Notify
Tools

A real...and small... trophy
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted
 -

A friend that I hunted with bagged this steenbok.....what do you think?

[ 08-25-2003, 17:53: Message edited by: vapodog ]

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Looks like a very good one to me Vapo!

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of gas57
posted Hide Post
The horns are as long as the ears, maybe more! This is an above average animal and a great trophy.
Jeff

Posts: 903 | Location: Texas | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
Our outfitter told us that it makes the Rowland & Ward book by more than an inch!!!

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I hunted 10 days in Namibia and 10 days in R.S.A. and never saw a Steenbuck even close to the size of yours. We spend several days focusing on Steenbuck. Came away with zilch! I'm no expert but you would have heard me hooting from a mile away if I had shot that little beauty.

Posts: 80 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
This guy is equivalent to a 50" wide cape Buffalo.....and sadly they're ignored. I so dearly loved my tour thru RSA that I have trouble explaining these little guys. They're absolutely unknown and magnificient trophies. At least for those of us that understand. Hell before last July I didn't even know what a steenbok was!!

What magnificient memories!!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow! That is a TREMENDOUS steenbok!

Posts: 82 | Location: Loxley,AL | Registered: 25 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice, it is good to see some people that appreciate the little guys. They are not that easy to get. Most people dream of the big five, but to me the tiny ten are much harder to come by when one takes the cost out of the mix, although cost per pound they are probably the most expensive game going.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That is a whopper. [Wink] Hope to come anywhere near that next Aug. in SA [Big Grin]

Posts: 448 | Location: High Ridge MO USA | Registered: 16 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll be looking for a big one next year with Garry Kelly but I doubt we will get one that nice. A great trophy!!!

Posts: 12866 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Mighty Joe
posted Hide Post
I harvested this little guy on August 4th in the Botswana Kalahari:

-

[ 09-17-2003, 23:59: Message edited by: Mighty Joe ]

Posts: 910 | Location: Oakwood, OK, USA | Registered: 11 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
He sure is a lot nice than the one I was so proud of last year. They are hard to hit 'cause they're never still.

Posts: 1275 | Location: Fla | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tommy Igi
posted Hide Post
I really like hunting those little ones - it is a true sport to stalk them. I think that those who cannot enjoy hunting the tiny ten simply haven't got a clue about how to really appreciate any hunting experience at all. They've lost the ability to feel the real thrill it is to get close to these magnificent shy creatures. To me that's what hunting is all about...

I had the big luck to take two beautiful steenbok on my last safari in the Tuli Block area in Botswana, even though they were not even close to the size of that big boy above. I also got a really cute grey duiker, and can't wait to add more species to my list of the little guys.

-

-

-

Next year I'm going to Zambia, and I hope to be able to add a Sharpes Grysbok and an Oribi to my list... [Big Grin]

Posts: 49 | Location: Copenhagen, Denmark | Registered: 22 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
Mighty Joe.....that's one fine steenbok. WOW!!

Tommy has a couple too and it appears as though we've formed the Steenbok appreciation club here.

I took a nice Grey Duikwer, horns just slightly longer than the ears....but next time I'll be looking for a steenbok to join the little guys club.

<DavidP>
posted
That is one FANTASTIC Steenbok! Well Done!

one of us
Picture of Tanoose
posted Hide Post
Noticed the fence in the backround , where did you shoot that buck Tommy?

Posts: 869 | Location: Bellerose,NY USA | Registered: 27 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tommy Igi
posted Hide Post
Tanoose, the name of the place we hunted was Leeubos Safaris in Botswana. They still had some cattle in a few areas at the range but were in the process to change completely to a game range. At the time we were there they hadn't had time yet to take all the cattle fences down on the entire property, but the fences left didn't keep the animals from roaming freely, since it had been run down for every few meters. Not a "canned hunt" in SA... ;-)

Posts: 49 | Location: Copenhagen, Denmark | Registered: 22 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tanoose
posted Hide Post
Cool Tommy , nice pics, i am curious as to the rifle , the caliber and scope combo you used.

Posts: 869 | Location: Bellerose,NY USA | Registered: 27 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
If it helps Tommy, My grandfather and grand mother on my mother's side originally immigrated from Denmark.

You'd love the stories of them in the late 1930's

one of us
Picture of Tommy Igi
posted Hide Post
Tanoose, the rifle I brought for the smaller game was an Italian made Sabatti in .30-06. It's topped with a good and cheap Tasco World Class Pluss 3,5-10x50. I was shooting Speer Hot-Cor 165gr spitzer sp bullets, loaded with 59gr Norma 204 in Norma brass. Worked on everything...

You can have a look here Photos from my first african safari

vapodog: You'd bet I'd love to hear those stories!! [Smile]

Tommy

[ 09-18-2003, 14:25: Message edited by: Tommy Igi ]

One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
Shortly after Hitler invaded Denmark in WWII My (Danish) grandfather was working in his blacksmith shop in a small town in southern Minnesota.

A man that lived down the street (of German decent) walked in and said to my grandfather, "See here Charlie?" (pointing to veins in his arm) "German blood runs through these veins."

Granpa grabbed a board with a nail sticking out of it and hollered "well, we'll let some of it out of you".

He started swinging the board chasing the German out of his shop, across the street, through the Ford garage, and then down main street.

Gramps was certainly trying to let some of that blood out of the man, but he never caught him.