the Limpopo River on the southernmost border of Zimbabwe and the Northern border of South Africa. Sengwe 1 is strategically placed between Gonarezhou National Park and Kruger National Park. Due to the heavy rains this year the Limpopo still had a considerable amount of water which inhibited the movement of game from Kruger. The area had limited amounts of plains game we saw Duiker, Kudu, Steenbok and some huge Bush Bucks. We saw Buffalo and Elephant sign or animals every day and this area has the potential for a huge Bull Elephant or Buffalo. We saw fresh tracks of an Elephant Bull that were 26” he came in and left at night (He Knew the BIG Bwana was in Camp)

ACCOMODATIONS: The camp has a very spacious and comfortable tent with an onsite bathroom. The bed was very comfortable and everything was well maintained and spotlessly clean. The dining area was a thatched roof building with great views of the river and park. Sitting around the fire at night looking over the river was magical the symphony of lions and other animals was incredible.

Trip Details
Flew South African Airlines Business Class from NY JFK direct to Johannesburg the flight us uneventful and the service good. Aubrey met me at the airport and whisked me through the SAPS process we were on our way in 45 minutes. We talked about hunting the whole way and the 6 hour drive to the border went very quickly. We were meet by Paul Phelan in Messina and we worked our way through the throngs of people very quickly Paul smiled and talked us through both side of the border in less than 2 hours. My vacation begins we were in camp 5 hours later. Drinks and dinner were waiting and I took 2 Ambien’s and passed out.

Days 1 and 2 were rainy and cold we saw lots of sign but nothing was moving. We sighted our guns in and I had issues with my double being very inconsistent. I switched to the Lott which was spot on. The next day we went back the range and I started rear trigger first the target improved

Day 3 was still overcast but no rain. We were seeing more animal sign and very late in the morning saw a huge herd of Buffalo and had a shot opportunity on a huge buffalo that was deemed too soft. We saw lots of tracks and had high hopes for the coming days.

Day 4 was sunny and warm . We cut a track and walked through a fever tree forest on to a huge Saw Grass Flat. Our scouts were watching a group of Dagga boys in the middle of the flat. We spent the next 90 minutes working our way towards the Buffalo. I was instructed they would stop to look at us then turn and run so the shot would be quick. They did not follow the plan and jumped up 30 yards away and ran off about a 200 yards. We again started a stalk on the 6 Dugga Boys 2 of which had huge bosses and worked our way slowly to within 50 yards but could not get a shot due to the high grass. Watching those Buffalo run away in that fluid swimming motion was a memory I will never forget. We had a late lunch and found tracks of a group of 3 Elephant bulls that went into riverine brush and would hopefully be there tomorrow.

Day 5 was a great day the Game Scouts and trackers left early and found the 3 Bulls whose tracks we saw the night before. They were in thick riverine brush you can only walk on Elephant trails and could be 5 yards away from a bull and not be able to see him. We spent the next 2 hours working our way into position on the Bulls it really is amazing how quiet they were. We caught up to them and I took a 50 yard shot quartering away shot and put the shot right in front of the ear hole and missed the brain my follow up was a body shot, We spent the next 2 hours tracking the Bull and caught up to the other 2 Bulls and he separated from them. The Paul and Ishumael sent me back to the truck with our game scout to watch the river crossing point (They needed to get a very nervous hunter out of the way). Three hours later we heard 3 shots and got the radio call dead Elephant. I was a very happy hunter but very disappointed with my bad shooting.

On our way back to camp our trackers tapped on the roof a mil
e from camp Buffalo we got out of the truck walked in 100 yards and came up on 2 hard bossed bulls. The sticks were set up but I had no shot. The Buffalos ran about 50 yards and stopped to look at us I got on the sticks and took a quartering shoulder shot. We immediately took up after the bull that ran 75 yards and was very sick with his head down and bleeding profusely. One of the trackers spotted the Bull and Paul fired a shot into him. He ran in a small circle and came straight at us. We all shot and he died 15 yards away from us WOW !!!!! What a way to end our day my dream Buffalo a beautiful hard bossed Dugga boy.

Day 6 We spent the early morning butchering our Buffalo and sent the crew to cut a track to the Elephant. The experience of watching the Elephant getting butchered and how the locals found us and started getting in line early in the morning was amazing. We hung out and left in the early afternoon right before the meet was given out. There were a lot of happy people Christmas in July.

Day 7 Went to Gonarezhou Park for the day very pretty park saw lots of plains game and huge crocs unfortunately no Elephants or people. The log book had 2 entries in the past week very sad to see such a pretty place empty.

