ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICA HUNTING REPORT FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Hunting Reports - Africa    Re: How come I don't see any brothers hunting?

Moderators: T.Carr
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: How come I don't see any brothers hunting?
 Login/Join

Administrator
posted
mynameis,

Welcome to the forums.

I think there are plenty of people going hunting to Africa besides just whites.

It just did not seem important to mention whether you are black, brown, yellow, white or any combination of the above.

What bring us all together is our love of hunting.

I personally know a number of black people from the UAE who go hunting.

Posts: 67053 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Can't really comment on Africa, but here in Colorado you can find just about anybody up in the mountains during hunting season. Camaraderie and the hunt are more important than race.

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
A good example is fishing, go to any large fishing area and you will find people of all colors fishing.

Now open a Bass Pro or Cabellas fishing catalog and tell me how many people of color do you find in the pages? Hunting isn't that different.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
You guys are so right about fishing...

I was in South Africa several years ago and was suprised to see a black guy out shark fishing with two white Boer Farmers...mind you, the black fella was on the wet end of the rope!

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's all a matter of an individuals sphere of influence. I've been guided by people from many different ethnic backgrounds, but we all shared a common love of the outdoors.

NBA star Karl Malone is big into hunting. I had a black PH in Botswana two years ago.

Posts: 219 | Location: Reading, PA | Registered: 15 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
I think it is quite common for two brothers to go hunting together. If they both share the interest what a great trip it would make and memories later on.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
One of the best lion hunters in Africa is a gentleman by the name of Peter Chipman.

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
<rws2>
posted
I've found over the years that when it came to raising beef cattle and hunting color never mattered.
But I think at least part of the reason Blacks don't hunt as much is oppertunity.The inner city ghetto lifestyle keeps the Black man down.Not because he can't leave it but more becaused thats how he is raised.The average Black from the innercity never hunts because theres nothing hunt in the ghetto but Ho's and dope and jingle!

one of us
Picture of OMUHONA
posted Hide Post
Pete

Just for the record, the word "boer", is the Afrikaans [language], word for 'farmer', or when I 'boer', I farm.
Trust me, I am one.

As for our brothers, our Namibian president, Sam Nujoma, is a keen and accomplished hunter.During the 2001 season, he
took a kudu and a warthog and both were above the SCI record book minimum.He received gold and silver medals, awarded for the trophies at a NAPHA ceremony in Windhoek.

Weidmannsheil!!!

Posts: 74 | Location: Felseneck-Namibia | Registered: 08 October 2003Reply With Quote
<mikeh416Rigby>
posted
On my first "big" hunting trip, I went up to Quebec to hunt Caribou. There were 2 black guys from the Detroit Chapter of SCI in camp. They were 2 of the nicest guys you could ever ask to be around-lots of fun, and they knew their stuff. In Namibia, Jan Oelofse has 2 black P.H.s working for him-Naftali, and Phillipus. I'd but their skills up against anyones. I've never personally seen any blacks hunting as clients in Africa, although this past week on the Outdoor Channel there was a show on with a black show host hunting in Africa. I don't recall which country he was hunting in.

<mikeh416Rigby>
posted
John, I don't know if your reply was tongue in cheek, but if not, the term "brother" is also a slang term for blacks, as well as a male sibling. I thing the original post was asking about the former.

One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
A interesting comment from a PH I once hunted with.

He had a black American client hunting with him on safari once. He actually was a basketballer or some professional sportsman.

This PH might come across a little racist but actually wasn't at all. He was very tough on his staff but actually treated them better than a lot of others around him and had a personal friendship with his tracker. Really he didn't just suffer fools or incompetents and his own staff were well trained, competent and seemed happy.

Anyway he had absolutely no problems having a black client and got on well him and had a good hunt. Probably not to be said for a lot of PHs from my experience.

The people that DIDN'T cope with a black client were the BLACK staff. They couldn't cope with serving and giving good service with a black man. For example they didn't like him eating at the clients table, he was supposed to eat with them around back somewhere etc. All the luxuries were for whites as I suppose clients were always or usually white.

I guess the "brothers" sometimes are the most racist and hard to deal with.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
I've been teaching a youg Black guy at work how to shoot and reload. I've taught him how to properly shoot a pistol and even rewelded his sights so that he can see them from the side of his Glock, Ghetto style!!!( Thats a Joke) He and my son are both martial artists and the whole process is actually really kinda neat. He's doing well and may someday acually be a decent shot. To be honest after Vietnam I could not care less what anyone's color is! He wants to hunt Africa nd I hope that he gets the chance.-Rob

Posts: 6314 | Location: Las Vegas,NV | Registered: 10 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You don't see as many that live in the city hunting, just as there are fewer hunters per capita in cities in general. In rural Missouri, where almost everyone hunts, all the black residents hunt as well, and I have hunted deer with many of them. Once again we find out that there really isn't any difference. while in Namibia, my PH had a black PH working for him who had completed the PH requirements for Namibia which he said were most extensive, having to start out as a tracker then apprentice, for a couple of years before being eligible to take the PH tests.

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was hunting in a rural part of Natal last year on a "biltong" hunt, and we came across two "brothers" that were hunting on the same farm. One was an engineer for the power company, and the other one was a doctor. They were both quite experienced hunters from what I could gather.

A couple of years ago, I was in Rosenthal's gun shop in Windhoek and a black man came in looking with his old style Ruger 77 in .458 Win Mag. He was looking for another one just like it. Evidently, he lived up north, near the Caprivi and has worked as a control officer for Nature Conservation for quite some time and is also an avid hunter.

When I was playing football at Oregon State, several of the black members of the team enjoyed deer hunting. The ones who did were usually from the south.

Posts: 643 | Location: DeRidder, Louisiana USA | Registered: 12 August 2001Reply With Quote