ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICA HUNTING REPORT FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Hunting Reports - Africa    Hunting with Omalanga Safaris- Part I Oryx Camp (Namibia)

Moderators: T.Carr
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hunting with Omalanga Safaris- Part I Oryx Camp (Namibia)
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hunter: Jim Dally
Observer: My wife Mischel
Travel Dates: 16JUL08-01AUG08 (Eight days sightseeing/ Eight days hunting)
Safari Company: Omalanga Safaris
PH: Phillip Oosthuizen
Animals sought: Kudu, Sprinbok, Warthog, Impala, Gemsbok, Zebra
Animals taken: Kudu, Springbok, Warthog, Gemsbok, Blue Wildebeest, Plains Zebra, Mountain Zebra, Duiker, Blesbok
Rifles: Pre 64 Model 70 300 H&H, CZ550 375 H&H

I always had the urge to travel to Africa for hunting and touring. After telling my wife I wished to go on a hunting trip to Africa she said “great, but not without me!â€

After some research, we settled on Namibia as our destination. We decided to spend half our time in country sightseeing around Namibia and the other half hunting. We booked our trip with Omalanga Safaris early in 2007 after meeting Dirk and Rita Rohrmann at the SCI Reno show (Rita is the sister of Gunter Schwalm, owner of Omalanga Safaris). Also, Rita planned the tour portion of our trip for Mischel and I. She did a wonderful job. All our tours and accommodations were excellent!

We drove ourselves from Windhoek to Swakopmund where we went on a desert tour. We then proceeded to Omaruru, where we spent one night at the Omburu farm to split up the trip between Swakopmund and Etosha. We spent three nights at the Toshari Lodge while touring Etosha Park. Toshari Lodge was really nice. Finally, we drove through Etosha to Tseumeb where our PH Phillip Oosthuizen gathered us up after we turned in our rental car. We traveled to our first hunting camp.

The first camp we hunted was Oryx Camp, about 45 kilometers north of Otjiwarongo. Here we hunted for Plains Zebra, Kudo, Springbok, Warthog, Oryx and Impala.

23JUL08- We arrived at Oryx camp, where we met the the other hunter in camp, my brother Charlie. He would hunt with Dirk Rohrmann the next eight days. We stowed our gear, sighted in our rifles and rested up for the next day’s hunting.

24JUL08- Mischel and I head out with Phillip and our tracker Gottfried about 0600. The first animal we try for is Springbok. We attempt several stalks, but no luck. Finally a shot presents itself. Up go the sticks-bang-springbok runs away. Phillip says “miss, too high.†My hand are shaking a little-maybe stage fright? Phillip decides we should go look for Gemsbok. We spot a herd and begin the stalk. We move fairly close in, about 130 yards and glass. Phillip finds a nice old cow. We wait for her to clear the herd. I shoot and she goes down. Now I am more confident of my shooting and forget about the nervous miss earlier in the morning.

After brunch and a rest, Phillip, Gottfried and I go out looking for Springbok. We spot a nice ram bedded down. We use a termite mound for cover and stalk close. Phillip sets the sticks and I prepare for the shot. One shot and down.

We take the Sprinbok to the skinning shed and head back towards camp. On the way back, Phillip spots a herd of Blue Wildebeest. He finds a nice old bull and asks if I would like to stalk him. I say sure (I’m glad I brought extra cash!). We circle back to get the wind in our favor and jump off the back of the truck behind cover as the truck continues on. We stalk within about 150 yards and Phillip sets the sticks. The bull is quartering away as I take the shot. The bull falls down and then jumps up and starts spinning around as he runs away from us. I shoot again and miss. One more shot and the bull goes down for good. The first shot went in through the gut, passed through the heart and one lung. We found the bullet in the off shoulder. The final shot that anchored the bull for good struck at the tail base.

25JUL08- Once again, we get up early to start our hunt again. Phillip and I ride the high seat while Gottfried drives and my wife rides in the cab. We see a nice Kudu bull but are unable to successfully stock him. Next we see Zebra, so we decide to hunt them. After picking our way through the thorn brush, we find a nice old mare. Phillip sets the sticks and we wait for her to present a clear shot. I don’t think she will show herself as the rest of the herd is nervously looking around for us. She takes several steps away from the herd into the open and stops. Phillip whispers, “You must shoot now!†I shoot and down she goes. The 260 grain Accubonds that I am shooting impress me.