Day 8- 12 Spent our time looking for a huge Buffalo called Dolphin after a couple of days Paul told me a tracker looked at the hooves and the Buffalo we shot was in fact Dolphin. We saw Buffalo and Elephants but I was done hunting .
I left early and checked into the Emperor Palace and had a great few days went on an epic losing streak and did some sightseeing in Joberg. Aubrey took me out for a great dinner and made arrangements to go to Zimbi Books and a really nice gun shop with his brother in law Dean. Aubrey meet me at the airport and we had a few beers before heading home for a very uneventful flight home.

Aubrey has built an excellent Hunting Camp in a great area . Both Paul and Ishumael were very professional and great company. The whole crew went out of their way to ensure I had a successful hunt. I would go back to Pelandaba in a heartbeat and highly recommend the camp for either Buffalo or Elephant hunt. I hope someone gets that giant Bush Buck.

Posts: 170 | Location: Vero Beach Florida | Registered: 23 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cnm123:
Aubrey has built an excellent Hunting Camp in a great area . Both Paul and Ishumael were very professional and great company. The whole crew went out of their way to ensure I had a successful hunt. I would go back to Pelandaba in a heartbeat and highly recommend the camp for either Buffalo or Elephant hunt.

Congratulations to you, and my experience with Aubrey/Pelandaba was the same!!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4884 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
congrats your buff is a beauty!

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Well done.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7522 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jjbull
posted Hide Post
Congratulations BIG Bwana and thanks for sharing your report.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Give me the simple life; an AK-47, a good guard dog and a nymphomaniac who owns a liquor store.

Posts: 817 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota/Florida's Gulf Coast | Registered: 23 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on a great hunt.

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
The next day we went back the range and I started rear trigger first the target improved

I support the rear-trigger-first routine. Do you mind expanding on your experience?

Congrats on your hunt.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19307 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of matt u
posted Hide Post
Nice buffalo bull tu2

Posts: 1662 | Location: Winston,Georgia | Registered: 07 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on a successful safari! tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats! Nice trophies!

Skip Nantz

Posts: 538 | Location: SouthEast, KY | Registered: 09 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the positive comments

Bill
I found my right barrel to be dead on and the left always 4"-8" off the first shot i attributed it to the scope and regulation issues. Paul suggested we try again rear triger first and you can see the result on the target operator error.
Chris

Posts: 170 | Location: Vero Beach Florida | Registered: 23 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chris,

thanks for the kind words, the guys loved having you around and had a blast hunting with you. Joseph phoned me two days after you had left to tell me about the BIG big fisherman - i wonder about the stories you told him.... he said you caught fish that were bigger than buffalo..... lol only kidding around!

take care and we will be in comms.

cheers

aubrey

Posts: 605 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 07 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jjbull:

JJBULL - man you couldnt have hit the nail more on the head if you had tried. Chris is a BIG Bwana straight out on NY.... Man id hate to be on his bad side...

Posts: 605 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 07 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Good shooting way to go. Could you enlarge your photos.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jjbull
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .458Aubs:
quote:
Originally posted by jjbull:

JJBULL - man you couldnt have hit the nail more on the head if you had tried. Chris is a BIG Bwana straight out on NY.... Man id hate to be on his bad side...

No way I want to be on his bad side either, Aubs. I would have never typed "BIG Bwana" except Chris did first himself.

Congrats to you too, btw.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Give me the simple life; an AK-47, a good guard dog and a nymphomaniac who owns a liquor store.

Posts: 817 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota/Florida's Gulf Coast | Registered: 23 March 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Vertically challenged if you don't mind! rotflmo

Great report & trophies BTW!

One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
The trouble with tall beggars is that the woodpeckers get 'em first. Cool

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just to be clear the Big Bwana doesn't spread fish tales.

posted Hide Post
Cong. on a great hunt . I was in camp the week before your hunt and had a great experience hunting buffalo. Boy I wish my pocket book was deeper -video several elephants at 15 to 60 yards.

Harvested a couple of buffalo --one 40 inch with 12 inch bosses and a bushbuck. Highly recommend Pelandaba for buffalo and elephant. Hunting with Paul is a great experience--knows game, rifles, habitat--the full package--I would be honored to share another campfire with Paul.

After the hunt Aubrey invited me into his home and shared a day with his family in Joburg--Aubrey--YOU KNOW YOU OVERMARRIED. Wish you and family the best. See you in Dallas

Tom

One of Us
Picture of almostacowboy
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on killing "Dolphin"! He was probably pretty tired from Aubs and I chasing him around when I was there last Oct. Wink
He was one smart buff! Congrats on the ele, too! Well done.

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value."
-Thomas Paine, "American Crisis"

Posts: 816 | Location: Llano, CA Mojave Desert | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With Quote