After lunch we decide to look for Warthog. Mischel borrows a Ruger .243 from my brother as she thinks now she would like to hunt a Gemsbok (before the trip she swore she didn’t want to hunt anything, just watch. After stalking some animal and a bit of gentle persuasion from Phillip she decides to hunt her own Gemsbok). We park our truck several hundred yards from a waterhole Phillip wants to watch for Warthog. As we walk toward the blind, several warthogs out of the brush and stop. Phillip looks at them and says one is nice. Now they begin to run in all directions. Phillip says “shoot the one running to the right.†I shoot and down it goes.

After gathering up the truck, Phillip decides now would be a good time for Mischel to take a few practice shots. She shoots with me at home and has her own Model 70, but would like to shoot this Ruger just to get a feel for it. Phillip sets the sticks for her and she dry fires a few times, and then shoots at a termite mound a hundred yards away. Phillip then places a melon sized dirt clod at 130 yards and instructs her to shoot at it. One shot and the dirt clod explodes with a center hit. We try several stalks on Gemsbok, but can’t get into position for Mischel to shoot before they run off. We head back toward camp and decide try to find duiker on the way back. We find one, stalk it and shoot it.

26JUL08- Today concentrate on Kudu. We spot a bull and stalk him for an hour and a half. We spot him in the brush several times but can’t get a shot. Finally we see him jump a fence and start running down the main public road about eight hundred yards away. Phillip calls for the truck to pick us up. In the meantime, the Kudu jumps back over the fence and into thorn brush. Phillip and I circle around and him and start stalking again. Finally we get a clear shot through the brush. I shoot and down the Kudu goes.

Phillip asks Mischel if she would like to try for a Gemsbok from a blind. She likes this idea as she feels she can stead herself and take her time preparing for the shot. We sit in a blind that overlooks a plain, lots of brush and some water. A lone bull wanders out of the brush. Phillip tells Mischel to get ready. The bull stops and Mischel shoots. Phillip says “perfect shot!!†The bull staggers about 70 yards and falls. The Partition from the .243 has broken the shoulder, taken out the heart and lungs and come to rest under the skin on the offside shoulder. I am ecstatic and hope Mischel will continue hunting with me !!

After lunch, Phillip and I look for a Steenbok-no luck. We do spot some Jackal, and I shoot one at 370 yards with my .300 H&H.

Fun on the Landcruiser!

The remainder of our hunt took place at Omalanga's Mopane camp near Otavi. I will share the remaining pictures and details later, as now I must go hunt elk.
I must say Omalanga provides great hunting opportunities and service. The tented accomodations were great. The staff was excellent. Our PH Phillip Oosthuizen was the best!

Jim Dally

Posts: 156 | Location: Brush Prairie, Washington | Registered: 04 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Nice hunt and great pictures. My wife now goes with me on a regular basis and we enjoy it together.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
om the photo I cannot tell. Does the other horn match the one that is showing on that Duiker. If so, he is quite a trophy.

We seldom get to choose
But I've seen them go both ways
And I would rather go out in a blaze of glory
Than to slowly rot away!

Posts: 1370 | Location: Shreveport,La.USA | Registered: 08 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ej
posted Hide Post
Great pics and story. Wife and I go for 2nd trip next year. cant wait .

Africa Bug " Embrace the bite , live for adventure "
EJ Carter 2011

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eyedoc:
om the photo I cannot tell. Does the other horn match the one that is showing on that Duiker. If so, he is quite a trophy.

Yes, the horns match.

Jim

Posts: 156 | Location: Brush Prairie, Washington | Registered: 04 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of steve_robinson
posted Hide Post
Jim, looks like you had a great time! Congratulations on some fine trophies, I'll be there next June.

Steve(NOT Shakari)Robinson
NRA Life Member
SCI Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 219 | Location: Arlington, WA | Registered: 26 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Nice report Jim, I'm eager to see the rest.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12552 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JimD:
quote:
Originally posted by eyedoc:

Yes, the horns match.

Jim

Looks at least 5 inches? Bloody nice duiker!

Nice oryx too....

Verbera!, Iugula!, Iugula!!!

Blair.

Posts: 8808 | Location: Sydney, Australia. | Registered: 21 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for sharing. Looking forward to part II.

Proud DRSS member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
JimD,
You had a great hunt. Thanks for sharing.

Posts: 135 | Location: Canton, Ga. USA | Registered: 30 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Loved the report. Brought me right back to Africa and our hunt with Omalanga.

Thanks much.

Posts: 85 | Location: The oasis of Nevada | Registered: 26 June 2006Reply With Quote